Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

Just now, FROGSMILE said:

No, WW1 photos aren’t all that often especially rare, I just meant it’s of good quality.

Ah okay thank you i have a few high quality one like this one i have just attatched below

IMG_0153.jpeg

5 hours ago, TomWW1 said:

Ah okay thank you i have a few high quality one like this one i have just attatched below

IMG_0153.jpeg

He is also RNAS.  A petty officer wearing class III rig (dress) for daily working duties.

IMG_1174.png

IMG_1172.jpeg

IMG_1177.jpeg

IMG_1186.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

A family group showing three lieutenants; two being territorials with the Gloucestershire Regiment while the officer on the left is either Royal Artillery or Royal Engineers.

GL.0033 - Territorial family.jpg

"Everybody is dead sick of this camp, as we are miles from anywhere + asleep all our spare time. I am keeping A1 myself."

RAMC men at Greystoke Camp, near Penrith. Dated 24th June 1914.

RAMC.0005a - Greystoke Camp, near Penrith. Dated 24th June 1914..jpg

23 minutes ago, gunnerwalker said:

"Everybody is dead sick of this camp, as we are miles from anywhere + asleep all our spare time. I am keeping A1 myself."

RAMC men at Greystoke Camp, near Penrith. Dated 24th June 1914.

RAMC.0005a - Greystoke Camp, near Penrith. Dated 24th June 1914..jpg

No flirting with local girls and visiting the village pub, normally two of the big attractions of annual camp…

Edited by FROGSMILE

14 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

No flirting with local girls and visiting the village pub, normally two of the big attractions of annual camp…

There are certainly few beaming faces among them. The line “We’ve gone on holiday by mistake!” springs to mind…

9 minutes ago, gunnerwalker said:

There are certainly few beaming faces among them. The line “We’ve gone on holiday by mistake!” springs to mind…

Lots of sport no doubt.

5 hours ago, TomWW1 said:

Here we are another day, another postcard!

IMG_0124.jpeg

Cap ribbon - HMS COLUMBIA

Hired trawler HMS COLUMBIA sunk in action 1 May 1915. 16 Casualties and no survivors of the action. If this rating is a casualty he would be RNR.

COLUMBIA, hired trawler, Adty No 200. Built 1886, 266grt, Hull-reg H.42. In service 9.14-5.15 as auxiliary patrol vessel. Sunk 1.5.15 by German TB off Thornton Ridge, Foreness. [naval history.net]

20 minutes ago, horatio2 said:

Hired trawler HMS COLUMBIA sunk in action 1 May 1915. 16 Casualties and no survivors of the action. If this rating is a casualty he would be RNR.

COLUMBIA, hired trawler, Adty No 200. Built 1886, 266grt, Hull-reg H.42. In service 9.14-5.15 as auxiliary patrol vessel. Sunk 1.5.15 by German TB off Thornton Ridge, Foreness. [naval history.net]

Bit more about her site now:

https://www.wrecksite.eu/wreck.aspx?75447

IMG_1191.jpeg

9 minutes ago, TomWW1 said:

what a photo

It’s a painting (artwork) representing her fate.  If you open the link there’s a thumbnail photo of her if you scroll down.

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, RNCVR said:

Cap ribbon - HMS COLUMBIA

Would you agree that on balance he seems more likely to be an ‘ordinary’ rather than ‘able’ seaman Bryan, as I can’t make out any rate, trade, or service badges at all? 

Edited by FROGSMILE

Yes, could be either as no insignia for an AB.  At first viewing I thought I saw a GCB on his left sleeve but upon enlarging that Ionly see perhaps a fold or something else/a stain or something in that area where the GCB would normaly be.

I would guestimate his age at ust abouot 18 or 19 just commencing his adult service, but that is just a guess.

As with many other RPPC's no name so no way to trace his service.

Edited by RNCVR

2 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

Yes could be  either as no insignia for an AB.  At first viewing I thought I saw a GCB on his left sleeve but upon enlarging that area I see perhaps a fold or something else in t

Yes I couldn’t see anything either, and so thought that the lower rate seemed the more likely for someone with so little apparent service.

