Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

Group photograph featuring Pte. Walter Cudmore. G/26183.  7th Battalion East Kent Regiment (Buffs). 

Buffs .Cudmore.jpg

Battalion scout, D Coy, 4th Battalion, East Kent Regiment (Buffs).

Buffs Scout..jpg

On 16/10/2023 at 17:45, battle of loos said:

:thumbsup:

Here is another example of the leather football buttons Michel.  He is Durham Light Infantry.

IMG_0285.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

image.png.606e0870ce3c7759963a5ae4d65e80ed.png

French soldiers of the 349th Infantry Regiment in a trench, late 1915.

10 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Here is another example of the leather football buttons Michel.

IMG_0285.jpeg

nice picture :thumbsup:

Between August 1914 and May 1915 the Highland Division was based in Bedford. The Argyll and Sutherland Infantry Brigade (1/6th, 1/7th, 1/8th and 1/9th Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders) were billeted in the area of Castle Road. Here men of the A&SH pose outside 18 Denmark Street along with some local children. image.jpeg.f72ef853a61d53f9c829cb454eee9cec.jpeg

Portrait of François Antoine COGNET taken from his time interned at Stuttgart, April 1916. 

Scan 206.jpeg

The band of the 1st Battalion, Gloucestershire Regiment.

Addressed to Pte. Victor Beane from Pte. Victor Beane.

GL.0022 - 1st Battalion Band. Sent by 44862 Pte. Victor Beane, to himself..jpg

Sergeants' Mess of the South Wales Borderers. Can anyone tell me what the armband worn by the sergeant second from left is?

SWB.0009 - mess tent.jpg

25 minutes ago, gunnerwalker said:

The band of the 1st Battalion, Gloucestershire Regiment.

Addressed to Pte. Victor Beane from Pte. Victor Beane.

GL.0022 - 1st Battalion Band. Sent by 44862 Pte. Victor Beane, to himself..jpg

Superb photo, I love it!  Notice the Boy Bandsmen in their usual (traditional) place, sat crossed legged on the ground at front.  

Edited by FROGSMILE

Is there a corner of the forum for anglophone French interest in the war ? I started a thread many years ago, but I don't see anything posted or any responses to French photos or stories in general. 

15 hours ago, gunnerwalker said:

Sergeants' Mess of the South Wales Borderers. Can anyone tell me what the armband worn by the sergeant second from left is?

SWB.0009 - mess tent.jpg

SP - sanitary police.  They were trained by the RAMC in the importance of fresh water sources, decontamination, disposal of food waste and, in particular, the siting, size, and design (long drop/short drop) of field latrines at tented encampments.  The focus was on bacteriology and the avoidance of food poisoning and waterborne diseases such as cholera and malaria.

Edited by FROGSMILE

11 minutes ago, Tomb1302 said:

Is there a corner of the forum for anglophone French interest in the war ? I started a thread many years ago, but I don't see anything posted or any responses to French photos or stories in general. 

I’ve never seen any specific section of the site dedicated to the French Armed Forces of WW1, Tomb1302.  I don’t think it’s that no one is interested, but there’s no doubt that a majority of site visitors are interested in their own families, and the British experience.  There are often threads covering German aspects, although even they are less common.  In fairness, though, I doubt that there are dedicated British sections of French language sites, but perhaps I’m wrong in that?

I am certainly very interested in your French images and focus myself, but I have very little knowledge of them.

Edited by FROGSMILE

13 minutes ago, Tomb1302 said:

I enjoyed your thread in the Soldiers section of the forum and was pleased to see you post your images here, adding to the variety on this thread. 

14 minutes ago, Tomb1302 said:

Further to FROGSMILE’s comment - I think most people on this site are interested in all aspects and perspectives of the war. However, it being a British site it would be a fair assumption that the majority of the expertise here is British-oriented. Personally, I like to see all kinds of images and read stories people have to share - but I fall into the category of having lots more I need to learn than I am able to share, so can’t always contribute much. I for one wouldn’t like to see you or anyone else refrain from sharing content and I shall try to make more of an effort in future to interact. 

