Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

T - 7 - R.W.F. at camp.

A lone King's Own signaller front and centre with T.F Efficiency Star on show.

R.A. + (2).jpg

On 02/10/2019 at 00:23, IPT said:

Do you know who "Will" was?  I can see that the letter was written to the wife of Henry Villa, who appears to have been on board HMS Canterbury at the time (presumably the Harry mentioned?)

Henry did have a brother called William but he was killed with the RFA in March 1917 and I can't see anyone on Lizzie's side. Sadly, there were around 140 Williams killed on Black Prince.

Sadly I do not have any further info on him, thank you for looking though! 

6856 L/Sergeant Alfred Charman DCM ( LG. 19/8/16) 1st Bn The  Warwickshire Regiment. "For conspicuous good service at a critical moment whereby he was mainly responsible for a averting the capture of many men".

He was awarded the DCM in August 1916 for his action where during the retreat at Mons about 250 men would invertedly have been taken prisoner at St. Quentin had not Sgt Charman acted promptly and despite many dangerous brought up reinforcements.

1914 Star 22/8/14

Queen's South Africa medal with 5 clasps.

Kings South Africa medal with two clasps

In 1908 he also took part in the Indian frontier campaign which he was awarded the Indian General Service Medal.

IMG_20191006_133256082.jpg

I'll share perhaps my favorite one in my collection.

Screen Shot 2019-09-22 at 10.45.01 AM.png

Edited by Tomb1302

On 04/10/2019 at 00:28, GWF1967 said:

T - 7 - R.W.F. at camp.

A lone King's Own signaller front and centre with T.F Efficiency Star on show.

The King’s Own probably ‘attached’ in order to qualify for his annual cash ‘Bounty’.  That was permitted if a man was unable to attend annual camp with his own unit through no fault of his own.

2 hours ago, Muerrisch said:

Sgt Charman would also, when issued, have the BWM and VM to add to his impressive rack.

Thank you.

Was he from the battalion whose Commanding Officer was disgraced and cashiered?

On 06/10/2019 at 17:09, FROGSMILE said:

The King’s Own probably ‘attached’ in order to qualify for his annual cash ‘Bounty’.  That was permitted if a man was unable to attend annual camp with his own unit through no fault of his own.

Many thanks.

Belgian Officer reusing an old British tunic

Scan0360 (2).jpg

Scan0360 (3).jpg

Edited by Jools mckenna

That is very interesting, could he be an interpreter or similar? 

3 hours ago, Toby Brayley said:

That is very interesting, could he be an interpreter or similar? 

The Belgians adopted British style uniforms midway through the war and this officer looks as if he has been resourceful and repurposed a British officer’s jacket.

5 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

The Belgians adopted British style uniforms midway through the war and this officer looks as if he has been resourceful and repurposed a British officer’s jacket.

Exactly my thinking.

Looks like he's fixed the right sleeve(or his left).

Edited by Jools mckenna

Young ASC driver with possibly a sibling wearing his dress uniform. I say that as the dress uniform looks long and bulky on the smaller individual. Could be wrong though.

ASC & sister.JPG

3 hours ago, Waddell said:

Young ASC driver with possibly a sibling wearing his dress uniform. I say that as the dress uniform looks long and bulky on the smaller individual. Could be wrong though.

Yes, there does seem a family likeness.  I think it is probably his sister, fingers seem slender and feminine, and longer than usual hair can be seen at the temples, tucked up inside the forage cap.

Edited by FROGSMILE

The reverse reads...

"Uncle Pat 2nd Battalion King's Own, India 1914...Died Egypt 1916"

KO 2nd bat 1914 Pat KIA 1916.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

. Arnold Harry Bury.  B. Salford 1894.     Pte. 37036. Royal Welsh Fusiliers.   F+F - 6/11/1915 - Transferred to Army Service Corps. Pte. S4/197679.  8/11/1917.

Thomas Ivor Johns. B. Bridgend. 1897.   Pte. 37541. 2/7th R.W.F.   Transferred to A.S.C. Dvr. T/437245.  28/8/1918. 

Bury. RWF. (2).jpg

Johns..jpg

Johns. RWF.jpg

6 minutes ago, Gardenerbill said:

Looks like Pte Bury in the first picture has a wound stripe on his left sleeve, could be the reason why he was transferred to the ASC.

Thanks Mark,

Handily his medal roll has dates of overseas service 6/11/15 - 6/4/17 - R.W.F,  and 8/11/17 - 30/6/19.   A transfer, after treatment and medical re-grading, during the 7 months in the UK . 

On 24/10/2019 at 22:45, GWF1967 said:

R.W.F.  Group with boy Bugler.

Superb photo!  Although holding a bugle he is in fact a Boy Drummer.  Note the gilding metal drum badge on his right upper arm just about discernible, along with the perhaps’Woodbine’ fag between his fingers.  They seem very likely from their appearance to be men of a Kitchener ‘Service’ battalion.

70C5AF60-9527-403D-A633-37D57DE4C99F.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Yes, probably Kitchener, an extreme mix of youth and age, leather equipment, absence of shoulder titles and cap badges on many, economy jackets.

Actually not a pretty sight for followers of this elite Royal regiment. I itch to smarten them up!

1 hour ago, Muerrisch said:

Actually not a pretty sight for followers of this elite Royal regiment. I itch to smarten them up!

indeed!  Here are some regulars to cheer you (and me) up....

C96AD015-84A6-460D-8497-BD8D262A83B3.jpeg

B1079739-5C81-43D5-858A-8DA652E25FB7.jpeg

D580F9C1-6337-4224-B7D6-49245CE6F98E.jpeg

EDA81163-045E-4297-9A4D-4EE508E866CE.jpeg

Thank you! Barter VC in centre of this pre-May 1915 group full of interest. Four RSMs in the group and a RQMS.

The third portrait shows the very unusual [for then] LMG brass badge. A rare sighting.