Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

14 hours ago, Ilbury Welsh said:

Excuse my ignorance, but what does the term "voided" mean as in the cap badges. John

It refers to some part of the badge being cut out or fretted so that the details are separated to some degree.  Such a process leaves holes or ‘voids’ in the badges. Sometimes this exposes a coloured backing.

Edited by FROGSMILE

9 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Pipers would have had plain glengarry caps as seen here, but most Royal Scots wore the diced version. The belt’s been made from plaited leather.  The main leather work centre was at Kanpur (Cawnpore).

The cap badge is similar to HLI, who wore plain green glengarry caps, but voided cap badges (if that’s what they are) militate against.

.....I don't know when the practice first started, but the pipers of the Royal Scots didn't wear a voided cap badge but a solid one.  It was similar/same as the pre-1890 cap badge of the 2nd battalion, who subsequently changed to a green backing, whereas the 1st battalion had red.

The 2nd Battalion was in India (including Madras I believe) for many years in the 1890s and well into the 1900s, then the 1st Battalion went out and was there as of 1914.  There are photos of pipers of both battalions (around that era) in the Royal Scots collection of bagpipe music, but it doesn't appear that the men in the postcard are in the photos.  Of course there could have been changes or they may have been elsewhere.  Certainly not definitive.

Cap Badge does appear more Royal Scots than HLI in the photo above.  However, I note that the 1st Bn. HLI were also in India prior to WW1......

Thanks Ron and Frogsmile for your thoughts on the postcard. 

Scott

9 hours ago, Ron Abbott said:

.....I don't know when the practice first started, but the pipers of the Royal Scots didn't wear a voided cap badge but a solid one.  It was similar/same as the pre-1890 cap badge of the 2nd battalion, who subsequently changed to a green backing, whereas the 1st battalion had red.

The 2nd Battalion was in India (including Madras I believe) for many years in the 1890s and well into the 1900s, then the 1st Battalion went out and was there as of 1914.  There are photos of pipers of both battalions (around that era) in the Royal Scots collection of bagpipe music, but it doesn't appear that the men in the postcard are in the photos.  Of course there could have been changes or they may have been elsewhere.  Certainly not definitive.

Cap Badge does appear more Royal Scots than HLI in the photo above.  However, I note that the 1st Bn. HLI were also in India prior to WW1......

Interesting about the RS piper’s solid badges Ron.  If the photo was taken during WW1 then I suppose it’s possible that the glengarry worn is the plain utility or simplified pattern that was issued for a period, especially if the unit is TF and sent out to replace a regular garrison.  I’m not sure which RS battalions were deployed.

7F1FAA45-50CD-44F3-8416-D8EC75C12E30.jpeg

184D5E30-4469-445E-B4C5-69AEC76A6409.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, Gardenerbill said:

Picked up this postcard at Deal Saturday market a few weeks ago, French or Belgian? Reverse is blank.

IMG_1650a.jpg.4cc8c62052e41a85d49695fd2dba1803.jpg

I would say french as he has the 'Croix de Guerre', appears to have the 'Médaille militaire' and appears to have the french version of the victory medal.

Edited by Jools mckenna

@Gardenerbill,

I can confirm for you he is French. See below the comparison of the 'Croix de Guerre' medal for both nations (Left is Belgian, right is French).

I hope that helps somewhat.

Screen Shot 2019-08-25 at 9.05.51 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-08-25 at 9.06.18 AM.png

Edited by Tomb1302

Any German speakers able to read or translate this for me please?

Thank you.

Screen Shot 2019-08-26 at 7.42.04 PM.png

Edited by Tomb1302

Senders name is Alois Mrosek of IV. Minenwerfer-Bataillon, 1. Abt. He writes that the picture shows 1st section of his battalion and that he is among them. Asks his familiy members to spot him. Tells them he received parcel and letter from them and that he will send parcel and letter to them the following day. The familiy lives in Silesia.

GreyC

3 hours ago, GreyC said:

Senders name is Alois Mrosek of IV. Minenwerfer-Bataillon, 1. Abt. He writes that the picture shows 1st section of his battalion and that he is among them. Asks his familiy members to spot him. Tells them he received parcel and letter from them and that he will send parcel and letter to them the following day. The familiy lives in Silesia.

GreyC

As always GreyC,

Thank you very much for helping!

I think Silesia is in Poland now, which seems to chime with his family name.  That border was very fluid over the Centuries.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Here are 3 postcards and 1 photo (Dated 1944, but I thought interesting enough to include as it shows badges and a medal ribbon) I was gifted by my Aunties Mum. Unfortunately she has no idea who they are. I wasn't sure if the second photo was Great War, but it looks like (to me!) as possibly a military tent/camp in the background.

DSC_1301.jpg.5dca8c880c697cd978d72b8781ca2601.jpg

DSC_1303.jpg.216d1b73854b9e9d56d80816081d8c08.jpg

DSC_1304.jpg.e7909ad507f3d4a0b8fb6cfd25e92f7e.jpg

DSC_1309.jpg.bc514fc778f2e252e2f461624393881d.jpg

DSC_1306.jpg.f64f52581368d6234310027c35cbd6d7.jpg

DSC_1308.jpg.eb66ec197db5d93d1f86d9cf24ab1b6c.jpg

Picture 1 a typical RN rating, but sadly without any view of his cap tally to show his ship.

Picture 2 seems to be a young athlete at Summer Camp.  He might be Territorial Army, but could also be one of many youth organisations.

Picture 3 is a soldier during WW1 given his simplified pattern SD jacket.  His glengarry badge is unclear, but reminiscent of the KOSB.

Picture 4 shows a Gordon Highlanders Corporal of 51st Highland Division during WW2. I cannot make out his medal ribbon, but it looks like it might be the Africa Star, suggesting 8th Army.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Picked this up as of local interest. The card is postmarked:-  6.45 pm 2 SP 16, September?

It is addressed to a Mrs.H.Smart in Alexandre Road, Wellingborough.  The house,

a typical terraced property in a long row of similar houses, still exists.

The message reads 'Dear Wife, just a card hoping you are well.  We are all three

spending the afternoon at Bedford.  Your loving Husband H.S.'

The cap badge looks like Royal Engineers.

Mike.

Image (44).jpg

Edited by MikeyH

5 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Picture 1 a typical RN rating, but sadly without any view of his cap tally to show his ship.

Picture 2 seems to be a young athlete at Summer Camp.  He might be Territorial Army, but could also be one of many youth organisations.

Picture 3 is a soldier during WW1 given his simplified pattern SD jacket.  His glengarry badge is unclear, but reminiscent of the KOSB.

Picture 4 shows a Gordon Highlanders Corporal of 51st Highland Division during WW2. I cannot make out his medal ribbon, but it looks like it might be the Africa Star, suggesting 8th Army.

FROGSMILE, thank you once again for your input, it is much appreciated. 

5 hours ago, MikeyH said:

Picked this up as of local interest. The card is postmarked:-  6.45 pm 2 SP 16, September?

It is addressed to a Mrs.H.Smart in Alexandre Road, Wellingborough.  The house,

a typical terraced property in a long row of similar houses, still exists.

The message reads 'Dear Wife, just a card hoping you are well.  We are all three

spending the afternoon at Bedford.  Your loving Husband H.S.'

The cap badge looks like Royal Engineers.

Mike.

They are all RE drivers and thus probably from an RE Engineer Park, which was an temporary storage area for large stores for entrenching (think corrugated tin, pickets, supports, barbed wire and other trench stores) and bridging, where wagons for the carriage of such materiel were also gathered.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Frogsmile,

Many thanks for your i.d.

Mike.