All, 

Thanks for the very cordial responses. No harm was intended in my comment, as a fluent French / English speaker I was just curious. I think where I was raising an eyebrow is in the Allied forums I've seen, there's a decent interest in German, although I don't discredit the possible reasons for that. If it doesn't bother anybody, I'll keep sharing my French :thumbsup:

Again without poor intention, I have an archival website for French photographs where I tally how many combattants I have identified by myself and with the help of others. 

https://www.ww1throughfrencheyes.com/

Thanks all,

Thomas

3 hours ago, Tomb1302 said:

All, 

Thanks for the very cordial responses. No harm was intended in my comment, as a fluent French / English speaker I was just curious. I think where I was raising an eyebrow is in the Allied forums I've seen, there's a decent interest in German, although I don't discredit the possible reasons for that. If it doesn't bother anybody, I'll keep sharing my French :thumbsup:

Again without poor intention, I have an archival website for French photographs where I tally how many combattants I have identified by myself and with the help of others. 

https://www.ww1throughfrencheyes.com/

Thanks all,

Thomas

No animosity detected in your original post, don’t worry! It’s a fair point you raise. I’m newish to the forum still and will happily read most things I come across.

If you’re a Twitt*r user like me you might follow a chap who goes by @Ri315e. If not - he shares excellent perspectives of his great-grandfather and other French soldiers from the 315e RI, plus other regiments. He has some fantastic diary entries that he shares and a very good website - http://315-204-6regiments.com. I’ll have a look through yours too. 

All the best

Archie

Edited by gunnerwalker
Typo

46 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Superb photo, I love it!  Notice the Boy Bandsmen in their usual (traditional) place, sat crossed legged on the ground at front.  

Yes it’s a great photo isn’t it! I thought it would be up your street too. I count at least a dozen of the older men with ribbons on their chest as well, plus a few wound stripes and overseas chevrons to be spotted.

42 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

SP - sanitary police.  They were trained by the RAMC in the importance of fresh water sources, decontamination and, in particular, the siting, size, and design (long drop/short drop) of field latrines at tented encampments.  The focus was on bacteriology and the avoidance of food poisoning and waterborne diseases such as cholera and malaria.

Thank you. I thought there was another letter following the ‘SP’ as it looks as if there’s the start of something else just visible as the band goes round the sleeve? 

5 hours ago, Tomb1302 said:

Portrait de François Antoine COGNET réalisé lors de son internat à Stuttgart, avril 1916. 

Scanner 206.jpeg

good evening,

very nice picture.

period : 1915

image.png.8375d361d8cd446090d0f86db365e35e.png

michel

14 hours ago, gunnerwalker said:

Yes it’s a great photo isn’t it! I thought it would be up your street too. I count at least a dozen of the older men with ribbons on their chest as well, plus a few wound stripes and overseas chevrons to be spotted.

Thank you. I thought there was another letter following the ‘SP’ as it looks as if there’s the start of something else just visible as the band goes round the sleeve? 

I’m not sure there’s a third letter, or what it might be if there is.  If you search within the forum “armbands” and “brassards” you should find various threads on the subject, some of which go into greater detail.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Sapper Ralph Collins. T/1354 - 562482. royal Engineers.  Also Pte. 2701. 24th London Regiment.

Ralph Collins ..jpg

Pte. Harold Randolph Gwilliam. 13564. Army Pay Corps.  - Formerly 13590. King's Shropshire Light Infantry.

Harold Gwilliam A.P.Corps ..jpg

7 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Sapper Ralph Collins. T/1354 - 562482. royal Engineers.  Also Pte. 2701. 24th London Regiment.

Ralph Collins ..jpg

A fine portrait image.  I believe he is wearing the shoulder title below.  I wonder if he survived the war.  He was clearly yet another combed out into the infantry.  Many were killed during 1918.

IMG_0366.jpeg

7 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Pte. Harold Randolph Gwilliam. 13564. Army Pay Corps.  - Formerly 13590. King's Shropshire Light Infantry.

Harold Gwilliam A.P.Corps ..jpg

The lenses on his glasses betray that he was clearly short sighted.  I imagine him as a numerate man able to see better down the barrel of a pen than down the barrel of an SMLE, hence perhaps his departure from the infantry.  I’ll be surprised if he didn’t survive the war unless he was unlucky with Spanish Flu.

Edited by FROGSMILE

5 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

A fine portrait image.  I believe he is wearing the shoulder title below.  I wonder if he survived the war.  He was clearly yet another combed out into the infantry.  Many were killed during 1918.

IMG_0366.jpeg

Plymouth photographer, so I thought it might be T-R.E - Cornwall, but unfortunately it isn't clear enough.