Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

Not sure if these four are training reserve or a Pals Bn as most of their cap badges look like buttons.

The second picture is a group of  medics not sure if it's pre or post WW1

image.jpg

IMG_20190921_101147453.jpg

The lads with button cap badges are definitely Training Reserve from the time between both periods when regimental cap badges were used.

This postcard is from India possibly the North West Frontier or thereabouts around 1900 I seem to remember it getting posted years ago or one very similar to it.

IMG_20190921_100526056.jpg

IMG_20190921_100508024.jpg

IMG_20190921_100532886.jpg

IMG_20190921_100559897_HDR.jpg

Other then it being a cavalry unit I do not have a clue, I didn't even know what country it is. I thought of cap badge may have been French.

IMG_20190921_100905212.jpg

8 hours ago, paul.pengelly said:

I submitted the two photo’s on page 7005 of Pte Frank Pengelly and some of his brothers ,in the second one the man in civvies standing has a badge on his right breast could it be military.? .Trying to narrow down which brother it could have been .

The broach /medal appears to be oblong with a circle overlaid , was the Silver war badge just a circular badge worn on its own?.

I would have thought that they had their “best” clothes on for such an important event and if he was entitled to a SWB or any military related item he would have worn it with pride .

Any ideas?

It is the Silver War Badge with a cloth backing of some sort.  Pete.

14 hours ago, GreyC said:

Pat,

in this particular case, if KIA he might be included in a list in their regimental history. Other than that: no. It´s like trying to recreate the biography of a British soldier by the name of Jones with no other info than that of his surname and unit, with no unit documents surviving (burnt April 1945). Different story with Bavarian soldiers in a Bavarian unit. If you have a full name you will find him in the lists that survived and are digitized by Ancestry. Saxon´s with a lot of luck, if unit is known, Wurttemberg officers maybe.

GreyC

I thought this might be the case - ah, well. Thanks for the (interesting) responses, GreyC and Tomb1302. These postcards do make you wonder though.

Cheers, Pat

51 minutes ago, Pat Atkins said:

These postcards do make you wonder though.

That they do. Truly wondrous.

12 hours ago, themonsstar said:

Other then it being a cavalry unit I do not have a clue, I didn't even know what country it is. I thought of cap badge may have been French.

IMG_20190921_100905212.jpg

A quick Google search of Imperial Eagles shows Russian and Austrian are double headed, French have a single head pointing right but Prussian has a single head pointing left. 

20 hours ago, paul.pengelly said:

I submitted the two photo’s on page 7005 of Pte Frank Pengelly and some of his brothers ,in the second one the man in civvies standing has a badge on his right breast could it be military.? .Trying to narrow down which brother it could have been .

The broach /medal appears to be oblong with a circle overlaid , was the Silver war badge just a circular badge worn on its own?.

I would have thought that they had their “best” clothes on for such an important event and if he was entitled to a SWB or any military related item he would have worn it with pride .

Any ideas?

Thanks for the reply Pete in #7031 that “it is a SWB with a cloth backing of some sort” .

Means at long last I can identify him as ex Pte Henry Charles Pengelly 79404,injured June 1918,discharged Oct 1918 with a metal plate inserted into his head ,or a piece of shrapnel still in his head family rumours were never clear on that!

It was what I hoped but could find no pictures or information  showing anything similar,I suppose that as he was no longer in the Army he could wear it how he liked without fear of recriminations.

12 hours ago, paul.pengelly said:

Thanks for the reply Pete in #7031 that “it is a SWB with a cloth backing of some sort” .

Means at long last I can identify him as ex Pte Henry Charles Pengelly 79404,injured June 1918,discharged Oct 1918 with a metal plate inserted into his head ,or a piece of shrapnel still in his head family rumours were never clear on that!

It was what I hoped but could find no pictures or information  showing anything similar,I suppose that as he was no longer in the Army he could wear it how he liked without fear of recriminations.

Glad to help. My old Great Grandfather apparently always wore his Silver War Badge upside down for some reason, bit of a comedian I suppose.   Pete.

