Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

Undoubtedly RFA - best of luck with your search!

Incidentally, following on from your recent search for my two men's service papers at the NA, a rather interesting contemporary photo came up for sale on ebay of an artillery officer and an other rank on horseback. The officer, according to the item description, is identified as Captain R J Heelas!

Very glad to say the auction went in my favour - will post a scan of the photo here once it arrives.

All the best

Steve

Cheers, Steve. Slightly on the back-burner as I'm off to the library to see if I can find Paul Atkinson's obit (Post 2351 of this thread) in readiness for adding him to the Remembering Them board on Tuesday, as he was a local man. But definitely worth doing in due course.

Fantastic news! What are the odds on that? Perhaps makes up a little for the fact his records were weeded. Hope you'll be sharing him here soon.

I'm very pleased to be able to add this one (a recent lucky find on ebay).

Here we have Captain Raymond John Heelas, 5 Siege Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery taken in France sometime after May 1918, probably when he was second in-command of the battery. The NCO on the left (does the single stripe at this point in time denote Lance Bombardier / Acting Bombardier or full Bombardier? - I can never remember), presumably also of 5 Siege Battery, has three blue and one red overseas stripes on his right forearm (so a veteran of 1914 - note his 1914 Star ribbon) - if only I could put a name to him!

post-2839-0-22579200-1316460857.jpg

Raymond Heelas joined 5 Siege Battery as 2nd Lieutenant in December 1916 and served through the rest of the war with the battery, eventually being promoted to Acting Major and OC of the battery in October 1918.

All the best

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Raphael Baron Harris, identified as Royal Scots Fusiliers, previously in the ranks, otherwise nothing known about his service.

Andy.

post-79542-0-22289500-1318401958.jpg

post-79542-0-12984800-1318402170.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

One too old and one too young...

Bandsmen of the Lancashire Fusiliers March 1914.

post-53823-0-10964400-1319142709.jpg

I'm very pleased to be able to add this one (a recent lucky find on ebay).

Here we have Captain Raymond John Heelas, 5 Siege Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery taken in France sometime after May 1918, probably when he was second in-command of the battery. The NCO on the left (does the single stripe at this point in time denote Lance Bombardier / Acting Bombardier or full Bombardier? - I can never remember), presumably also of 5 Siege Battery, has three blue and one red overseas stripes on his right forearm (so a veteran of 1914 - note his 1914 Star ribbon) - if only I could put a name to him!

post-2839-0-22579200-1316460857.jpg

Raymond Heelas joined 5 Siege Battery as 2nd Lieutenant in December 1916 and served through the rest of the war with the battery, eventually being promoted to Acting Major and OC of the battery in October 1918.

All the best

Steve

Steve, the single stripe was worn by both Bombardier and Acting Bombardier.

Steve, the single stripe was worn by both Bombardier and Acting Bombardier.

Thanks ever so much for clearing that up for me - much appreciated!

Kind regards

Steve

Worcestershire Regt Officer

Rather incredibly I have a photo of the same Worcester Officer that seems to have been taken in the same session (Squibbs and Casey of Bridgewater in Somerset) and I also have one of his brother (possibly a twin) in the Gloucesters.

FGS

post-53823-0-10608100-1319307830.jpg

post-53823-0-36121000-1319307877.jpg

the lad is a Drummer: lace, wings, the lot.

I don't think the other (old chap) is a bandsman either, he looks to be wearing the tunic and sash of a Colour Sergeant. Perhaps he was engaged in recruiting, it was quite common to use a drummer boy for such activities and old, time expired men, to do the 'patter'.

Rather incredibly I have a photo of the same Worcester Officer that seems to have been taken in the same session (Squibbs and Casey of Bridgewater in Somerset) and I also have one of his brother (possibly a twin) in the Gloucesters.

FGS

I wonder is they survived, they look to be 'identical'.

Raphael Baron Harris, identified as Royal Scots Fusiliers, previously in the ranks, otherwise nothing known about his service.

Andy.

His cap badge as an officer is Royal Fusiliers so it ought to be possible to trace his fate.

Interesting group of Sgt's

Lots of pipes on display along with wound stripes, and I think Pioneer badges?

Any other info gratefully received.

Thank you

Paul

post-57811-0-81818600-1319324839.jpg

Portraits of soldiers that look like they are from the same Regiment, buttons look like a Light Infantry, not sure which.

Thanks

Paul

Portraits

Portraits

Portraits

post-57811-0-69623600-1319325618.jpg

post-57811-0-74142300-1319325709.jpg

post-57811-0-04450600-1319325779.jpg

post-57811-0-27300600-1319325835.jpg

His cap badge as an officer is Royal Fusiliers so it ought to be possible to trace his fate.

Morning Frogsmile,

I had sent these photo's to the IWM for advice on unit/uniform and it was from there that they were both identified as Royal Scots Fusiliers. However, having compared the two cap badges, I agree, it does look more like Royal Fusiliers, it has the wider flames.

Unfortunately, I am still no nearer, there is no trace of him in surviving records on ancestry, and no trace on the medal index cards, (I have entered it just as Harris & Fusiliers and scrolled through for possibles).

I did have a thread on soldiers, asking for help, but got no replies.

Thanks for your input, it has given me another angle to look at. Any expert out there who can suggest any more, help would be appreciated.

Andy.

Interesting group of Sgt's

Lots of pipes on display along with wound stripes, and I think Pioneer badges?

Any other info gratefully received.

Thank you

Paul

I can't see the arm badges well enough to be sure but the sergeant front row right looks as if he has crossed swords and is thus perhaps an assistant instructor of gymnasium (later physical training).

Can anyone offer any information on this RAMC uniform please?

Thanks

Paul

Either he has leather buttons or he is a RAMC corporal on the RMOs staff of a Rifle regiment and has adopted black buttons. I think the former is the more likely, but it is difficult to tell.

Portraits of soldiers that look like they are from the same Regiment, buttons look like a Light Infantry, not sure which.

Thanks

Paul

Portraits

Portraits

Portraits

They are all wearing the black buttons of a Rifle Regiment Paul, light infantry wore normal GS buttons at that time.

post-599-0-13356500-1319368091.jpg

Can anyone offer any information on this RAMC uniform please?

Thanks

Paul

I think it is pre-war: classic India Pattern early frock, mandarin collar, pointy pockets, but with the Wolseley helmet, so perhaps 1907-ish?

I think it is pre-war: classic India Pattern early frock, mandarin collar, pointy pockets, but with the Wolseley helmet, so perhaps 1907-ish?

If 1907 that adds weight to my supposition that he might be attached to the RMO staff of a Rifle Regiment. The buttons might be black and the belt from the rifles version of the 1888 Valise (Slade Wallace) equipment. This would be black leather and with a snake buckle belt.

I can't see the arm badges well enough to be sure but the sergeant front row right looks as if he has crossed swords and is thus perhaps an assistant instructor of gymnasium (later physical training).

Hi Frogsmile,

Thank you very much for this information, that is a good spot!

ATB

Paul

Either he has leather buttons or he is a RAMC corporal on the RMOs staff of a Rifle regiment and has adopted black buttons. I think the former is the more likely, but it is difficult to tell.

They are all wearing the black buttons of a Rifle Regiment Paul, light infantry wore normal GS buttons at that time.

Hi Frogsmile,

Of course a Rifle Regiment, thank you as always for the information.

ATB

Paul