Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

Trying to work out what's going on here.  The postcard is captioned "3rd W. Lancs Royal Engineers" and was taken by Griffin Photographers of St.Helens.  However, there are no uniforms in sight:

image.png.7bd7cc889774d16df2f3667ed26ac7a5.png

Any ideas on why this card was created?

Looks like practicing building a bridge-trestle. The lack of uniforms suggests 1914

5 hours ago, 6RRF said:

Looks like practicing building a bridge-trestle. The lack of uniforms suggests 1914

Agreed.  Simple bridge construction for water crossings was an annual training requirement for infantry battalions.  It was also on the syllabus at RMC Sandhurst.

IMG_0619.jpeg

IMG_0622.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thanks gents.  I'd figured out the trestle part.  It was the lack of uniforms that confused me.  

British Red Cross Society, The Welsh Hospital, Netley, Hampshire.

Photograph by J.T. Eltringham, Woolston. 

"With best wishes from W. Phillips, Sept. 1915". 

Welsh Hospital.pg.jpg

7 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Welsh Hospital.pg.jpg

I’d not heard of the Welsh Hospital before now, I wonder what happened to young Master Phillips and whether or not he was ever conscripted.

Apparently the Welsh Hospital at Netley, Southampton, was -

“paid for by the generosity of people living in the cities, towns, and villages of Wales”.

“The generosity of people from across Wales saw huge sums of money raised and beds named after towns which had contributed as thousands of soldiers wounded on the frontline during the Great War underwent their recoveries.”

“During World War One a Red Cross field hospital was constructed in the sprawling grounds of the main hospital and 200 beds were paid for by the generosity of the people of Wales.”

“The collection of huts which became known as The Welsh Hospital was described in The Building News in November 1915: "It was a complete hospital on orthodox lines, of timber framing covered externally with galvanised steel. A good space was provided under the wards for the circulation of air.”

"The roofs of this hospital are covered with Welsh slate, these being procurable at less price than asbestos sheeting owing to the shortened demand in consequence of the war."

“It was originally meant to be a temporary hospital which could be dismantled and relocated to the front in France. The equipment at the hospital was cutting edge for the time and included X-ray machines and the latest medicines.”

“Four blocks of wards were constructed to make up the Welsh Hospital, each with two rows of beds. At its centre was an operating theatre as well as a kitchen block and quarters for the nurses who were caring for the sick and wounded.”

“The article from The Building News continued: "In his later buildings Mr Pick has provided an open fire at the end of each ward in a partly enclosed dayroom; they were appreciated for the appearance of comfort, and afforded also for the nurses some means of warming their hands previous to changing dressings."

“To fund the care of the soldiers being tended at the Welsh Hospital a number of appeals were placed in newspapers calling on the people of Wales to send money and sponsor a bed.”

“The first appeal in 1914 raised £28,000 (the equivalent of around £1.6m today), far exceeding expectations.“

“Many of the beds were named after cities, towns, and villages in Wales. For example in 1917 the committee of the 1916 National Eisteddfod donated £70 (equivalent to around £4,000 today) to the "Aberystwyth bed". 

“Other beds were named the "Barmouth bed" and the "Vale of Taffy bed" while there was even a "Welsh dog bed" and a "Welsh horse bed". Newspaper reports from the time reveal that dogs were dressed up and walked through the street to collect donations to pay for the "Welsh dog bed".

“The huts and beds at the Welsh Hospital were often named after a particular town or area where the residents raised funds in fairs and through donations from people living there.”

IMG_0625.jpeg

IMG_0628.jpeg

IMG_0627.jpeg

IMG_0626.jpeg

IMG_0629.jpeg

IMG_0630.jpeg

IMG_0631.jpeg

IMG_0632.jpeg

IMG_0634.jpeg

IMG_0633.jpeg

IMG_0637.jpeg

IMG_0636.jpeg

IMG_0635.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

3 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

I’d not heard of the Welsh Hospital before. 

"Welsh dog bed".

I have a couple of postcards sent to, or from the Welsh Hospital, and remember being quite surprised to find it wasn’t in Wales. I re-read the article you posted last night, just before uploading my postcard. Having another look through this morning, I believe Master Phillips appears in the group photograph of orderlies outside the office.  I could not find him listed as B.R.C.S. volunteer, so believe that he may have been conscripted later.  

B58E0811-26AB-4136-B6B2-B8270966FE7A.jpeg

011EC84E-4CAA-4ECC-9070-5685700BC005.jpeg

Edit: I think I’d have preferred the “Aberystwyth bed” to the “Welsh dog bed”.  

Edited by GWF1967

1 hour ago, GWF1967 said:

I have a couple of postcards sent to, or from the Welsh Hospital, and remember being quite surprised to find it wasn’t in Wales. I re-read the article you posted last night, just before uploading my postcard. Having another look through this morning, I believe Master Phillips appears in the group photograph of orderlies outside the office.  I could not find him listed as B.R.C.S. volunteer, so believe that he may have been conscripted later.  

B58E0811-26AB-4136-B6B2-B8270966FE7A.jpeg

011EC84E-4CAA-4ECC-9070-5685700BC005.jpeg

Edit: I think I’d have preferred the “Aberystwyth bed” to the “Welsh dog bed”.  

Yes that’s him alright - well spotted!  I wonder if he ended up in the RAMC, he’s quite a slender looking lad and it would probably have been a good fit.

As regards - I think I’d have preferred the “Aberystwyth bed” to the “Welsh dog bed” - yes it most likely would have ponged quite a bit - a sort of wet Labrador smell - lovely!

Edited by FROGSMILE

10 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Welsh Hospital.pg.jpg

He is wearing one of the regional cap badges as opposed to the standard British Red Cross Society pattern.    Pete.