On 22/09/2019 at 08:34, Gardenerbill said:

A quick Google search of Imperial Eagles shows Russian and Austrian are double headed, French have a single head pointing right but Prussian has a single head pointing left. 

I have to admit that this one has me stumped. They are certainly French (although later than my normal Napoleon 1st period of interest), but having the plate on the colback (headgear) is something I've not seen before. The plate dates it to the period 1852, and as it doesn't have a crown, is usually (although not always) an indication that it is part of the Garde Nationale. I think from the style that they are hussars rather than Chasseur a Cheval - the frogging on the pelisse (over jacket) is certainly that of Hussars, but at this period, the frogging on the dolman (jacket) is less dense and compacted than is normally the case.

The last thing that is unusual is the sword. French cavalry trooper's swords right up to the 1880 usually have a three banded guard. The guards in the photo appear fuller, with some ornamental work.

Way of topic for the GWF, but I'd love to have a more definitive answer. Attached is a plate from my own collection.

Cheers,

Richard

French plate.JPG

Re the French Hussars: I appreciate it's probably the print or somesuch, but - it almost looks like some of them are wearing makeup? Centre and centre-left, standing, and left, seated?

Edit: after a gaffe in another thread, I'm hoping this isn't another sign of my ignorance of the obvious...

Edited by Pat Atkins
sudden doubt

I would very much agree they are wearing makeup, also the busbies, Busby bags and plumes (aside from the Eagle) are very British, I am leaning towards theatrical or a tattoo. 

Late War R.F.A.  "Carte Postale"  Several sets of Overseas Chevrons on display.

R.A. Groups... (7).jpg

On 26/09/2019 at 19:32, Toby Brayley said:

I would very much agree they are wearing makeup, also the busbies, Busby bags and plumes (aside from the Eagle) are very British, I am leaning towards theatrical or a tattoo. 

As per our conversation earlier, I'm now inclined to think it is something like that - Maybe a production of the Prisoner of Zenda or something similarly Ruritanian - after all, here are the Military Foot Police in 1928 (they were used as extras in a film of War and Peace  shot in Long Valley, Aldershot).

Cheers,

Richard

Military Police as extras in War and Peace filmed in Long Valley Aldershot .jpg

3 hours ago, Provost said:

Military Foot Police in 1928 (they were used as extras in a film of War and Peace  shot in Long Valley, Aldershot).

Cheers,

Richard

Brilliant photograph! 

A new arrival, rather chilling.....

Shipmates aboard the Cruiser HMS Black Prince. The postmark on the rear is dated 1st June 1916, the very day she was blow to pieces at Jutland with the loss of all hands.

1946776593_HMSBlackPrinceJune1st1916.jpg.230c2a4c096e1d1357d92f3ab3ea2f2c.jpg 

1228264475_HMSBlackPrinceJune1st19162.jpg.99f0f77db3042661a6bf1e3752aaf82c.jpg

46 minutes ago, Toby Brayley said:

Shipmates aboard the Cruiser HMS Black Prince. The postmark on the rear is dated 1st June 1916, the very day she was blow to pieces at Jutland with the loss of all hands.

Very poignant, thank you for posting it.  I was reading only a short time ago that the calculated average age of the crew on the capital ships was 22, which surprised me.

Edited by FROGSMILE

2 hours ago, Toby Brayley said:

1946776593_HMSBlackPrinceJune1st1916.jpg.230c2a4c096e1d1357d92f3ab3ea2f2c.jpg 

One of mine, which was taken aboard her. (Dated March 1915)

atseaf.jpg

On 27/09/2019 at 17:58, GWF1967 said:

Late War R.F.A.  "Carte Postale"  Several sets of Overseas Chevrons on display.

R.A. Groups... (7).jpg

they all have the look of seasoned veterans

8 hours ago, Toby Brayley said:

Do you know who "Will" was?  I can see that the letter was written to the wife of Henry Villa, who appears to have been on board HMS Canterbury at the time (presumably the Harry mentioned?)

Henry did have a brother called William but he was killed with the RFA in March 1917 and I can't see anyone on Lizzie's side. Sadly, there were around 140 Williams killed on Black Prince.