Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

Would the MGG kept their previous Regiments buttons or GMGR ? JG

In general, regimental buttons were rare/ unusual: a few regiments or battalions, and some senior NCOs. There is a thread on this on the forum. Most ORs wore GS buttons [or rifles buttons]. This does not in any way help with the question!

Would the MGG kept their previous Regiments buttons or GMGR ? JG

Once the GMGR was formed they had their own buttons, but I don't believe that the GMGB did have specific buttons and so as Guardsmen they probably wore their previous regiment's buttons.

Louise,

He's an actor - the caption says 'Charles Spalding in Called Back' (presumably the name of the play he was in). cool.gif

Looks like he's supposed to be a Naval officer.

Good job someone can read! I thought it said "aka [something]". Oh well, he'll have to stay now or your comments will be sitting in thin air. whistle.png

If correct, presumably:

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&d=OG19150915.2.35

Charles Horner, KRRC

Lance Corporal C7591 Charles Horner KRRC quite probably - the only MIC to a Charles Horner in the KRRC I've found (entitled to SWB only by the looks of it).

cheers

Steve

Unknown York and Lancaster Regiment officer and his batman.

Are you sure it is his batman? It would be extremely unusual to have a full Cpl employed as batman, there are only so many of them on the battalion establishment and they have a specific role to fulfil (LCpls were used for all the odd jobs and could be created or reduced at the whim of the CO). Officers servants were generally required to be private soldiers with at least 2-years service and no 'crime' (i.e. entries on regimental conduct sheet).

No, I am not sure but I had to think of a snappy caption for the post. If he is the batman he has polished his own boots considerably better than he has polished the Officer's.

Yes, he most certainly has, he also has higher than OR quality breeches that contrast sharply with the rough serge of his jacket. My 'guess' (and it is only a guess) is that he is the company clerk, who had access to all sorts of privileges via Coy HQ.

Could the officer and corperal be related ?

Could the officer and corperal be related ?

Yes I believe so, quite possibly and that would be a far more logical reason for an officer and OR to be photographed together during a much more formal era than today.

L/Corporal 287 Arthur Rhys Daniel, 1st Welsh Guards, kia 17.10.1915 age 25 :poppy:

post-20062-0-57608800-1312216261.jpg

A couple of gentlemen resting on a horse - cap badge scan included (not readily apparent here, but I'd say it's a GR surmounted by a crown). Another very faint one.

post-49061-0-44124400-1312232553.jpg

post-49061-0-21966100-1312233024.jpg

A couple of gentlemen resting on a horse - cap badge scan included (not readily apparent here, but I'd say it's a GR surmounted by a crown). Another very faint one.

I think it's the badge of the National Reserve; basically, just a GvR cypher, surmounted by a crown. It's similar to the early badge of the RDC, but that has a smaller crown and a scroll underneath.

Absolutely nothing, I'm afraid. It's been glued to something and the whole of the back has pulled away. A shame. It's apparent that very few of the cards in the collection started life in the postcard album provided, but can't complain that someone's lovingly put them together I guess.

Today's addition - a dapper looking Artillery man: again, unfortunately no hint as to who he was.

post-49061-0-38150100-1312319316.jpg

Absolutely nothing, I'm afraid. It's been glued to something and the whole of the back has pulled away. A shame. It's apparent that very few of the cards in the collection started life in the postcard album provided, but can't complain that someone's lovingly put them together I guess.

Today's addition - a dapper looking Artillery man: again, unfortunately no hint as to who he was.

Great look at overseas chevrons and just by the white dot on his left arm, looks like a good conduct strip. Looks braided.

Shoes very well polished. Mounted man Driver? With spurs and riding crop.

Simon

Great look at overseas chevrons and just by the white dot on his left arm, looks like a good conduct strip. Looks braided.

Shoes very well polished. Mounted man Driver? With spurs and riding crop.

Simon

or RHA gunner or driver?

and yes, good conduct badge, war economy issue chevron

A Mystery Group. From the left to right am I right in thinking they are a Rifleman of the KRRC and then two men of the Middlesex Regiment? The others I have not yet been able to identify. Any ideas?

mysterygroup.jpg

Thanks

Jonathan

KOYLI seated in the middle, and I think Suffolk standing far right with RE standing next to him.

Thanks Simon and Grumpy - I would have completely missed the good conduct stripe, but having put it under the loupe I can confirm it's got a diamond pattern. Unfortunately the white marks are on the original and it's been used as a coaster (thankfully on the reverse). It's been cut down but I've just noticed the remains of a stamp on the back "16 Sep 1918". The studio had two locations, Hull and Beverley - and it has the stamp of the former. So thanks for making me look at it again!

Thanks Simon and Grumpy - I would have completely missed the good conduct stripe, but having put it under the loupe I can confirm it's got a diamond pattern. Unfortunately the white marks are on the original and it's been used as a coaster (thankfully on the reverse). It's been cut down but I've just noticed the remains of a stamp on the back "16 Sep 1918". The studio had two locations, Hull and Beverley - and it has the stamp of the former. So thanks for making me look at it again!

Your very welcome. I'm no expert just say what I see lol. Mainly from this fantastic Forum.

Simon

KOYLI seated in the middle, and I think Suffolk standing far right with RE standing next to him.

I'd go for Suffolk Regt on the far right as well - quite a mixed bunch all-in-all!

Thanks for all the replies. It's very much appreciated. Could the man seated front right be of the Army Cyclist Corps?

It does look very much like it, plus he is wearing breeches / pantaloons, and apparently no spurs, so I'd say yes.