17 minutes ago, CorporalPunishment said:

He is wearing one of the regional cap badges as opposed to the standard British Red Cross Society pattern.    Pete.

If GWF1967 can find out which region he joined I’ll try to track down the relevant badge.

1 minute ago, FROGSMILE said:

If GWF1967 can find out which region he joined I’ll try to track down the relevant badge.

I’d guess at Hampshire - others listed by region seemed to volunteer at local hospitals. 

48 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

I’d guess at Hampshire - others listed by region seemed to volunteer at local hospitals. 

Found this, made by a hospital patient somewhere in the county.

Presumably the numbers relate to the location of county detachments.

IMG_0646.jpeg

IMG_0647.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

21 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Found this, made by a hospital patient somewhere in the county.

Many thanks for digging.

"Resolven Boys" This photograph is reproduced on the Resolven History Society website (creased & faded), and also appeared in the Aberdare Leader - 24th July 1915. 

" The 9th Welsh - On Wednesday, (14th July) the inhabitants of Resolven turned out in grand style to give a send-off to the boys of the 9th Welsh. Nearly a hundred Resolvenites have joined this particular regiment , in which one of them is colour sergeant, viz William Hawkins and three are sergeants, viz., T. Owen(s), Reggie Stroud and Jim Hooper. On Tuesday evening the boys had a smoker at the New Inn. Also Mr Jenkins the proprietor of  Vivian Hall, gave a free admission to them and their families. Some 50 presents of pipes and cigarette cases were presented to the boys by their friends."

C.S.M William Hawkins. 15925 -   9th Welsh.  France. 18/7/1915.  Died of Wounds 2/10/1915.  - 2nd General Hospital , Manchester.  Buried. Resolven (St. David) Churchyard.

Sgt. Thomas Owen. 14606 - No. 6 Platoon, 9th Welsh.  France. 18/7/1915.   Killed in Action.  7/6/1917.  Buried. Voormezeele Enclosure No.3  XVI. K. 12

Sgt. Reggie Stroud. 14605 - Enlisted 2/9/1914.  9th Welsh.  France. 18/7/1915.   Discharged. 15/9/1917.   Silver War Badge - Wounded.  

Sgt/ C.S.M./WOII. James Hooper. 14906 - Enlisted. 2/9/1914.  9th Welsh.  France. 18/7/1915.  Distinguished Conduct Medal - L.G. 22/9/1916.  - 219465. Labour Corps.  Discharged. 19/7/1918.  Silver War Badge - Wounded. 

Welsh Regt....jpg

D.C.M..jpg

Edited by GWF1967

CSM Hooper and the Cpl to his left (our right as we look at the photo) appear to be wearing medal ribands. QSA and KSA?

58 DM.

59 minutes ago, 58 Div Mule said:

CSM Hooper and the Cpl to his left (our right as we look at the photo) appear to be wearing medal ribands. QSA and KSA?

58 DM.

Yes, I think so. I haven’t checked for Hooper in the South African rolls yet. 
edit: I think Hawkins may be the chap with S.A. ribbons, and Hooper on his left with the swagger stick. 
Calling  @FROGSMILE

Edited by GWF1967

47 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Yes, I think so. I haven’t checked for Hooper in the South African rolls yet. 
edit: I think Hawkins may be the chap with S.A. ribbons, and Hooper on his left with the swagger stick. 
Calling  @FROGSMILE

Both men are seated cross legged centrally.  The CQMS holds a swagger stick and sports a Hitler style moustache.  The CSM is adjacent to him with the brass crown rank badge on his right forearm discernible.

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

Both men are seated cross legged centrally.  The CQMS holds a swagger stick and sports a Hitler style moustache.  The CSM is adjacent to him with the brass crown rank badge on his right forearm discernible.

Which man would be senior?

29 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Which man would be senior?

In general a rank badge on the forearm indicates the more senior man, in this case that’s the CSM, as 58DM has said.

31 minutes ago, 58 Div Mule said:

The CSM.

58 DM.

2 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

In general a rank badge on the forearm indicates the more senior man, in this case that’s the CSM, as 58DM has said.

Thanks to both. So it’s Hawkins on the right. 

Is anyone able to help with identifying the insignia patch on this Gloucestershire man's arm? It doesn't appear to be any of the divisional patches I can find, unless there are variations which aren't found easily with an internet search. The pattern looks to be a dark background colour with a horizontal, slightly curved stripe through the middle.

GL.0027.jpg

25 minutes ago, gunnerwalker said:

Is anyone able to help with identifying the insignia patch on this Gloucestershire man's arm? It doesn't appear to be any of the divisional patches I can find, unless there are variations which aren't found easily with an internet search. The pattern looks to be a dark background colour with a horizontal, slightly curved stripe through the middle.

@poona guard maybe able to help.  

Edit. Your postcard appears on p.177 of The Badges of Kitchener's Army - David Bilton (Poona guard) where he is identified as "A Lance-Corporal of the 8th Battalion". The patch is red, blue and yellow striped. 

637638D0-C038-421B-AF0A-45D186A84C77.jpeg

Edited by GWF1967

46 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

@poona guard maybe able to help.  

Edit. Your postcard appears on p.177 of The Badges of Kitchener's Army - David Bilton (Poona guard) where he is identified as "A Lance-Corporal of the 8th Battalion". The patch is red, blue and yellow striped. 

637638D0-C038-421B-AF0A-45D186A84C77.jpeg

Thanks! I have a few cards of 8th Battalion men but haven't come across it before. 

Annual camp of the Bedford Grammar School Officer Training Corps. This unit was affiliated and badged to the Royal Engineers.

13243867_1732890776979131_2236449829425013020_o.jpg

13732012_1756927771242098_7514170283008834323_o.jpg