Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

trenchtrotter

Postcards

MERLINV12

Just finished searching 280 pages of this topic, and only found 2 Coldstream Guards photos, as I am new to this era, is there any particular reason for this ??

I fully realise my search for a photo of my GF, will no doubt be fruitless, but would be nice to see how he would have looked, so if anyone has a photo of a 2nd Batt CG Private/Guardsman from 1917-18 period, it would be good to see it.

TIA.

FROGSMILE

Not necessarily 2nd Battalion, but photos of some fine Coldstream Guards, including a Victoria Cross winner (Gdsm Witham).  Includes an operational view courtesy of the Imperial War Museum.

7DB6F99E-4917-44D8-BC22-889CC020CC84.jpeg

016CAA09-2CDC-4ED6-B869-1043103A590F.jpeg

AE24F526-41CF-4AF6-B3E6-E61B551F6C9E.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

MERLINV12
10 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Not necessarily 2nd Battalion, but photos of some fine Coldstream Guards, including a Victoria Cross winner (Gdsmn Witham).  Includes an operational view courtesy of the Imperial War Museum.

Thank you very much for the photos and the fast response.

I think they are 1st Batt, from the  "I" badge on the upper arm, no doubt someone cleverer than me will confirm.

Thanks once again, appreciated.

Edited by MERLINV12

FROGSMILE
1 hour ago, MERLINV12 said:

Thank you very much for the photos and the fast response.

I think they are 1st Batt, from the  "I" badge on the upper arm, no doubt someone cleverer than me will confirm.

Thanks once again, appreciated.

Yes, the one vertical bar does indeed indicate the 1st Battalion (two and three bars being 2nd and 3rd).  I agree that by comparison there seem few images of the 2nd battalion. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

paul.pengelly

Classic thread . To which I will add my 2 photos

Seated  ; Pte Frank Pengelly  34117 ,2nd Welsh Regiment ,18/19 when he attested in April 1915

Standing ; Bombardier Sydney Pengelly 4676, 75th RFA -died 5/6/1917  (Thanks Frogsmile for the ID )

Taken somewhere in France in 1915/1916 ?

And

Seated ; Pte Frank Pengelly again ,now several years older and wiser.

Standing ;Possibly Pte Henry Pengelly 79404,ex 88th RFA ,wounded and discharged 18/10/1918

Seated right ;Possibly Leonard Pengelly my Grandfather who was too young to join his 5 older brothers in the army.

Taken somewhere in UK in 1918/19?

9B59915C-4DDB-43F6-9D6A-E7C3D416318C.jpeg

EAAD9FD4-400C-4D1E-8E3B-A71F93AF3590.jpeg

GWF1967

Trooper Joseph Mawson GS/12499, 5th (Princess of Wales's) Dragoon Guards.   "1 Troop, C Squad, South Cavalry Barracks, Aldershot".  

Enlisted. 31/8/14  -  Overseas. 24/8/15  -   ( Transferred - D/14213  - 4th (Royal Irish) Dragoon Guards). 

Discharged. 2111/18. - S.W.B. No. B/117143. 

Farrier Serjeant Major?  5th D.G.  - " Keep this for me it is one of my friends"

D. Guards (2).jpg

Dragoons.jpg

Toby Brayley

Going all the way back to post #6539 and the discussion on the odd style of Bandolier seen exclusively in use in India.  Here it is being worn, again by the R.A in India, 1913.

625401951_IndiaRABandolier.jpg.7ed2b612447e20840b03d94cec31e59c.jpg

FROGSMILE
On 17/09/2019 at 22:44, GWF1967 said:

Trooper Joseph Mawson GS/12499, 5th (Princess of Wales's) Dragoon Guards.   "1 Troop, C Squad, South Cavalry Barracks, Aldershot".  

Enlisted. 31/8/14  -  Overseas. 24/8/15  -   ( Transferred - D/14213  - 4th (Royal Irish) Dragoon Guards). 

Discharged. 2111/18. - S.W.B. No. B/117143. 

Farrier Serjeant Major?  5th D.G.  - " Keep this for me it is one of my friends"

I think he’s a Farrier Quartermaster Sergeant.  There was just one ‘Farrier Major’ as he was called in the regiment and he was a warrant officer if I recall correctly.

CorporalPunishment
29 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

I think he’s a Farrier Quartermaster Sergeant.  There was just one ‘Farrier Major’ as he was called in the regiment and he was a warrant officer if I recall correctly.

AVC attached to 5th DG.  Pete.

FROGSMILE
1 minute ago, CorporalPunishment said:

Good spot Pete.  I suppose it depends on date to a degree (pre or post 1915), but presumably that must make him a Farrier Staff Sergeant.

GWF1967
7 hours ago, CorporalPunishment said:

7 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Good spot Pete.  I suppose it depends on date to a degree (pre or post 1915), but presumably that must make him a Farrier Staff Sergeant.

Thank you kindly.

