Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

Here is my Grandfather RGJ Dee (middle.Rear) with fellow Pals of the 2/4th Btn,Buffs.Somewhere in Kent ( poss nr Ashford) Spring/summer 1917.They went to France Sept that year.

5D2AF204-5DE9-4792-8B71-93F9F0BD9CC0.jpeg

Here is a London Scottish group photo recently purchased. Was titled WW1, but I though a lot later, however, there are several wound stripes and overseas service chevrons visible. I suspect immediately post-war. 

Some nice details under magnification of the officers and NCOs.

Scott

London Scottish 1.JPG

London Scottish 2.JPG

London Scottish 3.JPG

6 minutes ago, Waddell said:

Here is a London Scottish group photo recently purchased. Was titled WW1, but I though a lot later, however, there are several wound stripes and overseas service chevrons visible. I suspect immediately post-war. 

Scott

London Scottish 2.JPG

London Scottish 3.JPG

Hello there,

It’s a little hard to tell, but I think they may be wearing the inverted red triangle insignia of the 1st battalion. If this is so, it must be from around 1918-19, as you were saying. 

Regards,

Chris

It’s probably a post Armistice ‘thank God we’ve survived’ photo, they were, understandably, quite popular and common.

15 hours ago, Jools mckenna said:

Lewis.jpeg.jpg

I know war and responsibilities can age a man, but he died at 20. So maybe slightly less grey hair and 'stache? Otherwise, nice job! 

/Dan

Edited by Beechhill

5 hours ago, Waddell said:

Scott

London Scottish 1.JPG

London Scottish 2.JPG

London Scottish 3.JPG

A few appear to be wearing the ribbon of the 1914 Star so they would be 1st Battalion. The 1914 Star was introduced in April 1917 and the 1914-15 Star was introduced in December 1918 so I would date the photo between those two dates. Most likely, as Frogsmile suggests, shortly after the Armistice. After December 1918 there would most likely be several more men wearing the ribbon of the 1914-15 Star so the photo would have been taken before that date.   Pete.

1 hour ago, Beechhill said:

I know war and responsibilities can age a man, but he died at 20. So maybe slightly less grey hair and 'stache? Otherwise, nice job! 

/Dan

The hair was my concern as well, I might try a more brown colour.

4 hours ago, Beechhill said:

/Dan

With the corrections. 

Lewis.jpeg.jpg

Edited by Jools mckenna

16 hours ago, CorporalPunishment said:

A few appear to be wearing the ribbon of the 1914 Star so they would be 1st Battalion.

Quite a few men transferred from the 1st to the 2nd Battalion so this is not necessarily determining. For example, Charles Train VC. I think the patch is the clincher in this case. 

The 1914 Star was introduced in April 1917 and the 1914-15 Star was introduced in December 1918 so I would date the photo between those two dates. Most likely, as Frogsmile suggests, shortly after the Armistice. After December 1918 there would most likely be several more men wearing the ribbon of the 1914-15 Star so the photo would have been taken before that date.  

How can you tell the difference between the two ribbons in photographs?

All this is not to say that I disagree with the dates suggested, I said 1918-19 myself. I meant the end period. 

I think survivors photograph is the most likely, as Frogsmile suggests. However, I would add that I have studied a lot of photographs of the London Regiment with this insignia, and it starts to appear with far more frequency from August to November 1918. Then it comes up quite a lot in photographs of men serving into 1919. Whilst I think a survivors photograph is most likely, I don’t see why you can completely rule out early 1919. It is probably a moot point as I imagine that a photograph taken at such a date can still count as such.

Chris

Edited by Drew-1918
Typo

14 hours ago, Jools mckenna said:

With the corrections. 

[photo] 

Nice! 

The wound stripe/thousand yard stare combo still has a horrible air of premonition though. 

/Dan 

8 hours ago, Drew-1918 said:

All this is not to say that I disagree with the dates suggested, I said 1918-19 myself. I meant the end period. 

I think survivors photograph is the most likely, as Frogsmile suggests. However, I would add that I have studied a lot of photographs of the London Regiment with this insignia, and it starts to appear with far more frequency from August to November 1918. Then it comes up quite a lot in photographs of men serving into 1919. Whilst I think a survivors photograph is most likely, I don’t see why you can completely rule out early 1919. It is probably a moot point as I imagine that a photograph taken at such a date can still count as such.

Chris

Drew, you can't tell the difference in the medal ribbons as they are identical. Only after October 1919 is there any difference and then only if the rose representing the "5th Aug.-22nd. Nov. 1914" clasp has been added. I base my opinion on the very small number being worn in the photo as I think that if it were taken after December 1918 and the introduction of the 1914-15 Star then many more of the men would be wearing the ribbon. Just a thought.   Pete.

Hello good people of the forum.

I've been meaning to share this postcard with you for a while but have never got round to til now.

I call it my ONE IN A MILLION postcard, and there is a reason for that.

