Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

2 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

A super photo, thank you for posting it.  He’s also wearing the 1916 soft SD forage cap (aka trench cap) designed for ease of stowing away when helmets were issued, and marked out by its stitched concentric lines on peak and headband.  It’s a little unusual that he wears the 03 belt along with his bandolier, as a lot of men didn’t bother with the former when wearing the latter.  Across his chest can be seen the strap for his small box respirator case. The gloves he clasps are of especially good  quality, with a tight knit and leather reinforcement to the edge of their cuff.  The army issue gloves did not have those premium features.

Thanks for the detail. I'd spied the respirator but wasn't aware the gloves were standard issue. I'd guessed from the bandolier he might be part of a horse-drawn gun team and the thick gloves were to aid fighting off the cold while driving the horses.

25 minutes ago, gunnerwalker said:

Thanks for the detail. I'd spied the respirator but wasn't aware the gloves were standard issue. I'd guessed from the bandolier he might be part of a horse-drawn gun team and the thick gloves were to aid fighting off the cold while driving the horses.

I was explaining that they’re not standard issue.  Although heavy draught animals did draw the smallest of the RGA guns, the majority were increasingly drawn by steam and internal combustion mechanised vehicles.

IMG_1242.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 minute ago, FROGSMILE said:

I was explaining that they’re not standard issue.

Sorry, typo - should've been "wasn't aware the gloves weren't standard issue". Then following was my initial thought before posting. 

5 minutes ago, gunnerwalker said:

Sorry, typo - should've been "wasn't aware the gloves weren't standard issue". Then following was my initial thought before posting. 

No problem, here are two more impressions of RGA guns on the move.

IMG_1244.jpeg

IMG_1243.jpeg

3 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

No problem, here are two more impressions of RGA guns on the move.

IMG_1244.jpeg

IMG_1243.jpeg

As the RGA made use of heavier guns were they more reliant on transportation via tractors and train than horses? Or was it a case of whichever was available?

1 hour ago, gunnerwalker said:

As the RGA made use of heavier guns were they more reliant on transportation via tractors and train than horses? Or was it a case of whichever was available?

The heaviest RGA guns could not be towed by anything other than mechanised tractors.  Only the RFA and RHA were entirely reliant on draught animals for towing.  As a result they were officially mounted corps, whereas the RGA was officially a dismounted corps, although that status was really academic and more connected with their past role historically.  As the RGA was increasingly required to be mobile the differences were less and instead that branch led the way with increasingly modernised mechanisation.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Any help with this unmarked card that appears to show a Yeomanry unit. Posted elsewhere asking for information and I thought someone here might have an idea?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

35 minutes ago, Raster Scanning said:

Any help with this unmarked card that appears to show a Yeomanry unit. Posted elsewhere asking for information and I thought someone here might have an idea?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Difficult to be sure but it looks like either, the Duke of Lancasters Own pre 1902 badge, or the Queen’s Own Worcestershire Hussars.

IMG_1279.jpeg

IMG_1281.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

• Admin
44 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Difficult to be sure but it looks like either, the Duke of Lancasters Own pre 1902 badge, or the Queen’s Own Worcestershire Hussars.

IMG_1279.jpeg

IMG_1281.jpeg

I was heading down the 'Dorset Yeomanry' cap badge route.

image.png.08dde43c3d9ef45dc361d8309a22146c.png

27 minutes ago, Bob Davies said:

I was heading down the 'Dorset Yeomanry' cap badge route.

image.png.08dde43c3d9ef45dc361d8309a22146c.png

I did consider that Bob, but could not see the proudly protruding crown, and the laurels seem to extend very far up and don’t appear circular as they do in the style of the Dorset Yeomanry.

• Admin
4 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

I did consider that Bob, but could not see the proudly protruding crown, and the laurels seem to extend very far up and don’t appear circular as they do in the style of the Dorset Yeomanry.

I see where you are coming from FROGSMILE.

I had a look on Google maps for similar buildings in the towns etc mentioned in the above suggested cap badge areas and drawn a blank.

This picture may help you or others?

Yeomanry.jpg

38 minutes ago, Bob Davies said:

I see where you are coming from FROGSMILE.

I had a look on Google maps for similar buildings in the towns etc mentioned in the above suggested cap badge areas and drawn a blank.

This picture may help you or others?

Yeomanry.jpg

The only other I can think of as having that outline shape is the City of London Yeomanry (Rough Riders). 

IMG_1282.jpeg

IMG_1283.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

• Admin
8 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

The only other I can think of as having that outline shape is the City of London Yeomanry (Rough Riders). 

IMG_1282.jpeg

IMG_1283.jpeg

Do the Officers collar badges give us anything, I believe he is a Lt?

They look almost star shaped.

Also he might not be of the same regiment.

32 minutes ago, Bob Davies said:

Do the Officers collar badges give us anything, I believe he is a Lt?

They look almost star shaped.

Also he might not be of the same regiment.

Yes they are stars I think.  I don’t think he’s from the same regiment.  Stars on collar might be ASC, or Devonshire Regiment, as two that immediately come to mind.  Also 4th Royal Irish Dragoon Guards.

IMG_1288.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

• Admin
10 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Yes they are stars I think.  I don’t think he’s from the same regiment.  Stars on collar might be ASC, or Devonshire Regiment, as two that immediately come to mind.  Also 4th Royal Irish Dragoon Guards.

