Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

Detail of group at Giant`s Causeway 1909

James

This appears to be a sergeant of the Army Ordnance Corps with a red collar and cuffs on his dark blue frock and a double red stripe down the outer seam of his trousers.The image enclosed shows a much later uniform but illustrates the trouser stripes well.

post-599-0-95270800-1314621280.jpg

This appears to be a sergeant of the Army Ordnance Corps with a red collar and cuffs on his dark blue frock and a double red stripe down the outer seam of his trousers.The image enclosed shows a much later uniform but illustrates the trouser stripes well.

That one is from a very nice set of the Territorial Army issued by Player's - thanks for posting it Frogsmile.

That one is from a very nice set of the Territorial Army issued by Player's - thanks for posting it Frogsmile.

This one shows the actual AOC uniform in the original post.

post-599-0-57256500-1314704036.jpg

Many thanks Frogsmile for your very informative reply. All very much appreciated.

Apologies for not acknowledging your post sooner as my computer crashed and i`m now using a friend`s computer.

James

Able Seaman BZ/325 Victor Coombs, B coy Benbow Bn. RNVR transfered to Nelson Bn. 12.6.1915, kia 13.7.1915 :poppy:

post-20062-0-89965200-1315596469.jpg

5th or 6th Bn. Notts and Derby. What would the machine gun be ?

It's a Maxim Gun on its 'Infantry' field carriage. After the Regular battalions were equipped with the Vickers Gun, the earlier Maxims were passed to the TF. Once the TF deployed in WW1 their older equipment, including Maxims and Long Lee Enfields were gradually replaced. Initially each cavalry regiment and each infantry battalion had a section of 2 guns under an officer.

post-599-0-55308400-1315841554.jpg

And photo.

post-599-0-66166100-1315841607.jpg

Latest acquisition. I think I can see two different cap badges, but not sure what.

This is a post 1937 photograph showing ORs (apart from the man standing in peaked cap) in the new battle dress (BD) and universal field service cap (FSC) introduced in that year. There is symbology indicating it is either a cavalry or yeomanry regiment as the man at front and centre is flanked by both a bugle (mounted calls) and trumpet (dismounted calls).

This is a post 1937 photograph showing ORs (apart from the man standing in peaked cap) in the new battle dress (BD) and universal field service cap (FSC) introduced in that year. There is symbology indicating it is either a cavalry or yeomanry regiment as the man at front and centre is flanked by both a bugle (dismounted calls) and trumpet (mounted calls).

I know you meant bugle mounted/ trumpet dismounted ..... trumpet keys a b*gger when controlling a norse!

Not that I have relevant experience except playing a bugle [badly but noisily]

I know you meant bugle mounted/ trumpet dismounted ..... trumpet keys a b*gger when controlling a norse!

Not that I have relevant experience except playing a bugle [badly but noisily]

Yes, spot on and I have edited the original post to make that clear. The command was....."Bugler - sound the Charge".....after all

Yes, spot on and I have edited the original post to make that clear. The command was....."Bugler - sound the Charge".....after all

not to mention "spit, boy, spit!" in ZULU!

The naughties in my class [a majority] took bugle mouth pieces into class. With a rolled into cone shape rough book, a splendid bugle when master's back was turned.

This is a post 1937 photograph ....

Oh well - a cheap enough Ebay buy: definitely sold as a WW1 postcard (just double-checked) and colourwise and condition looks the part. Even if they had shown a supersize copy I wouldn't have doubted them, though I had suspicions about the two that came with it. Guess it's "caveat emptor". Pointless removing it in view of your delightful discussion with Grumpy!

Oh well - a cheap enough Ebay buy: definitely sold as a WW1 postcard (just double-checked) and colourwise and condition looks the part. Even if they had shown a supersize copy I wouldn't have doubted them, though I had suspicions about the two that came with it. Guess it's "caveat emptor". Pointless removing it in view of your delightful discussion with Grumpy!

Yes it is difficult and you really have to know your uniforms to avoid being 'had'. The men are generally quite old, especially the WOs flanking the seated row and at best I would say this was a Yeomanry unit on the outbreak of war and at worst a Home Guard Unit circa 1941,

W.G.Barron A.B.

HMS Cornwallis

HMS Pembroke

HMS Benbow

Any other info gratefully received.

Regards

Paul

He is badged as a Leading Seaman with a good conduct badge: from memory 4 years in the RN. I think it was before his Victory medal reachd him in the post.

He is badged as a Leading Seaman with a good conduct badge: from memory 4 years in the RN. I think it was before his Victory medal reachd him in the post.

You can actually just see the Victory Medal - he has his medals up Naval style, each half overlapping the previous.

Hi Grumpy,

Many thanks for the extra information.

Regards

Paul

You can actually just see the Victory Medal - he has his medals up Naval style, each half overlapping the previous.

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your reply.

So was this the traditional Naval way of wearing medals?

Regards

Paul

Thanks for your reply.

So was this the traditional Naval way of wearing medals?

I'm not sure about traditional, but certainly the case then (and I believe still used today). It was/is still the practice to overlap medals when mounted for wear when a certain number have been earned (as otherwise groups can become unwearably large quite quickly), but the Navy always did a more extreme version, overlapping when even relatively few medals had been earned and it wasn't even really necessary.

A proud and handsome young Artilleryman. The back of the card has a pencilled note: 1658 Haworth. I can't find an MIC but looking through the 200+ Haworths that have a hit for artillery should keep me quiet for a bit! Of course, it might be a reference to the place - or could just mean nothing at all...

post-49061-0-65324700-1316255677.jpg

Great photo Louise,

Of course there are numerous territorial artillery men with the number 1658, but none come close to resembling the name Howarth (though, that said, this chap's shoulder title doesn't look like a terrier one....). If indeed it is the chap's surname and a territorial regimental number I guess he may have gone overseas (if at all) after the beginning of 1917 when the TF numbers changes to 6-figures?

cheers

Steve

Thanks, Steve - at least it's a bona fide WW1 photo this time (hopefully)! I've tried zooming in on the shoulder title at the highest available res and all I can say is I think it's RFA. Haworth and artillery gives 28 sets of service papers and 11 pension records so I feel it's worth checking whether your scenario fits the bill. Of course, we may never know - but it seems an odd thing to write on the back of a photo if it doesn't relate to the man. The holes are drawing pins, so it's been on a noticeboard or something similar in the past.

He came with some others so I will gradually add those: bit convoluted at the mo as I find I can only cope with resizing in PhotoShop - and irritatingly that's set up on a different computer!

post-49061-0-05475500-1316272499.jpg