Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

Pte. Ernest John Muskett. L/14944. 3rdRoyal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment).  Enlisted - 20/2/1912.   Discharged - Wounds, 11/12/1917.

Ward C4, 1st Southern General, Edgebaston, Birmingham.     "Believe I shall have an awful blow when the Doctor arrives". 

Ernest John Muskett.jpg

1. Unknown Motor Transport Company. Army Service Corps.

2.  493 Coy. M.T. A.S.C.

3. 69 Coy. M.T. A.S.C.  21st September 1914. Bristol. 

A.S.C.1.jpg

A.S.C.2.jpg

A.S.C.3.jpg

1. W. Smith. A.S.C.

2. "Any Complaints, I Don't Think. 260 Coy. M.T. A.S.C.  The card was posted home to his daughter Hilda, by Driver James Emanuel Sparks. M2/080299.

3. D + E Section. M.T. A.S.C. 

A.S.C.4.jpg

A.S.C.6.jpg

A.S.C.7.jpg

Edited by GWF1967

Some excellent scenes.  In the dining scene plus that in Egypt, two warrant officers can be easily spotted dressed in first class service dress with Sam Browne belts.  In the latter a very relaxed dress has been permitted with men mostly in grey back shirts, although one man at far left (plus another far right) wears the two piece denim work suit commonly seen on mechanicians.  In the concluding scene it’s noticeable that the two sections have no sergeants and the lone officer is flanked by corporals.  It’s a minor point but they are all mechanical transport units rather than ‘motorised’.  Thank you for sharing your photos.

Edited by FROGSMILE

5 hours ago, Gardenerbill said:

Fabulous ASC postcards thank you for posting.

I'm glad you enjoyed them.

4 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Some excellent scenes.  In the dining scene plus that in Egypt, two warrant officers can be easily spotted dressed in first class service dress with Sam Browne belts.  In the latter a very relaxed dress has been permitted with men mostly in grey back shirts, although one man at far left wears the two piece denim work suit commonly seen on mechanicians.  In the concluding scene it’s noticeable that the two sections have no sergeants and the lone officer is flanked by corporals.  It’s a minor point but they are all mechanical transport units rather than ‘motorised’.  Thank you for sharing your photos.

You are most welcome. Many thanks as always for your observations.

Royal Army Medical Corps Officer, Chaplain and Stretcher Bearers, 17th Battalion,  Royal Welsh Fusiliers, 38th Welsh Division.  

Does anybody recognise the M.O or Chaplain please?

R.W.F. 38th Div....jpg

Edit. I believe they are 17th Battalion, wearing a 2" Salmon pink square.

Edited by GWF1967

6 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Royal Army Medical Corps Officer, Chaplain and Stretcher Bearers, Royal Welsh Fusiliers, 38th Welsh Division.  

Does anybody recognise the Battalion patch, M.O or Chaplain please?

R.W.F. 38th Div....jpg

The patch is 38th Welsh Division’s Red Dragon on dark blue.  Over time they faded to an orange shade.

IMG_0768.jpeg

IMG_0767.jpeg

IMG_0769.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 minute ago, FROGSMILE said:

The patch is 38th Welsh Division’s Red Dragon on dark blue.  Over time they faded to an orange shade.

IMG_0768.jpeg

Thanks, it was the Battalion patch on the right arm I was hoping to identify.   17th according to  "Badges of Kitchener's Army"  -  @poona guard

3 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Thanks, it was the Battalion patch on the right arm I was hoping to identify.   17th according to  "Badges of Kitchener's Army"  -  @poona guard

Understood, my apologies.  I’m sure you’re right.  Lowermost colour photo of jacket has dragon facing wrong way.

Interesting that the Padre in your photo is wearing a collar badge as cap insignia. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 minute ago, FROGSMILE said:

Understood, my apologies.  I’m sure you’re right.  Lowermost colour photo of jacket has dragon facing wrong way. 

Thanks, Jacket is badged to 13th Battalion. 

1 minute ago, GWF1967 said:

Thanks, Jacket is badged to 13th Battalion. 

Indeed.  I think that the book you described is excellent for aiding such IDs.

image.png.254a4d73470f0d70701518b94878a84f.png

French Service de Santé medic with 3 service chevrons, September 1916. The chevrons were established in April of the same year, and denoted a year of frontline service for the first, 6 months for any following. This man will have fought the whole campaign to when the photo is dated.

https://www.ww1throughfrencheyes.com/

( @gunnerwalker Apologies for the very late reply, thank you for having shared that link to a fantastic French resource. Hope you enjoyed mine equally! )

Standing. - Scott, Moffat, Nicholson, Johns, Hunt.