A few years ago i was scanning through Ebay, i very often do at the photographs etc, and i put in my Great Grandfathers regiment, the Yorkshire Dragoons, and the first item listed was this postcard, looking at me was my Great Grandfather, i had to take a second, third etc look at it, it was 100% him, i have many photos of him and i could not believe it!

I bid, and won, thank goodness.

He is the chap on the left, William Walker, I've a couple of threads on the forum with regards to him.

His line regiment was the 3rd Dragoon Guards, he went to the Yorkshire Dragoons in 1910 as a SSM instructor, he became RSM in 1914 and was then commissioned also in 1914.

He, like all the instructors and RSM here, wear the uniforms and insignia of the Yorkshire Dragoons, my GG has the Blacked brass rose and crown badge, the RSM (middle) the bronze rose and crown badge, and the two SSM's on the right the Brass crown and White metal rose and crown badge.

My GG hasn't for some reason got his medal ribbons (SA Queens, and LSGC ) on his jacket, no idea why, he also has large YD separate letters shoulder titles that I've seen on a few photo's before. Taken around 1910/1912 i think.

Hope you enjoy the postcard,

cheers

Chris 

img001.jpg

Edited by Dragoon

5 minutes ago, Dragoon said:

Hello good people of the forum.

I've been meaning to share this postcard with you for a while but have never got round to til now.

What a great find!

1 minute ago, Jools mckenna said:

What a great find!

I know, I still can't believe it sometimes even now!

2 hours ago, Dragoon said:

I know, I still can't believe it sometimes even now!

A fantastic find;   did you get the urge to rush out and buy a lottery ticket?

I regularly check through cards on eBay looking at faces and have found new pictures of men I've previously researched, and duplicates of a few cards I own. 

13 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

A fantastic find;   did you get the urge to rush out and buy a lottery ticket?

I missed a trick with the lottery ticket! Ha ha

Yes, there are some good photos on there, some I've bid on and annoyingly lost, but you can't have it all.

Cheers

Chris

Hello all. 

As always, watch this thread with great interest. Thanks to all that have contributed.

Keep it coming.

Regards.

Gary.

5 hours ago, Dragoon said:

img001.jpg

Chris,

What an amazing find! Thank you for sharing. From my perspective it is doubly interesting as it is the only picture I have seen of the Y.D frock (without the white collar detail). I recently aquired a similar  one, along with the complete full dress and have been searching for images of it in use! 

Regards

Toby 

20190328_214009.jpg

20190328_213944.jpg

Edited by Toby Brayley

5 minutes ago, Toby Brayley said:

Chris,

What an amazing find! Thank you for sharing. From my perspective it is doubly interesting as it is the only picture I have seen of the Y.D frock (without the white collar detail). I recently aquired a similar  one, along with the complete full dress and have been searching for images of it in use! 

Glad it is of use to you Tony, and a big thank you for the images of the YD uniforms, fantastic!

We have my Great Grandfather's helmet and it's container, it's the helmet plate with the Yorkshire Dragoons scroll at the bottom, late Edwardian I believe??

We also have his sword and various sword knots and belt attachments , and a few other bits and bobs.

Cheers

Chris

Four YD in the photo have, as far as I can tell, a rank/appointment badge of four chevrons with crown above. I have little knowledge of Yeomanry badges ....... are these men regular TSMs appointed acting regimental SMs please?  I think not, but the infantry analogy that springs to my mid is colour sergeants appointed ARSM of a VF/ TF unit.

Or are we in a regimental peculiarity situation?

24 minutes ago, Toby Brayley said:

Quick question, not related to post cards, what kind of places are best for finding ww1 tunics/jackets? (I assume auctions)

34 minutes ago, Muerrisch said:

Four YD in the photo have, as far as I can tell, a rank/appointment badge of four chevrons with crown above. I have little knowledge of Yeomanry badges ....... are these men regular TSMs appointed acting regimental SMs please?  I think not, but the infantry analogy that springs to my mid is colour sergeants appointed ARSM of a VF/ TF unit.

Or are we in a regimental peculiarity situation?

Yes, these are regular soldiers, Sergeant Majors in charge of each Squadron.

My GG line regiment was the 3rd Dragoon Guards,he was SSM of D Sqn Huddersfield ,   the SSM's normally wore the uniforms and insignia of the Yeomanry they were attached to.

The four chevrons and crown above were the rank of the Sergeant Majors, RSM's before 1914 wore just the crown, I do have the name of the RSM somewhere, his line regiment was the Life Guards.

Hope this helps

Chris

Edited by Dragoon

16 hours ago, CorporalPunishment said:

Drew, you can't tell the difference in the medal ribbons as they are identical. Only after October 1919 is there any difference and then only if the rose representing the "5th Aug.-22nd. Nov. 1914" clasp has been added. I base my opinion on the very small number being worn in the photo as I think that if it were taken after December 1918 and the introduction of the 1914-15 Star then many more of the men would be wearing the ribbon. Just a thought.   Pete.

Thanks for clarifying your thinking on this point. 

Chris