The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

Just now, morrisc8 said:

Paris 1916  from my collection.

ww1 Paris 1916 GH. back.jpg

ww1 Paris 1916 GH.jpg

I cant help on any info but i just wanted to say Wow! Amazing photo!

8 minutes ago, morrisc8 said:

Paris 1916  from my collection.

ww1 Paris 1916 GH. back.jpg

ww1 Paris 1916 GH.jpg

Gordon Highlanders.  A good example of respirator cases being worn in the traditional position of a sporran.  In the example shown below a standard jacket has been turned under at its corners to simulate a Scottish cut.

IMG_1193.jpeg

IMG_1194.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

6 hours ago, TomWW1 said:

No idea if this is even war related just wanted to post it

IMG_0129.jpeg

It’s a very good photo of a private in the Grenadier Guards wearing drill order (belt with one ammunition pouch).  Looking at his general appearance and what seems to be a SMLE long arm, just pre WW1 would be about right.  At the end of WW1 King George V ordered that the minimum rank in the Guards Division was to be Guardsman as a replacement for Private.  Notice that the boots are highly polished, but not ‘bulled’ to a high shine in the way that they have been from post WW2 national service (conscription) onward.

IMG_1199.jpeg

IMG_1198.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 minute ago, FROGSMILE said:

It’s a very good photo of a private in the Grenadier Guards wearing drill order (belt with one ammunition pouch).  Looking at his general appearance and what seems to be a SMLE long arm, just pre WW1 would be about right.

Thanks for the info FROGSMILE, appreciate it

On 12/12/2023 at 09:02, TomWW1 said:

Thanks for the info FROGSMILE, appreciate it

I’m glad to help.  I might have the rifle wrong and it could be a ‘long’ Lee Enfield, as the bayonet pattern No 7 with a shorter blade than usual for a SMLE is fitted, but I can see an upper sling swivel that suggests SMLE.  Ergo it might be an SMLE with old style (No7) short bayonet.

IMG_1200.jpeg

IMG_1202.jpeg

IMG_1201.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

2 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

I’m glad to help.  I might have the rifle wrong and it could be a ‘long’ Lee Enfield, as the bayonet pattern with a shorter blade than usual for a SMLE is fitted.

Maybe, is there anyway i could somehow if i was lucky enough be able to identify the man in the photo?

Edited by TomWW1

Just now, TomWW1 said:

Maybe, is there anyway i could somehow if i was lucky enough to identify the man in the photo?

Not unless you happen to have all his details written on the back! 

Just now, FROGSMILE said:

Not unless you happen to have all his details written on the back! 

about that ill take a photo when i get home later but the photo is like glued to the back of like a green bit of carboard

Just now, TomWW1 said:

about that ill take a photo when i get home later but the photo is like glued to the back of like a green bit of carboard

It sounds like the backing from either, a picture frame, or an old photo album.  You would have to be very careful how you removed it, and there’s no guarantee that anyone will have written who it is on the back of the actual photo.

Just now, FROGSMILE said:

It sounds like the backing from either, a picture frame, or an old photo album.  You would have to be very careful how you removed it, and there’s no guarantee that anyone will have written who it is on the back of the actual photo.

Exactly and lets be honest if they planned on putting it in a photo frame i doubt there is anything on the back but you never know i guess!

On 13/12/2023 at 09:53, TomWW1 said:

Heres another for you guys!

IMG_0156.jpeg

Once again he is I believe a member of the Royal Naval Air Service (RNAS) and wearing class III working rig with its usual black buttons.  The jacket is an unusual type, with bellowed cargo pockets in the skirt, and might perhaps be associated with a particular trade - see photo of ‘carpenters’ below**.  It is the same type of jacket as is seen in the group photo in your separate thread a week ago when for some reason you thought it might’ve been at the Giants Causeway in Northern Ireland.  I cannot see any rate or trade badges so I think he is a technician of some kind, but presumably below both, the leading seaman, or petty officer level, but I would concede to the far greater knowledge of @horatio2 and @RNCVR as to what the man’s status might be?  I think that dark caps were the winter rig and white covers worn on top in the summer if I recall correctly.