Been a lot of really nice Army cards on here for some time now, I got to get my act together in New Yr & post some more of my RN RPPC collection!

Have not sold any of it yet!

7 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

Been a lot of really nice Army cards on here for some time now, I got to get my act together in New Yr & post some more of my RN RPPC collection!

Have not sold any of it yet!

Yes please do, it’s always really good to see much underrepresented naval RPPC.  I don’t think that the the men at sea had the same opportunities for photography other then when they were awaiting drafting, on home leave for some other reason, or on a run ashore.

Edited by FROGSMILE

14 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Would you agree that on balance he seems more likely to be an ‘ordinary’ rather than ‘able’ seaman

If he was, indeed, an RNR rating then he would not be "able" or "irdinary" but just a "seaman", of which three were lost in COLUMBIA. He could also have been one of the three deck hands lost. No RN ratings were lost in COLUMBIA

53 minutes ago, horatio2 said:

If he was, indeed, an RNR rating then he would not be "able" or "irdinary" but just a "seaman", of which three were lost in COLUMBIA. He could also have been one of the three deck hands lost. No RN ratings were lost in COLUMBIA

Thank you horatio2, I didn’t realise that about the RNR.

I had been trying to read his cap tally this morning and wasn’t sure if he was Columbia or Columbella, which was an armed merchant cruiser, and which seemingly did have some RN ratings. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

33 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

wasn’t sure if he was Columbia or Columbella

A difficult call. Perhaps @TomWW1 could post a hi-=res image of the cap? Or make a judgement from his original PC?

My take on this was based on being afairly sure that the cap tally shows COLUM and a judgement that the remaining space up to the bow could not take the five lettersBELLA but could fit in BIA.

COLUMBINE is also a possibility.

Edited by horatio2

You'll have to excuse my dodgy eyesight but looks to me like there is more than one letter after "bi", so can I suggest it's possibly HMS Columbine?

I sure cap ribbons can be moved round, and it may be the angle, but if it as 'Columbia' would the last letter be worn so close to what appears to be the peak of his cap?

Cheers,
Peter

Apologies - cross posted with horatio2

Edited by PRC
Cross posting

5 minutes ago, PRC said:

You'll have to excuse my dodgy eyesight but looks to me like there is more than one letter after "bi", so can I suggest it's possibly HMS Columbine?

I sure cap ribbons can be moved round, and it may be the angle, but if it as 'Columbia' would the last letter be worn so close to what appears to be the peak of his cap?

Cheers,
Peter

I think Columbine is likely given the termination of the letters immediately adjacent to the tally’s bow.  See: 

Edited by FROGSMILE

After an overnight ponder, I am now persuaded that COLUMBINE is the most likely contender for the cap tally. One of the reasons is that I think it unlikely that an RNR-maneed trawler of the Auxiliary Patrol wouldhave boat-specific cap tallies manufactured and issued for a ship's company of only fifteen. The men would, I believe, have worn generic "RNR" or "ROYAL NAVAL RESERVE" cap tallies.

COLUMBINE (based at Rosyth and, from 1917, at Port Edgar) was parent to a wide variety of ships and boats throughout WW1. Her ship's compnay would have included RN, RNR and RNVR ratings.

57 minutes ago, horatio2 said:

After an overnight ponder, I am now persuaded that COLUMBINE is the most likely contender for the cap tally. One of the reasons is that I think it unlikely that an RNR-maneed trawler of the Auxiliary Patrol wouldhave boat-specific cap tallies manufactured and issued for a ship's company of only fifteen. The men would, I believe, have worn generic "RNR" or "ROYAL NAVAL RESERVE" cap tallies.

COLUMBINE (based at Rosyth and, from 1917, at Port Edgar) was parent to a wide variety of ships and boats throughout WW1. Her ship's compnay would have included RN, RNR and RNVR ratings.

Thank you for the confirmation horatio2, what you say about the generic RNR cap tallies is interesting and makes a lot of sense.