The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

Manchester Regiment cadet drummers Aug 1914

Mancs Drummers 1913.jpg

Dear GWF aficionados,

Very early AIF.

2nd Lt W. F. Lindsay, 53rd Bn AIF (later, Capt., MC). 5afc7bb66ef9f_1915LieutW.F.LindsaywithMilitiacapBadgeTrginAustralia.jpg.1f0cfb4636ae54a1a4255cb6c2ff4840.jpg.09bd341d8511ff46079fa347230ab189.jpg

Kindest regards,

Kim.

4 hours ago, Toby Brayley said:

Very interesting photo, Toby.  Rather too many of those in the ranks look quite a bit too old to be ‘cadets’, I wonder if the corps was bolstered for the photo.

Incidentally I have yet to see a comprehensive list of WW1 cadet battalions collated from official records and Army Lists.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Only front rank badged as drummers, 2nd rank seem supernumerary ..... no sign of an instrument [I would be looking for fifes] 3rd and 4th with bugles worn variously. Not enough bugles for the drummers, seemingly.

I agree with Frogsmile, this looks very ad hoc.

Unkown TF RAMC unit, some 2nd Boer War Veterans in there. 

Wartime TF RAMC.jpg

Several of the men in the front row are wearing 'shoes canvas PT' that were generally worn when off duty under canvas as well as for their primary use, they were of course light and comfortable compared with the heavy studded boots.  It's quite extraordinary to think that these continued to be issued until the very early 1980s.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Lance Corporal with a Military Medal of the 2nd Scottish Rifles.  As well, here is a shot of the 2nd Scottish Rifle's battle flash. One is from this Rifleman, the other is from Private George Gould, who was killed at 3rd Ypres. On the bottom is an original example housed in the Low Parks Museum, Hamilton.

Scan_20181128.jpg

2ndSR.png

At this season of Goodwill I want to express my sincere thanks to the many contributors to this fine thread.

For me and many it is the part of the forum [together with "shoulders and insignia] most visited and treasured.

Thank you.

And best wishes for the season to you too Grumpy. I post rarely nowadays but enjoy lurking and reading this forum and in particular this thread. Always learning and always eager to find out what that odd little patch is on someone's uniform.

I too lurk the aforementioned threads, as I have not the background knowledge to contribute it is a continual learning experience.

Thank you to the posters who share their images and knowledge.

Cheers,,
Derek.

13 hours ago, Muerrisch said:

At this season of Goodwill I want to express my sincere thanks to the many contributors to this fine thread.

For me and many it is the part of the forum [together with "shoulders and insignia] most visited and treasured.

Thank you.

Many thanks for sharing your knowledge; I post and learn.

" Dinner in Hut D6  B Company  13th R.W.F "

Scan_20181220 (4).jpg

Dear GWF aficionados,

Very early AIF.

2nd Lt W. F. Lindsay, 53rd Bn AIF (later, Capt., MC). 5afc7baa71be1_19142LtW.F.Lindsayand41BnMiltiatroopsguardingLithgowSAFactory.jpg.67219a36d47b249168c7ecf80a76ccc3.jpg.e2509f170f7dbdb9d41685be269c9d33.jpg

Kindest regards,

Kim.

6 minutes ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

Dear GWF aficionados,

Very early AIF.

2nd Lt W. F. Lindsay, 53rd Bn AIF (later, Capt., MC). 5afc7baa71be1_19142LtW.F.Lindsayand41BnMiltiatroopsguardingLithgowSAFactory.jpg.67219a36d47b249168c7ecf80a76ccc3.jpg.e2509f170f7dbdb9d41685be269c9d33.jpg

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Cracking detail Kim.

Dear GWF1967,

Thanks for your kind words: much appreciated!

The small band of troops were actually a detachment of the 41st Infantry Regiment Citizen Military Force), commanded by Second Lieutenant William Frederic Lindsay. In 1914 they had been sent to guard the Small Arms Factory at Lithgow, NSW. 

2Lt Lindsay, and probably most of the Diggers shown, volunteered for the AIF (Australian Imperial Force). He was promoted to Lieutenant on 1 July 1915. On 16 March 1916 he was appointed as Lieutenant5afc7d597e55c_53rdBn6threinforce.thumb.jpg.cd4a24ec21a075cb79dda707a1dd6741.jpg.43be80092a3cc50db0319ed79301966c.jpg in the AIF (from CMF commission) and posted to the 53rd Battalion. 

In command of the 6th Reinforcements for 53rd Battalion, he sailed on the troopship "Ceramic", arriving in England on 21 November 1916. He crossed over to France on 2 February 1917.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

An ex-ranker Officer wearing the Order of the British Empire (OBE) Military Cross(MC), 1914-15 Star Trio,Army Long Service & Good Conduct Medal (LSGC), Meritorious Service Medal (MSM) (looks like) the French Legion of Honor.

PCNo5.JPG

PCNo6.JPG

Hello all.

September 2010, what a thread.

Thanks to all that continue to contribute and make this thread one of the best on the site for me, really enjoy.

Many thanks.

Gary.

Oxs and Bucks with an unsual Regimental Police Armlet (?) RPC. 

20181222_143121.jpg

15 minutes ago, Toby Brayley said:

Oxs and Bucks with an unsual Regimental Police Armlet (?) RPC. 

Not ‘RPC’ Toby, but RP and PC, standing for Regimental Police, and Provost Corporal, respectively.  That was still common usage in the infantry during my service and quite possibly still is. The PC could be either a Lance, or Full Corporal, the latter usually if an old soldier.  Enlightened units rotated NCOs through the regimental police duties in peacetime, but in War other priorities often took precedence and it might be a billet for a good man unfit in some way for other duties.

Edited by FROGSMILE

3 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Not ‘RPC’ Toby, but RP and PC, standing for Regimental Police, and Provost Corporal, respectively.  That was still common usage in the infantry during my service and quite possibly still is. The PC could be either a Lance, or Full Corporal.

Superb thank you!  I will add this to the Brassard/Armlet thread with your info. 

Cheers

Toby 

3 minutes ago, Toby Brayley said:

Superb thank you!  I will add this to the Brassard/Armlet thread with your info. 

Cheers

Toby 

Glad to help.  They have rather flimsy canes, in many units a stout walking cane was more usual and seen as a quasi badge of office.

Edited by FROGSMILE

A new addition, just post war, so outside my usual area of interest. 

What caught my eye was this Middlesex P.T.I's heavily modified Service Dress....  with yellow cuff facings and collar! 

20181224_140549.jpg

Very unusual Toby.  Another example of scalloped pocket flaps, converted by the tailor, too.  A classic example of attempts to smarten up service dress.

Edited by FROGSMILE