Tomb1302

@GreyC and any other German translators, could anyone help me translate this?

I want to know if the man who wrote this would have been involved or present with the depiction on the postcard itself, as, I've just learnt, unfortunately, that it is a commercial or stock photo.

Thanks.

Screen Shot 2019-09-19 at 4.09.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-09-19 at 4.10.42 PM.png

GreyC

Hi,

it´s from father to daughter. He tells her that it is very cold at where he is and if it were as cold in Germany then she could do a bit of ice-skating.

Though he writes to his daughter in Thuringa/Thüringen, his unit LIR 83 (Landwehr Infanterie-Regiment 83, he was 12. Coy) was based in Kassel.

Were you able to read German they even issued a regimental history after the war:

Schulz, H (1936). Landwehr-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 83. Kassel: Verband L.I.R.83. (431 Seiten, 9 Karten, 6 Skizzen und 97 Abbildungen)

Although it does have an order number scratched in the glass-negative I don´t believe that this photo was taken by a commercial photographer. Lots of regiments and divisions had a photo-department that not only did reconaissance-work or the like, but took loads of photos that where then sold to the members of the regiment or other units or were taken to be used in regimental histories to come, for example. With the proceeds familiy-members of soldiers KIA were supported or other charitable causes pursued. So the photo in question will have been made available to a limited number of interested soldiers, all hand printed. It is very well possible that Gefreiter Möller is one of the German guards next to the French POWs

Best,

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

Tomb1302

As always @GreyC, thanks for the translation.

I can rest assuming this isn't a commercial photograph printed thousands of times?

GreyC

In mho, yes. Hundreds maybe (more likely hundred), thousands no. If commercially more ambitious, they would have labeled the reverse with a copyright note.

GreyC

Two of the French POWs are "labeled" could be labels that indicate "walking wounded".

Edited by GreyC

Tomb1302

@GreyC thank you.

I worried it would be an emotionless commercial postcard with little sentimental value.

Pat Atkins

Is there any - simple - way of ascertaining Gefreiter Möller's fate, whether he survived the war? I sometimes look up British servicemen who appear on this thread out of interest (and respect), but I wouldn't know where to start with a German soldier.

Cheers, Pat

GreyC

Pat,

in this particular case, if KIA he might be included in a list in their regimental history. Other than that: no. It´s like trying to recreate the biography of a British soldier by the name of Jones with no other info than that of his surname and unit, with no unit documents surviving (burnt April 1945). Different story with Bavarian soldiers in a Bavarian unit. If you have a full name you will find him in the lists that survived and are digitized by Ancestry. Saxon´s with a lot of luck, if unit is known, Wurttemberg officers maybe.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

Jerry B

south wales borderers with pale collar and cuffs, which was only used for a short period of time (1881-1905), but also with a sidecap, interesting

swb pc sept 2019 wm.jpg

themonsstar

Two postcards, groups from the Manchesters.

One from the 7th Bn with the Fleur-de-lis cap badge the other an unknown.

IMG_20190921_101013034.jpg

IMG_20190921_100929826.jpg

Tomb1302
3 hours ago, Pat Atkins said:

Is there any - simple - way of ascertaining Gefreiter Möller's fate, whether he survived the war? I sometimes look up British servicemen who appear on this thread out of interest (and respect), but I wouldn't know where to start with a German soldier.

Cheers, Pat

An interesting thought Pat. My only experiences with looking up German soldiers (and finding results) has been in the case of wounds/injuries, or KIA.

themonsstar

2946 Frank Edmund Bell.

2/4 Bn The Lincolnshire Regt

Died 6th May 1917

Age 21

Son of Frank & Julie Bell

IMG_20190921_101035771.jpg

themonsstar

This one is from 1912 when the 4th Bn The Rifle Brigade where in the Khartoum, Sudan. Two of the officer's were killed in action in WW1, Capt Somerset Arthur Sheraton MC, 2nd Bn RB,  age 35, twice MID. K in A 9th May 1915.

Capt Miles Bury Selby-Smyth  4th Bn RB, age 30, K in A 15th March 1915.

Lt (Hon) Morgan-Grenville DSO,MC Lt Col.

IMG_20190921_100614841.jpg

Muerrisch

Interesting that a company Lt was married ...................... the saying [not the rules] was

"subalterns may not marry, captains should not marry, majors may marry, colonels should marry"

I believe that officers under 25 years needed the COs permission, and that this attitude to young marriage persisted in the RAF until very recently.

paul.pengelly

I submitted the two photo’s on page 7005 of Pte Frank Pengelly and some of his brothers ,in the second one the man in civvies standing has a badge on his right breast could it be military.? .Trying to narrow down which brother it could have been .

The broach /medal appears to be oblong with a circle overlaid , was the Silver war badge just a circular badge worn on its own?.

I would have thought that they had their “best” clothes on for such an important event and if he was entitled to a SWB or any military related item he would have worn it with pride .

Any ideas?