Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

On 18/03/2019 at 17:55, Fromelles said:

One of my favorites, great pose, great detail.

A kiwi of the 3rd (Auckland) Regiment, wearing the early pattern Service Dress tunic with the red piping of the Infantry. 

The rear of the photo, written in Biro, is what I believe to be - 

"Cook"

Family photo

ref

Sinclaires &

Cooks

I'm supposing Cook is this man's surname, but I cannot be certain of the preceding 'Sinclaire' name. 

Any thoughts appreciated

Dan

3rd (Auck) Regiment NZ Infantry.jpg

NZ.jpg

Maybe it's this chap ? Ernest John Marshall Cook

http://www.aucklandmuseum.com/war-memorial/online-cenotaph/record/C3061

R.A.M.C. Football Team.

Lewisham Military Hospital. + Wounded and Nurses.

R.A.M.C. .jpg

Scan0010 (4).jpg

XXXVVVc (5).jpg

Blimey, I was born there. I didn’t know it had a military role in WW1.  Thanks for posting.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Is that the same as Lewisham General? If so, I was born there too ...

10 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Blimey, I was born there. I didn’t know it had a military role in WW1.  Thanks for posting.

9 hours ago, seaJane said:

Glad to be in on the reunion  🤗  

The site of Lewisham Workhouse, became the Military Hospital during the Great War, struck by a V1 during WW2, now named University Hospital. 

9 hours ago, seaJane said:

Yes, I think so.  Good to see I’m in such good company :)

Just now, GWF1967 said:

Glad to be in on the reunion  🤗  

The site of Lewisham Workhouse, became the Military Hospital during the Great War, struck by a V1 during WW2, now named University Hospital. 

Is the ‘university’ what was Lewisham General?

2 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Yes, I think so.  Good to see I’m in such good company :)

Is the ‘university’ what was Lewisham General?

I believe so;   A memorial was made from the original gate post when the site was redeveloped, and later re-dedicated as part of a memorial garden next to the University Hospital. 

1 hour ago, GWF1967 said:

I believe so;   A memorial was made from the original gate post when the site was redeveloped, and later re-dedicated as part of a memorial garden next to the University Hospital. 

Thank you, that’s interesting.  I think that a blue plaque should be erected saying: Sea Jane was born here!

10 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Thank you, that’s interesting.  I think that a blue plaque should be erected saying: Sea Jane was born here!

And the rest of you! I don't reckon I'm famous enough for a blue plaque yet ...

1 hour ago, seaJane said:

And the rest of you! I don't reckon I'm famous enough for a blue plaque yet ...

Such modesty ;)

Eejit :wub:

On 17/03/2019 at 09:23, Fromelles said:

Bandolier is interesting, any ideas?

British Soldier - Photographer J. David - Jhansi, India.jpg

Another shot of the same Bandolier in use in India, again with the R.A. The only images I have seen of it in use have been in India and with the R.A. 

258803619_RAIndiabandolier.jpg.3518ae1b045f6212b3ab8ed7b476888c.jpg

1420479433_RAIndiabandolier2.jpg.cbe3998459d380be2a8ff821b2d2bd69.jpg

Edited by Toby Brayley

Perhaps a variant of the 1901 patt leather bandolier that for a short time preceded the 1903 pattern.  It had 5 and 6 pouch versions and was notable in having square rather than tapered pouches.  In India the Army Department leather factory was at Kanpur (Cawnpore), where a number of items of equipment that varied from the home pattern were produced and issued.

Edited by FROGSMILE

I also am pretty certain it is a locally produced variant unique to india. I wonder what purpose that central pocket serves?

It does look like a larger 1901 (land, rather than the naval 1901 bandolier that had pockets as the later Army 1903) bandolier but larger and for chargers  for chargers. 

For those interested I have a comparison of the early bandoliers 1889, 1901, 1903 etc here. Hopefully oneday we can add the above! 

Regards

Toby 

Edited by Toby Brayley

Yes I suspect that it was a simple modification of the 1901 pattern with larger pouches and no holes at the bottom of them. Perhaps the central pocket had a cleaning kit, or some spare charger clips.

Edited by FROGSMILE

R.A.F.  - 8/8/18   +  Post War Honours.

XXXVVVc (3).jpg

XXXVVVc (4).jpg

5 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=aa765089105ca315R.A.F.  - imageproxy.php?img=&key=aa765089105ca315imageproxy.php?img=&key=aa765089105ca315imageproxy.php?img=&key=aa765089105ca3158/8/18   +  Post War Honours.

XXXVVVc (3).jpg

XXXVVVc (4).jpg

Love these postcards, a couple of non RAF cap badges on the 1st photo, chap seated 2nd from left is that Royal Fusiliers, Officers KOSB? And RF?

Chris

10 minutes ago, Dragoon said:

Love these postcards, a couple of non RAF cap badges on the 1st photo, chap seated 2nd from left is that Royal Fusiliers, Officers KOSB? And RF?

Chris

Yes,  R.F.O/R with black buttons, and R.F Officer; KSOB looks good for the other man.

2 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Yes,  R.F.O/R with black buttons, and R.F Officer; KSOB looks good for the other man.

Ah yes, good spot on the black buttons.

Only one maternity jacket in sight also.

Interesting the officers still wearing their original badges etc, I know they did that in the RFC not when they became RAF.

An interesting postcard indeed, thank you for sharing 

Chris

For a short period the RAF retained the RFC system (that wasn’t used by the RNAS) of having a nucleus of RFC/RAF badged officer aircrew, plus a large number of regimentally badged (i.e. Army) pilots serving ‘operational flying tours’ after qualifying, but with the option of eventually returning to their parent unit.  Very much an Army cultural system of working, it is still followed by the present day Army Air Corps.

Edited by FROGSMILE

5 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

For a short period the RAF retained the RFC system (that wasn’t used by the RNAS) of having a nucleus of RFC/RAF badged officer aircrew, plus a large number of regimentally badged (i.e. Army) pilots serving ‘operational flying tours’ after qualifying, but with the option of eventually returning to their parent unit.  Very much an Army cultural system of working, it is still followed by the present day Army Air Corps.

Cheers for that FROGSMILE, the two Officers don't have flying wings though,did the Regimentally  badged Officers have other posts other than pilots, hence no wings

Chris

1 hour ago, Dragoon said:

Cheers for that FROGSMILE, the two Officers don't have flying wings though,did the Regimentally  badged Officers have other posts other than pilots, hence no wings

Chris

Yes, although I can’t be categoric about what those roles were.  I imagine that unit staff officers such as Adjutant and Quartermaster were the most likely, as there was no need for such appointments to be qualified aircrew.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank you again FROGSMILE.

Chris