Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

On 31/08/2019 at 14:56, themonsstar said:

Post War photo of a group of WO & Sgt from the RA unit with the CO in the centre of the group front rank. Lots of medal's. One of the WO1 is wearing the (craftsman's badge).

IMG_20190831_084012116.jpg

IMG_20190831_084138242.jpg

Hammer and pincers - armourer

On 31/08/2019 at 15:06, themonsstar said:

Soldiers from The Royal West Kent Regt (The Buffs)

IMG_20190831_084217060.jpg

Hi

Queens Own West Kent yeomanry

as the badge does not have the lower scroll with Royal West Kent

nice photos  

13 hours ago, Guardsman said:

The 24th Battalion (Victoria Rifles), CEF, was authorized on 7 November 1914 and embarked for Great Britain on 11 May 1915, arriving in France on 16 September 1915, where it fought as part of the 5th Infantry Brigade, 2nd Canadian Division in France and Flanders until the end of the war. The 24th Battalion was disbanded on 15 September 1920

MOTTO: PRO ARIS ET FOCIS (For the altars and for the hearths)

BATTLE HONOURS 

Ypres, 1915 1917; Festubert, 1915; Mount Sorrel; Somme, 1916, '18; Flers-Courcelette; Thiepval; Ancre Heights; Arras, 1917, 1918; Vimy, 1917; Arleux; Scarpe, 1917, '18; HILL 70; Passchendaele; Amiens; Hindenburg Line; Canal du Nord; Cambrai, 1918; Pursuit to Mons; FRANCE AND FLANDERS, 1915 - 1918.

postcard of Walter G. Stacey taken in Montreal before departing for England.

postcard of regimental mascot "Squidge"

2nd Canadian expeditionary force  24th battalion assembled in Montreal - taken Feb 22th 1915

An interesting run down of Your Walter’s service, thank you for posting:

I think you will find that his portrait photo was taken in Britain, as his jacket is British Army pattern SD.  If I recall correctly most Canadian’s (certainly the first wave) arrived in Canadian SD, but then changed their uniforms over whilst retaining Canadian unit insignia.

Edited by FROGSMILE

9 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:
9 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

I think you will find that his portrait photo was taken in Britain, as his jacket is British Army pattern SD.  If I recall correctly most Canadian’s (certainly the first wave) arrived in Canadian SD, but then changed their uniforms over whilst retaining Canadian unit insignia.

as I don't have the original postcard there was no way for me to check the back side for any further info.... my copy is a reproduction and only has my uncle's name, unit number and year. "1915" visible…. most of the histories that I've been able to gather concerning family participation in the great war come second hand, though I did have the privilege of knowing my uncle Walter and of course my father...  (:     unfortunately pictures/postcards that my father had were lost in a fire long before I was born..

thanx again... I always appreciate help in piecing together the puzzle that is my family history.

ps : been trying to track down more on what happened to Squidge but as of yet, haven't come up with any leads....

Edited by Guardsman

13 hours ago, Gardenerbill said:

Isn't hammer and pincers - Artificer?

In the RFA/RGA/RHA at WOI level yes.  Armourer in AOC.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Outside my usual area of interest, but for the price it was to good not to have! 

Belgian 7de Linie-Regiment (?) with the M1889 Mauser.  Sent to Antwerp 28th June 1914. I wonder what the future held for these men?

1186893024_belgian1914.jpg.579e8c7add779af4ec3488de1d6f35e1.jpg

French postcard of David John Marshall, 9th Field Ambulance, Canadian Army Medical Corps (CAMC)   circa 1916

my wife's great-grandfather 

Davia J Marshall.jpg

Edited by Guardsman

picture postcard of David John Marshall (left) and his brother James Brinton Marshall - Royal Highlanders of Canada     Montreal circa 1914

David joined the 9th Field Ambulance, Canadian Army Medical Corps (CAMC)  /  James the 73rd Battalion (Royal Highlanders of Canada), CEF

David Marshall (left) & James Marshall.jpg

Edited by Guardsman

Regimental Sergeant Major (RSM) the most Senior Non Commissioned officer in a Regiment. Not sure of the Regiment possibly (Rough Riders) City of London yeomanry.

IMG_20190908_081055280.jpg

IMG_20190908_081105413.jpg

IMG_20190908_081118523.jpg

From British Army  Cap Badges of the First World War , P Doyle and C Foster.  City of London Yeomanry (Rough Riders) ……."perhaps because it was to large for practical use a simple bimetal collar badge  comprising white  R R superimposed on a brass spur was used in its place"

A rifleman from the the 6th battalion London Regiment.

Soldier of the Royal Engineers  possibly driver trade.

Possibly a photograph of a service battalion soldier before the issue of the regimental uniform.

IMG_20190908_080858551.jpg

IMG_20190908_081005972.jpg

IMG_20190908_080951251.jpg

1 hour ago, themonsstar said:

Two bandsman or Corps of Drums soldiers of the Bedfordshire Regiment not sure if they are twins or not.

IMG_20190908_080740335_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

Cheers Edward

They certainly look like twins to me.   Pete.

Lovely bunch of new cards, many thanks.

Regimental Sergeant Major (RSM) the most Senior Non Commissioned officer in a Regiment. Not sure of the Regiment possibly (Rough Riders) City of London yeomanry.

RSM is WO Class I and most emphatically not an NCO ................ every now and then an Army Order was issued emphasising this point. It raised its ugly head again in 1915 when WO Class II was created and again an AO was issued re. this new rank.

The two lads with bugle and fife are definitely drummers.

Hi 

Edward St, Southborough, is still standing but I thought they were all houses and not shop or studio springs to mind so perhaps someone working out of his own house located between Tonbridge and Tunbridge Wells, Kent.

On 08/09/2019 at 09:29, themonsstar said:

That is a stunner, thank you! 

David sorry I missed your post thank you for the information as alway you are a  font of knowledge. I will be telling my old RSMs next time I meet them I was the most senior non commissioned officer in the Regiment as they used to say it was them on a  regular Monday morning regimental parade. If you see me wearing a black eye and maybe swollen lips you know I got it right.

( Roy putting his head in the lions mouths) thanks.

ASC with the MkII 1903 Cartirdge Pockets and winter SD cap. 

cor blimey asc.jpg