Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

100% certain ASC with the drivers coat and the 03 belt with pouches.

This is a group of soldiers from the 16th (Public Schools) battalion, Middlesex Regiment. They are identified on the back by their rank, initials and surname as follows:

L/Cpl T.J. Mooney; P.C. Pertwee; J.V.T; J.C. Hindson; W.H. Day; L/C E Waterhouse (MA); A. Lowther & N.L. Muddiman. The little french girl is not named.

I have identified them as: PS/1692 L/Cpl Thomas J Mooney; PS/1197 Pte Paul Charles Robert Pertwee,later 2nd Lieutenant, The Queen’s Regt; PS/916 Pte John Venables Ticehurst; G/25246 Pte Joseph C Hindson; PS/2045 Pte William Hugh Day, later 2nd Lieutenant, Middlesex Regt; PS/2031 L/Cpl Edgar Waterhouse; PS/2151 Pte Alfred Henry Lowther & PS/479 Pte Norman Lawrence Muddiman.

I am not sure why Joseph Hindson does not have a PS prefix.

Nice one. The lack of PS prefix indicates that he was posted into the battalion, rather than enlisted into it. His G = general service and was common to almost all "Home Counties" regiments wartime enlistments except the men who asked for/ went into a unit such as PS.

Hi,

Does anyone have any photos/postcards relating to the 18th Battalion King's Royal Rifle Corps?

Hopefully somebody might have one which is a big group photo/postcard

Tom

Possibly pre-war

post-1302-0-34199500-1308140527.jpg

Definitely pre-1905, he is wearing the Staff Cap that was replaced in that year.

post-599-0-09453500-1310292360.jpg

Definitely pre-1905, he is wearing the Staff Cap that was replaced in that year.

Apart from the fact he's not military - he's an adult instructor with the Church Lads Brigade, who wore that pattern cap possibly up until 1920. Both the Cadets of the C.L.B. and Boys Brigade were also wearing the pilbox cap right up until 1914.

Other wearers of the Staff Cap were senior Police Officers, Prison Officers and the S.J.A.B., all after 1905.

Apart from the fact he's not military - he's an adult instructor with the Church Lads Brigade, who wore that pattern cap possibly up until 1920. Both the Cadets of the C.L.B. and Boys Brigade were also wearing the pilbox cap right up until 1914.

Other wearers of the Staff Cap were senior Police Officers, Prison Officers and the S.J.A.B., all after 1905.

That's interesting to learn. It is easy to forget that so many of the civilian organizations of that time aped military style and wore quasi military uniforms. All a far cry from such as the postmen in their shorts and para-medics with their green boiler suits of today.

Boys Brigade in Hove in 1945 were wearing peaked staff cap for officers and pill box for lads. Pity their bugles had only one tune, and a long march, right past our house.

And some Australian public employees ..... men .... manage to look brilliantly smart in tailored shorts and long socks.

The British male does something to shorts, and its not a pretty sight.

post-894-0-01903300-1310313449.jpg

I have a few postcards which show Belgian wounded in Herne Bay and this man appears in several. Can anyone advise me what his uniform represents, he is, I assume, some form of nursing staff but is it British or Belgian ? Any info gratefully received. Steve

post-1302-0-87877500-1310659144.jpgpost-1302-0-93623000-1310659160.jpgpost-1302-0-42302400-1310659173.jpg

Australian army medical officer.

Edit; I thought at first glance that he had a pip on his epaulette, and it does appear in more than one pic, but MO's were Lieut or above, so maybe a 2/Lt, but not sure what his role would be....? That's a red cross on his upper arm, so definitely medical staff of some kind, and a Divisional flash (don't ask me which one....) on his shoulder.

More like a Boy Scout officer surely: scoutleader-type badge on hat, scout-type flash on arm waving in breeze, scout type ambulance badge ..... scout Hat, scout lanyard, scout belt with swivel .......... I wore the lot. The collar and tie is not a British Scout Movement thing, however.

I must admit my initial thought was some form of scout but I assumed he looked a little too old and I didn't realise that they wore Sam Browne Belts as per one of the previous photo.

Another closer view.

Steve

post-1302-0-71862100-1310665275.jpg

As mentioned by Grumpy, it's not really a Sam Browne belt, it's an adapted Boy Scout belt.

[great photo at 2211, Grumpy - I have a similar one taken at Cretingham...]

As mentioned by Grumpy, it's not really a Sam Browne belt, it's an adapted Boy Scout belt.

[great photo at 2211, Grumpy - I have a similar one taken at Cretingham...]

I hope you don't think that is me [well, it is, after a couple or three ...............!]

Anyway, he IS A SCOUTER OF SOME SORT it shrieks out at me.

[signed, ex Troop Leader, Scout Master, Senior Scout Master, Queen's Scout etc etc]

This picture of Bdr H R Hawkins, RGA, taken at Fort Elson in Gosport, has a wealth of detail. He is wearing his Imperial Service badge and what appears to be a temperence medal as well as a marksman's badge. His 1908 pattern webbing is hanging above him as is his cutlery and shaving roll.

post-6480-0-58509500-1310810252.jpg

I think we can agree the crossed something badge is not crossed rifles [RA did not shoot for musketry prizes, although RE did] but crossed cannon with crown above, the badge for members of the First Prize winning battery. Much rarer!

And should he have a bayonet, I ask myself?

I think we can agree the crossed something badge is not crossed rifles [RA did not shoot for musketry prizes, although RE did] but crossed cannon with crown above, the badge for members of the First Prize winning battery. Much rarer!

And should he have a bayonet, I ask myself?

Gunners were always equipped with a bayonet if they were established for a rifle/carbine (Gunners and Drivers were equipped slightly differently). For many years they had their own pattern of bayonet, as old versions were modified to fit whatever pattern of carbine they were using at the time.

Bayonet and webbing close up.

Very interesting to see his holdall, mans, (roll) with its toothbrush, shaving brush, knife, fork spoon and razor. These were still issued as late as the 1980s.

The badge later became used to mark out the appointment of an assistant instructor of gunnery (on the right sleeve), but you can see the King's Crown variant at left of the enclosed illustration.

post-599-0-17359800-1310842601.jpg