Sitting. - Coker, Willou(gh)by?, Tuckfield, Knight. 

"Lone Pine. Quinns Post"

A.S.C.5.jpg

2 hours ago, Tomb1302 said:

image.png.254a4d73470f0d70701518b94878a84f.png

French Service de Santé medic with 3 service chevrons, September 1916. The chevrons were established in April of the same year, and denoted a year of frontline service for the first, 6 months for any following. This man will have fought the whole campaign to when the photo is dated.

( @gunnerwalker Apologies for the very late reply, thank you for having shared that link to a fantastic French resource. Hope you enjoyed mine equally! )

good evening,

here is 2 button for the french nurse :

Sant-mm-SousOfficier-Infirmier(1).JPG.57bc35cd06bf8742f9b7c94c93acb632.JPGSant-mm-SousOfficier-Infirmier(2).JPG.87b293617e1446b71a68ac79e5b5bb5f.JPGSant-mm-Troupe-Infirmier(1).JPG.f091b7adfaa91a27dd9594bb9244ec48.JPGSant-mm-Troupe-Infirmier(2).JPG.a442866363afeb2a922062f6dff3e16d.JPG

michel

Edited by battle of loos

2 hours ago, Tomb1302 said:

You’re most welcome! I thoroughly enjoyed your site and still do. It’s bookmarked and the tab isn't often closed as I dip into it fairly often.

Some of my extensive collection of postcards 100 in total. Mostly North West based regiments 

IMG_8323.jpeg

Very interesting - what's the unit of the man, bottom left? Can't make the cap badge out.

3 hours ago, CheshireRifles said:

Some of my extensive collection of postcards 100 in total. Mostly North West based regiments 

IMG_8323.jpeg

It would be more interesting if you could post the cards individually, as you will see is the case for most images posted in this specially titled thread.  Apart from making them viewable it enables some detailed analysis.

Edited by FROGSMILE

2 hours ago, Pat Atkins said:

Very interesting - what's the unit of the man, bottom left? Can't make the cap badge out.

The Lancashire Fusiliers  

11 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

It would be more interesting if you could post the cards individually, as you will see is the case for most images posted in this specially titled thread.  Apart from making them viewable it enables some detailed analysis.

I will do that very soon 

Some of my postcard collection. 

Tameside. Greater Manchester photography studio links. 

IMG_8339.jpeg

IMG_8338.jpeg

IMG_8337.jpeg

IMG_8336.jpeg

IMG_8335.jpeg

IMG_8334.jpeg

IMG_8327.jpeg

IMG_8331.jpeg

IMG_8328.jpeg

IMG_8333.jpeg

IMG_8332.jpeg

IMG_8330.jpeg

IMG_8329.jpeg

7 hours ago, CheshireRifles said:

Some of my postcard collection. 

IMG_8327.jpeg

Some nice postcards, do you have access to a scanner? This would greatly enhance the finer detail.  Forum member @poona guard is writing a series of books, collecting together information regarding the battalion/divisional patches worn by various regiments and may be interested in the image above, if you would be willing for it to be reproduced.  

5 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Some nice postcards, do you have access to a scanner? This would greatly enhance the finer detail.  Forum member @poona guard is writing a series of books, collecting together information regarding the battalion/divisional patches worn by various regiments and may be interested in the image above, if you would be willing for it to be reproduced.  

Indeed I would like 600dpi copies of the 9th Manchester and the Manchester with collar badges plus any info on the back. Can use the 9th photo in the next book with a credit of course.

A group of infantrymen of the 321st Infantry Regiment, c.1915. Note that the major battles the regiment will participate in are listed on the side of the photo.

I have chosen to share this photo because from June 1916 to December 1916, these men will combat under the command of my ancestor General Fénélon François Germain PASSAGA.

1915 Photo Backs (5).png

10 minutes ago, Tomb1302 said:

A group of infantrymen of the 321st Infantry Regiment, c.1915. Note that the major battles the regiment will participate in are listed on the side of the photo.

I have chosen to share this photo because from June 1916 to December 1916, these men will combat under the command of my ancestor General Fénélon François Germain PASSAGA.

1915 Photo Backs (5).png

They are such mature looking men.  The three in the bottom left corner appear very much like brothers. 

Edited by FROGSMILE