Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

Leonard Herbert SOWRY, 19th Reinforcement NZEF

XIX 19th Reinforcement collar dogs

'Kia Tupato' Te Reo (Maori) for 'Stay Strong'

Edited by Wendy Macpherson
Privacy

Three of my six great uncles that went to the Great War, lemon squeezers are a give away that these men are Kiwis

Standing up is Hector SOWRY, Leonard SOWRY and sitting Eric SOWRY

I'm on a roll now....

Alfred George SOWRY 1917

Lemon Squeezer on

Alfred two years later, war must have been good for him as he looks bigger than when he left. Alfred was in the NZRB

Privacy

Twenty of the thirty men from Makomako and Nikau District who fought in the Great War six didn't return home, Leonard Sowry, James Garlick, Percy Terry, William Tait, Terrence Ness and his brother Thomas Ness

NZEF

Privacy

Twenty of the thirty men from Makomako and Nikau District who fought in the Great War six didn't return home, Leonard Sowry, James Garlick, Percy Terry, William Tait, Terrence Ness and his brother Thomas Ness

NZEF

post-49999-0-05521200-1308307911.jpg

Wendy

Thanks for the post. Great pictures. In this group picture, can you put names to the faces?

"didn't return home, Leonard Sowry, James Garlick, Percy Terry, William Tait, Terrence Ness and his brother Thomas Ness" RIP Thank you for my family's tomorrow.

Simon

On 6/17/2011 at 23:23, ATNOMIS said:

Wendy

Thanks for the post. Great pictures. In this group picture, can you put names to the faces?

"didn't return home, Leonard Sowry, James Garlick, Percy Terry, William Tait, Terrence Ness and his brother Thomas Ness" RIP Thank you for my family's tomorrow.

Simon

Hi Simon

I'm working my way through the photo and can definitely name eight of the men. Over the last three years I have been researching a total of forty men of Makomako and Nikau Districts, both WW1 & WW2. I've collected a total of thirty five photos, unfortantly I cant find photos of five of the men, three WW1 and two WW2.

I have just had this large collection of photos framed, I'm in the process of collecting each mans insignia to accompany their photo, expensive business!

Privacy

Hi Simon

I'm working my way through the photo and can definitely name eight of the men. Over the last three years I have been researching a total of forty men of Makomako and Nikau Districts, both WW1 & WW2. I've collected a total of thirty five photos, unfortantly I cant find photos of five of the men, three WW1 and two WW2.

I have just had this large collection of photos framed, I'm in the process of collecting each mans insignia to accompany their photo, expensive business!

post-49999-0-56401900-1308312814.jpg

Exellent photos Wendy, JG

A very smart unidentified Royal Engineer corporal and a welcome return of the Aspidistra stand. Wouldn't it be nice if they'd all have placed their headress like this man.

img072.jpg

Unidentified, Fusiliers, HAC ?

HAC I believe John

Warwickshire, nice shot of the webbing

Yes a good example of a man in full 1903 Bandolier equipment and a 'long' Lee Enfield Rifle with modified (to Enfield) bayonet. Probably TF.

Unidentified King's Regiment, wearing a mourning button

Eddie

img057.jpg

He also appears to have regimental buttons Eddie.

Unknown Colour Sgt. 1 V R.W.F.

Now that is a picture! fantastic! His Tash and Red sash. Recruiting staff sgt I think?

Think the Regiment would love this picture.

I'd join up seeing him very impressive

Simon

Recruiting staff sgt I think?

Simon

No Simon, that was the Colour Sergeants badge of rank on scarlet and KD uniforms (only) until 1915.

No Simon, that was the Colour Sergeants badge of rank on scarlet and KD uniforms (only) until 1915.

Cheers.

I seem to remember them when I joined the Army in the mid 1980's as recruiting Sgt's. was this adopted post wars?

like this

Simon

Cheers.

I seem to remember them when I joined the Army in the mid 1980's as recruiting Sgt's. was this adopted post wars?

like this

Simon

Yes I'm sorry I should have made that clear, it became the recruiters badge in 1934.

Yes I'm sorry I should have made that clear, it became the recruiters badge in 1934.

Cheers again. Colour Sgt pre 1934 was this a rank or colour service? I Joined at 17 counted as young soldier on leaving i did 5 years colour service 270 days odd for the Queen.

Cheers again. Colour Sgt pre 1934 was this a rank or colour service? I Joined at 17 counted as young soldier on leaving i did 5 years colour service 270 days odd for the Queen.

No, it was part of the badge of rank of a Colour Sergeant until 1915, with the flag part worn only in scarlet and KD uniforms but not in SD, where the flags were omitted. There was then a period in abeyance before the flags were re-introduced for Recruiting Sergeants in 1934.

No, it was part of the badge of rank of a Colour Sergeant until 1915, with the flag part worn only in scarlet and KD uniforms but not in SD, where the flags were omitted. There was then a period in abeyance before the flags were re-introduced for Recruiting Sergeants in 1934.

Again thank you.

Hi Simon

post-49999-0-56401900-1308312814.jpg

Fantastic work. Great job

OK, time to get down to business. I recently bought a collection of postcards in Orpington, Kent many of which have a family connection to an address in Woolwich. Some are addressed to Lizzie Sartain, others Alice and sent by Herbert, Harry, Bob and Arthur. Alice was Herbert's mother. Frustratingly the same handwriting appears on a couple of cards signed by different persons. Also I think the T/RFA man sitting in the sidecar and in another earlier post is one of the four family members named above.

As and when I get to the bottom of things I'll post more but as a start here is who I think is Harry Sartain, Farrier Sergeant in the ASC. He appears on a lot of the cards and in the medal roll index. The first card has the No. 43260 on the back but that doesn't match the index so I may be wrong.

img297.jpg

'Harry' again.

img296.jpg

I think this next card was taken in Egypt as 'Harry' is in others taken there. 'Harry' is seated front row right.

img298.jpg