**perhaps carpenter had special pockets for some reason.

IMG_1175.jpeg

IMG_1173.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

AIF 5th Division Trench Mortar men( boys judging by their youthful looks) this photo likely a Louis Thuillier image taken at Vignacourt.

IMG_3090.jpeg

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

Once again he is I believe a member of the Royal Naval Air Service (RNAS) and wearing class III working rig with its usual black buttons.    I cannot see any rate or trade badges so I think he is a technician of some kind, but presumably below both, the leading seaman, or petty officer level, but I would concede to the far greater knowledge of @horatio2 and @RNCVR as to what the man’s status might be?  I think that dark caps were the winter rig and white covers worn on top in the summer if I recall correctly.

**perhaps carpenter had special pockets for some reason.

Class III uniform "Men not dressed as Seamen". No indication of rate or rank badges, so unable to determine his trade in the RNAS.  Yes, he could well be a Carpenter, or Rigger, Fitter, etc.  Likely ground crew.

Edited by RNCVR

5 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

Class III uniform "Men not dressed as Seamen". No indication of rate or rank badges, so unable to determine his trade in the RNAS.  Yes, he could well be a Carpenter, or Rigger, Fitter, etc.  Likely ground crew.

okay thank you for the information i highly doubt we can really go any further finding information on the man?

55 minutes ago, TomWW1 said:

okay thank you for the information i highly doubt we can really go any further finding information on the man?

No, very slim or no chance.  I have many RPPCs in my collection un named, will never know who they were.  I dont think many were actually named as the person being photo'd & those he was sending the cards to knew who he was & thus no reason in his mind to ID the card.

3 hours ago, morrisc8 said:

One more came in the post today. ASC Cpl ? [ not happy ]

ww1 asc Cpl truck.jpg

ww1 truck asc.jpg

ww1 asc french truck.jpg

Great photo of WW1 Anglo/American association and cooperation.  Don’t that often see such scenes in the theatre of war.  Thank you for sharing.

5 hours ago, RNCVR said:

Thank you Bryan, that makes sense.  I’d like to get better information about the unusual jacket pockets, but despite searching in the National Maritime Museum online collection, which has a goodly number of uniform items, I cannot find a surviving example.

6 hours ago, mark holden said:

AIF 5th Division Trench Mortar men( boys judging by their youthful looks) this photo likely a Louis Thuillier image taken at Vignacourt.

IMG_3090.jpeg

They look like genuine twins Mark.  Thanks for posting.

Did they make it home to Australia?  We will never know!

19 hours ago, mark holden said:

IMG_3090.jpeg

Both look to be wearing British tunics 

Forgot to post this one yesterday as it is dated "Sunday 17/12/16" and inscribed;

Belgium 1916

Xmas greetings all round. Please make the best of your time, and forget me for a short time. Christmas 1916 will only appear once.

Best love to all

Stanley

Wearing cloth Royal Garrison Artillery shoulder titles.

RA.0005a - Stanley, RGA.jpg

1 hour ago, gunnerwalker said:

Forgot to post this one yesterday as it is dated "Sunday 17/12/16" and inscribed;

Belgium 1916

Xmas greetings all round. Please make the best of your time, and forget me for a short time. Christmas 1916 will only appear once.

Best love to all

Stanley

Wearing cloth Royal Garrison Artillery shoulder titles.

RA.0005a - Stanley, RGA.jpg

A super photo, thank you for posting it.  He’s also wearing the 1916 soft SD forage cap (aka trench cap) designed for ease of stowing away when helmets were issued, and marked out by its stitched concentric lines on peak and headband.  It’s a little unusual that he wears the 03 belt along with his bandolier, as a lot of men didn’t bother with the former when wearing the latter.  Across his chest can be seen the strap for his small box respirator case. The gloves he clasps are of especially good  quality, with a tight knit and leather reinforcement to the edge of their cuff.  The army issue gloves did not have those premium features.

IMG_1238.jpeg

IMG_1239.jpeg

IMG_1241.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE