Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

Portrait of musician Edmond PAULET (cl. 1918 mle. 1295) during his time with the 79th Infantry Regiment, c.1918 - 1920.

Note as well the lovely drawing with PAULET's signature of flowers and an envelope that reads "victory".

https://www.ww1throughfrencheyes.com/

3.png

4.png

My British friends, 

I'm continuing my pursuit and archiving of French photographs from the war, but have recently acquired this one I thought the group might find interesting. This is a photo of soldiers of the French 19th Field Artillery Regiment annotated "à bord du Caledonian navire Anglais" (Aboard the Caledonian English ship). I've found, attached, an SS Caledonia 1904-1905 transport ship. Could anyone offer me the British side of the story? These men are on their way to the Orient front, for further context.

The insight is appreciated in advance. 

75.png

76.png

Screenshot 2023-11-25 at 3.29.49 PM.png

On 25/11/2023 at 20:31, Tomb1302 said:

My British friends, 

I'm continuing my pursuit and archiving of French photographs from the war, but have recently acquired this one I thought the group might find interesting. This is a photo of soldiers of the French 19th Field Artillery Regiment annotated "à bord du Caledonian navire Anglais" (Aboard the Caledonian English ship). I've found, attached, an SS Caledonia 1904-1905 transport ship. Could anyone offer me the British side of the story? These men are on their way to the Orient front, for further context.

The insight is appreciated in advance. 

75.png

76.png

Screenshot 2023-11-25 at 3.29.49 PM.png

The S.S. Caledonia, Anchor Line was built by Hendersen & Co., Glasgow in 1904. During WW1 becoming a troopship. She was later torpedoed.

It seems that there were two British passenger liners named CALEDONIA afloat in 1916:

CALEDONIA, O.N.102390, P. & O. Steam Navigation Co., London (ship registered at Greenock), 7,572 gross tons, built 1894. Coal ship, mined and lost Dec 1916.

CALEDONIA, O.N.121218, Anchor Line, Glasgow, 9,223 gross tons, built 1904. Torpedoed Dec 1916, but recovered and repaired becoming troopship subsequently.

See:

1. http://navalwarfare.blogspot.com/2013/06/ss-caledonia.html?m=1

IMG_0907.jpeg

IMG_0906.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

@FROGSMILE This is simply fantastic, thank you for these valuable contributions.

"Yours, Ernie. Jeddah! Dec.1918".

Ernest Sidney Foster. 142396.   "Skilled Wireless Operator",   Wireless Coy. Egypt.  Royal Engineers. (Signals).

Foster...jpg

8 hours ago, charlie962 said:

Yes agreed.  The French horn (curled bugle) was the badge of Chasseurs.  The large, basque type beret the headdress of French alpine troops, and the 13 on the collar indicates the 13th Regiment.

IMG_1017.jpeg

IMG_1019.jpeg

IMG_1022.jpeg

IMG_1023.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

15 hours ago, charlie962 said:

7 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Yes agreed.  The French horn (curled bugle) was the badge of Chasseurs.  The large, basque type beret the headdress of French alpine troops, and the 13 on the collar indicates the 13th Regiment.

Many thanks indeed. 

16 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Royal Engineer with French? troops, and wine.  Perhaps @Tomb1302 can help to identify them?

French + R.E..jpg

@GWF1967   Very nice photo! Are these French soldiers wearing what was known in Victorian times as CHOLERA BELTS? The large white band around their waists?

13 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

@GWF1967   Very nice photo! Are these French soldiers wearing what was known in Victorian times as CHOLERA BELTS? The large white band around their waists?

I think they are military cummerbunds (aka kamarbands) Bryan, made popular through service in French colonies.  They originated in Persia.

Edited by FROGSMILE

OK, I did not know that, great to learn something I did not know as I know very litte about the French colonial period operations.

I dont think I have ever seen a photo of  a Victorian era soldier/sailor wearing a Cholera belt in the past but have read about them.

52 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

OK, I did not know that, great to learn something I did not know as I know very litte about the French colonial period operations.

I dont think I have ever seen a photo of  a Victorian era soldier/sailor wearing a Cholera belt in the past but have read about them.

Yes they were usually made of wool and were literally a belt as opposed to a wrapping going several times around the waist and overlapping in the way a true cummerbund traditionally does.  In their original form in Persia and associated satellites the cummerbunds were often used to stuff a dagger and / or pistol into.

IMG_1032.jpeg

IMG_1031.jpeg

IMG_1033.jpeg

IMG_1034.jpeg

IMG_1035.jpeg

IMG_1037.jpeg

IMG_1041.jpeg

IMG_1040.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 minute ago, charlie962 said:

Called the taillole:

Screenshot_20231203-1901152.png.067599944d057b5285145ed49dacdffe.png

Thank you Charlie, I did wonder what it might be called in French.

37 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Called the taillole:

Screenshot_20231203-1901152.png.067599944d057b5285145ed49dacdffe.png

Many thanks Charlie. 

"A Co. D.L.I.  Hut 4, Hipswell Camp, Catterick, Nr Richmond, Yorks"   -   23/7/1916.

Pte. Samuel Henry Gilmore. 5037 - 277324.    Pioneer - 1/5th Durham Light Infantry.    Killed in Action, 27th October 1917.  

Gilmore.jpg

On 04/12/2023 at 22:08, GWF1967 said:

"A Co. D.L.I.  Hut 4, Hipswell Camp, Catterick, Nr Richmond, Yorks"   -   23/7/1916.

Pte. Samuel Henry Gilmore. 5037 - 277324.    Pioneer - 1/5th Durham Light Infantry.    Killed in Action, 27th October 1917.  

Gilmore.jpg

A really evocative photo and to my eyes, at least, heavily laden with a sense of foreboding in his expression and seemingly self conscious stance.  Thank you for posting it. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

Tom it would be much better if you reposted each post card individually just like most others before.  That way each image can be analysed and commented upon easily.

Ironically the first picture of a blue uniformed individual on his own answers perfectly your earlier query, regarding the group photo supposedly at a heritage spot in Northern Ireland, because the close up features on his uniform show he is from the Royal Navy.

I recommend that you delete your post and repost each card separately.

Edited by FROGSMILE

37 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Tom it would be much better if you reposted each post card individually just like most others before.  That way each image can be analysed and commented upon easily.

Ironically the first picture of a blue uniformed individual on his own answers perfectly your earlier query, regarding the group photo supposedly at a heritage spot in Northern Ireland, because the close up features on his uniform show he is from the Royal Navy.

I recommend that you delete your post and repost each card separately.

i will but do i post them all seperately at once or just a few for now?

1 minute ago, TomWW1 said:

i will but do i post them all seperately at once or just a few for now?

It’s up to you, depending on what time you have.  Just posting a few individually will be fine, but ideally not those you’ve already posted in previous threads, of which I can see several.  They have already been commented upon at length and so it would be a duplication of effort and cause confusion and inconvenience to any who don’t realise that.

Just now, FROGSMILE said:

It’s up to you, depending on what time you have.  Just posting a few individually will be fine, but ideally not those you’ve already posted in previous threads, of which I can see several.  They have already been commented upon at length and so it would be a duplication of effort and cause confusion and inconvenience to any who don’t realise that.

Okay when I get time I will

1 minute ago, TomWW1 said:

Okay when I get time I will

The reason for posting the images is so that they can be analysed and commented upon Tom, otherwise it adds very little.