Middlesex Yeomanry came to my mind FROGSMILE.

However they all changed from what I read in 1901, so they became the County of London Yeomanry (Middlesex, Duke of Cambridge's Hussars).

I do not know if the cap/collar badge changed at the same time.

On 18/12/2023 at 11:08, gunnerwalker said:

Forgot to post this one yesterday as it is dated "Sunday 17/12/16" and inscribed;

Belgium 1916

Xmas greetings all round. Please make the best of your time, and forget me for a short time. Christmas 1916 will only appear once.

Best love to all

Stanley

Wearing cloth Royal Garrison Artillery shoulder titles.

RA.0005a - Stanley, RGA.jpg

I hope you do not mind but i loved this super photo and wanted to do it some justice so i tried to make the face more clear i hope you like it!IMG_1635.jpeg.674b616a9b85e4e82f533c6079dff4f2.jpeg

I will do my own research on this one dont worry but im on my way home right now and i wanted to post it so i can start getting some rough ideas from everyone to go of off

IMG_1110.jpeg

IMG_1109.jpeg

29 minutes ago, TomWW1 said:

I will do my own research on this one dont worry but im on my way home right now and i wanted to post it so i can start getting some rough ideas from everyone to go of off

IMG_1110.jpeg

IMG_1109.jpeg

Worcestershire Regiment.    Pete.

3 hours ago, Bob Davies said:

Middlesex Yeomanry came to my mind FROGSMILE.

However they all changed from what I read in 1901, so they became the County of London Yeomanry (Middlesex, Duke of Cambridge's Hussars).

I do not know if the cap/collar badge changed at the same time.

Yes that fits quite well for the officer, Bob, but not for the men.  The collar badge was a simple star, and the officers forage cap badge in OSDB had the same star surmounted by a crown.  The men’s badge was similar to the officer’s collar badge.

IMG_1302.jpeg

IMG_1301.jpeg

IMG_1304.jpeg

IMG_1303.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

33 minutes ago, CorporalPunishment said:

Worcestershire Regiment.    Pete.

I second that.

IMG_1306.jpeg

IMG_1305.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

10 hours ago, TomWW1 said:

I hope you do not mind but i loved this super photo and wanted to do it some justice so i tried to make the face more clear i hope you like it!IMG_1635.jpeg.674b616a9b85e4e82f533c6079dff4f2.jpeg

Not at all, good work.

On 20/12/2023 at 22:24, Raster Scanning said:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this. 

On 07/12/2023 at 08:45, FROGSMILE said:

This is one of your more intriguing photos and shows a young member of the New Zealand Rifle Brigade either with his sweetheart or a sister.  Many young men who had gone to New Zealand in the period after the 2nd Anglo/Boer War enlisted there when war was declared and returned to Britain as part of the New Zealand expeditionary force bound for France, taking the opportunity enroute to visit their families in between training in Britain.

Their cap and collar insignia were based upon the crest of the Earl of Liverpool – a lion rampant holding a man-of-war’s church pennant on a chapeau above the regimental motto.  The Earl graciously granted them the secondary title of the Earl of Liverpool’s Own.  Each battalion was distinguished by the colour stitched to their shoulder straps upon which the shoulder title sat, a unique feature within the NZEF.

The reinforcements badge shown was subsequently dropped, and for France a badge of the same basic design as the cap insignia worn instead. 

“The New Zealand Rifle Brigade was created in April 1915 as a second New Zealand infantry brigade, to complement the brigade then serving at Gallipoli. Initially known as ‘the Trentham Regiment (Earl of Liverpool’s Own)’, its recruits were drawn from throughout the country. The 1st and 2nd Battalions arrived in Egypt in time to become the only New Zealand unit to participate in the Senussi Campaign.

In January 1916, New Zealand’s infantry was divided into three brigades. The Rifle Brigade was officially known as the 3rd New Zealand (Rifles) Brigade for the rest of the war (‘New Zealand Rifle Brigade’ also served as a regimental list or posting for its soldiers). It shifted to the Western Front in April 1916 and spent the rest of the war there.”

IMG_1117.jpeg

IMG_1118.jpeg

IMG_1119.jpeg

IMG_1123.jpeg

IMG_1124.jpeg

okay so HUGE update I was going through the family tree I’m making and on complete accident I found the guy in the photo! His name is Herbert Ford he is stood with his wife Alice May Black the photo was taken in 1916 in Wellington, New Zealand! is some service paperwork, 

1 minute ago, TomWW1 said:

okay so HUGE update I was going through the family tree I’m making and on complete accident I found the guy in the photo! His name is Herbert Ford he is stood with his wife Alice May Black the photo was taken in 1916 in Wellington, New Zealand! This is some service paperwork, 1bad2dff-e894-4b3f-9c7c-fe3977001e13.pdf 

Seems like it glitched anyway here is his grave and the paperwork https://www.ancestry.co.uk/mediaui-viewer/collection/1030/tree/192997417/person/312535433164/media/f79d5551-0d08-4df2-9099-0456c86e434f?_phsrc=SHa6&usePUBJs=true&galleryindex=5&albums=pg&showGalleryAlbums=true&tab=0&pid=312535433164&sort=-created

IMG_2314.jpeg

Edited by TomWW1

I’m glad that you’ve managed to track him down and that he will now be remembered within your family again.  There’s no need to reply to this.

Edited by FROGSMILE