Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

Actually I would say much more likely bomber, the khaki ball with red flames was a very common variation, I've had, and have, many of them. Looks too dark for blue flames (which it would have to be for TM) regardless of the film type.

Just my tuppence'alfpenny...

Regards

Tocemma

Yes, I was lazy and didn't look at my references: khaki balls are quite usual for bombers.

Balls.

1421 Pte. George Hardy MM. lewis gunner "F" Co. 5th Bn. Notts and Derby. George went to France in Feb. 1915. He took part in the attack at Gommecourt 1.7.1916 where he was wounded twice. During the battle he destroyed a machine gun post despite being under fire. For his act of bravery he was awarded the Military Medal. George died on the 3rd January 1963 age 70 and is interned at St. Luke's Church, Heage, Derbyshire.

Brother of 2430 Sgt. Arthur Hardy MM, 5th N/Derby

post-20062-0-89393100-1311181352.jpg

Hi,

It is so pleasing that a photo surives that shows the man who accomplished so much on that day at Gommecourt where so many of his comrades paid the ultimate price.

Richard

5 very smart Queens Sgts. the two at the front are wearing cross X chevrons.

post-20062-0-91156500-1311191361.jpg

16318 John Fincham 2nd Bn. Grenadier Guards. You can just make out the Bn. bars on the top of his sleeve. I do'nt know what the other flash is further down.

post-20062-0-23316200-1311245839.jpg

16318 John Fincham 2nd Bn. Grenadier Guards. You can just make out the Bn. bars on the top of his sleeve. I do'nt know what the other flash is further down.

It's a number (26?). I was wondering if it's something to do with a training unit of some kind? Couldn't be an OCB because they weren't numbered beyond about 22 or 23.

The only other time I've seen it is in a photo of an RF man elsewhere on this site. He has the same sort of patch on his sleeve in exactly the same location.

<br />16318 John Fincham 2nd Bn. Grenadier Guards.  You can just make out the Bn. bars on the top of his sleeve. I do'nt know what the other flash is further down.<br />

I don't think he is a Grenadier Guard John, the badge and especially the shoulder title look more like Northumberland Fusiliers.  I have also never seen a Guardsman in a 1914 pattern leather belt as they had no TF and no Service Battalions.  The vertical strips could be simple battle patches indicating the seniority within his Brigade.

I don't think he is a Grenadier Guard John, the badge and especially the shoulder title look more like Northumberland Fusiliers.  I have also never seen a Guardsman in a 1914 pattern leather belt as they had no TF and no Service Battalions.  The vertical strips could be simple battle patches indicating the seniority within his Brigade.

Looking at the photo again you are right. My mistake. JG

John,

I think you will find he wears an N BOMB F shoulder title with TR below and a 20 reserve Brigade patch

The brigade consisted of 29 NF white 20 30 NF Green 20 31 NF Blue 20 and 21 DLI Red 20. They eventually joined the Training reserve as 20 Brigade.

regards

John

I think you will find he wears an N BOMB F shoulder title with TR below and a 20 reserve Brigade patch

The brigade consisted of 29 NF white 20 30 NF Green 20 31 NF Blue 20 and 21 DLI Red 20. They eventually joined the Training reserve as 20 Brigade.

John, based on that info, what period do you reckon it would date this image to...?

John, based on that info, what period do you reckon it would date this image to...?

The Training Reserve was formed September 1916, but it always difficult to make a correct assessment as to exactly when it was taken. In this case you have a lad wearing insignia to two different units and my suspicion is that, he's finished his training with the TR and has been posted to the NF and he's gone and had his photo taken without bothering to remove the insignia of the TR.

I have a few similar photo's myself, but it the first time I've seem all of the relevant insignia worn together, as in realitiy they are two different "Corps", and the wearing of both sets is very unusual and would be frowned upon.

Graham, John,

Thank you both very much for your comments.  I wonder about the 'rarity' of this image because another one, almost identical (except the soldier in question is a Royal Fusilier), was posted very recently on another thread.  It would suggest to me that there is some sort of relevance to the combination of 'regular' cap badge together with the patch on the sleeve, and that it's not a 'one-of'. I'll find the post again and post a link here.  See what you reckon.

I've never seen it before in many years of looking at images like it, so clearly it isn't common, but the fact that two images have popped up makes me wonder whether there's a bit more to it than meets the eye.

Hi

I have a few photos where soldiers are wearing the Regimental cap badge and the Training Reserve Brigade patch, but not the TR shoulder title.

A Catterick NCO School with a DLI Sgt Jack Mennear wearing DLI Cap Badge and 20 Brigade Patch a NF CPL behind him wears a 20 Brigade white Patch but not the Glengarry of the TS. Three other NCO's of the Royal Fusiliers wear the 24 of 24 Reserve Brigade however this is worn at the top of the shoulder whereas the 20 patch is worn halfway down the arm.

The 17 TR Brigade photo shows that they wear the patch halfway down the arm the same as 20 Brigade but the GS button cap badge.

A photo of the 2nd Sniping Party 23rd Reserve Bde shows no patches for that Brigade but Regimental cap badges.

regards

John

Graham, John,

Thank you both very much for your comments.  I wonder about the 'rarity' of this image because another one, almost identical (except the soldier in question is a Royal Fusilier), was posted very recently on another thread.  It would suggest to me that there is some sort of relevance to the combination of 'regular' cap badge together with the patch on the sleeve, and that it's not a 'one-of'. I'll find the post again and post a link here.  See what you reckon.

I've never seen it before in many years of looking at images like it, so clearly it isn't common, but the fact that two images have popped up makes me wonder whether there's a bit more to it than meets the eye.

As John has already mentioned - I too have NF photo's, where they are wearing NF capbadges with the Reserve Bde numeral, but never with the addition of the TR shoulder title. It's this one item that has John and I thinking along the same lines, which would infact fall inline with training policy at that time. Once you had completed your training with the "Training Reserve", you were posted directly to another regiment.

Some years ago I was told of a young lad who had completed his TR training, was posted and rebadged DLI and was immediately posted overseas. However he had no sooner arrived at the Base Depot, when he was rebadged again as NF.

In some case I believe that TR personnel were posted directly overseas on completion of training and only when they arrived at the Base Depot did they get their new posting's and were rebadged, which accounts for Training Reserve numbers on MIC's, along with their new numbers. This implies that that they did arrive overseas as Training Reservists.

RWF Military Police

Fantastic to see John, the last time I saw such 'policemen' (1970s) they were using short lengths of stable belt as brassards and highly polished brass letters to indicate function.

Yes, I have such a belt conversion in the attic ..... RMP or RP, highly polished, next time I am up with the spiders will look it out. Might even be RWF, if I recall the colours correctly. .

Yes, I have such a belt conversion in the attic ..... RMP or RP, highly polished, next time I am up with the spiders will look it out. Might even be RWF, if I recall the colours correctly. .

RP, PS and PC were used (Regt Police, Provost Sgt, Provost Cpl). The colours (of belt but not tie) were maroon and dark blue (equally) and shared by the Royal Fusiliers and Royal Horse Guards.

6 Platoon, 2 Coy 114th TRB Clipstone August 1918

Mainly MGC

If anyone could offer anymore info I would be most gratefull

Paul

post-57811-0-50030700-1311703066.jpg