Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

Gloster and Hereford ?

Yes and the Gloster looks as if he is wearing either TF (V) or Militia Bn cloth titles. He also has a cloth cover to his SD cap and both have utility tunics making the photo likely to be 1915. I imagine the Hereford (TF) lad could be a brother or cousin, or maybe even an old school 'pal'. I wonder if they survived. It seems a poignant photo to me, like so many of this kind.

Thomas Williams, Liverpool Scottish ? wound stripe, just cannot make out the flash at the top of his sleeve.

post-20062-0-01906000-1312732714.jpg

John

If he was 1/10th it should be a 55th Division red rose badge but looking at the photo I can't be 100% sure that it is! The battalion flash was worn on the back of the jacket, two black rectangles 3" x 1", worn vertically just below the collar.

2/10th wore a yellow triangle at the top of the sleeve above bars of company colour but I can't make it out as that.

Mike

Part of a family post card I have just brought, MGC collars, Coldstream Guards cap badge, shoulder titles, and with a cloth title which I can just make out, bottom bit says Guards. There is some lettering above which looks like Machine Gun.

post-20062-0-62236400-1312804489.jpg

Part of a family post card I have just brought, MGC collars, Coldstream Guards cap badge, shoulder titles, and with a cloth title which I can just make out, bottom bit says Guards. There is some lettering above which looks like Machine Gun.

Plus wound stripe and good conduct chevron. Proud Mum. Great pic.

is the shoulder title the gilding metal CG and rose, or is it worsted please? Might it be a slip-on or sewn on worsted?

Hi Grumpy, the shoulder title is the gilding metal with the cloth title under the epoulette.

Full photo, he is one big guardsman.

I would love to know if he survived. How distraught all his sisters would have been if not.

Think we've discussed these before - it may be a transitional pattern before the Machine Gun Guards cap badge (the five-pointed, much faked, Star badge came in). Please note: not/not the 'Guards Machine Gun Brigade'.

And it certainly pre-dates the Guards Machine Gun Regiment in 1918, where the manpower was formed from 'dehorsed' Household Cavalry. Great pic.

my interest in the S/T was because it is widely believed that the CG were unique in not adopting worsted xxxxxxx Guards on a coloured background during the later part of the war, a la 1902 pattern white letters on scarlet.

Like any "not" theory, only a single foto will destroy it!

I have recently acquired the Grenade GG S/T on original backing plate, very nice it is too. I had all the others, and the later Royal Cypher GG version.

Am delighted with this find today: postcard complete with a double-sided photo locket - all for a tenner!

The label said: "Paul Atkinson Died in War W Yorks Regt Farnley Man", while the name and 1914 appear on the back.

Was slightly disappointed to find that I wasn't immediately able to locate him on CWGC and started wondering if a name had been picked out of thin air, but SDGW has:-

Name: Paul Atkinson

Birth Place: Leeds

Death Date: 20 Sep 1917

Death Location: France & Flanders

Enlistment Location:Leeds

Regiment: Northumberland Fusiliers

Battalion: 10th Battalion

Number: 41837

Type of Casualty: Died

Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

Comments: Formerly 21904, West Yorks Regt.

and was delighted to match him up with his CWCG entry:-

Name:ATKINSON, PAUL

Initials: P

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Northumberland Fusiliers

Unit Text: 10th Bn.

Date of Death: 20/09/1917

Service No: 41837

Additional information: Son of Garside and Fanny Atkinson, of 21, Park View, New Farnley, Leeds.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: IX. F. 44.

Cemetery: YPRES RESERVOIR CEMETERY

In 1911, 15 year old Paul was living with his parents and five sisters at 21 Playground, Farnley, Leeds - not so very far from my home. I note from his MIC that it's only for the Fusiliers' service and has no qualifying date, so presumably he only saw home service during his time with the W Yorks and didn't go abroad until 1917. It also contains a note "Pres dead".

Not forgotten. poppy.gif

Slightly OT, but I also attach the other photo in the locket: looks a bit young for Fanny, so presumably the girl he left behind.

post-49061-0-66882300-1313162131.jpg

post-49061-0-16811300-1313162259.jpg

Am delighted with this find today: postcard complete with a double-sided photo locket - all for a tenner!

The label said: "Paul Atkinson Died in War W Yorks Regt Farnley Man", while the name and 1914 appear on the back.

Was slightly disappointed to find that I wasn't immediately able to locate him on CWGC and started wondering if a name had been picked out of thin air, but SDGW has:-

Name: Paul Atkinson

Birth Place: Leeds

Death Date: 20 Sep 1917

Death Location: France & Flanders

Enlistment Location:Leeds

Regiment: Northumberland Fusiliers

Battalion: 10th Battalion

Number: 41837

Type of Casualty: Died

Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

Comments: Formerly 21904, West Yorks Regt.

and was delighted to match him up with his CWCG entry:-

Name:ATKINSON, PAUL

Initials: P

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Northumberland Fusiliers

Unit Text: 10th Bn.

Date of Death: 20/09/1917

Service No: 41837

Additional information: Son of Garside and Fanny Atkinson, of 21, Park View, New Farnley, Leeds.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: IX. F. 44.

Cemetery: YPRES RESERVOIR CEMETERY

In 1911, 15 year old Paul was living with his parents and five sisters at 21 Playground, Farnley, Leeds - not so very far from my home. I note from his MIC that it's only for the Fusiliers' service and has no qualifying date, so presumably he only saw home service during his time with the W Yorks and didn't go abroad until 1917. It also contains a note "Pres dead".

Not forgotten. poppy.gif

Slightly OT, but I also attach the other photo in the locket: looks a bit young for Fanny, so presumably the girl he left behind.

Interesting to see W Yorks collar badges on SD at such an early date.

I also wonder if Graham Stewart might have a NF war diary for the 10th Battalion that will give an indication of how he died.

post-599-0-44697000-1313175957.jpg

Looks like regimental buttons on the unknown Staffs sgt. Also unusual to see bayonet! I wonder if he was regimental police?

TT

Orderly sergeants wore side arms as a 'mark of office', or he might have been teaching bayonet drill.

Thanks for that Frogsmile: I could see that they were the three feathers. Of course I only have what was written on the back of the card when I received it and all that can be said for certain was that he transferred at some point before going abroad (I see I put 1917, rather than 1916), but I have no real reason to doubt it. Perhaps he was a TF man for that photo to have been taken in 1914?

Thanks High Wood - I'll dig that thread out.

In the meantime, I don't believe I've posted this shot of two fine looking lads. Possibly brothers?

post-49061-0-42141100-1313318968.jpg

Thanks for that Frogsmile: I could see that they were the three feathers. Of course I only have what was written on the back of the card when I received it and all that can be said for certain was that he transferred at some point before going abroad (I see I put 1917, rather than 1916), but I have no real reason to doubt it. Perhaps he was a TF man for that photo to have been taken in 1914?

Thanks High Wood - I'll dig that thread out.

In the meantime, I don't believe I've posted this shot of two fine looking lads. Possibly brothers?

He could be TF, but it would be unusual at that early stage of the war to have omitted the 'T' and number above the W YORK titles. Note what High Wood said about likely battalions who wore collar badges though. It would seem that they were indeed TF.

The man with possible brother is in the Middlesex Regt (the man in civilian clothes has a lapel badge of that regiment too), is a signaller and has been wounded twice.

R x x

I believe a member of my family is the chap on the right. Ernest Floyd. Is there any info that can be gleaned from it apart from the location please?

post-39423-0-87271700-1313401903.jpg