Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

What a fantastic informal group Jools, they must have been on leave in Cairo, no hats and top buttons undone, you so rarely see men looking so relaxed.

1 hour ago, Gardenerbill said:

What a fantastic informal group Jools, they must have been on leave in Cairo, no hats and top buttons undone, you so rarely see men looking so relaxed.

Thanks Mark, but I've got a better informal postcard (in my opinion) which I'll be posting tomorrow

1 hour ago, squirrel said:

Top left is wearing a Drummer's badge.

Thanks and I did notice that as I have one.

Edited by Jools mckenna

I must admit, the United States isn't quite as rich in First World War relics as the U.K. I hope that my trip to France this summer will see me find some 'treasures' of my own to add to my collection and, subsequently preserve.

Does anyone know any good WWI 'antique' stores or collectors in the Texas area? That's where I'm studying at the moment.

1 hour ago, Tomb1302 said:

I must admit, the United States isn't quite as rich in First World War relics as the U.K. I hope that my trip to France this summer will see me find some 'treasures' of my own to add to my collection and, subsequently preserve.

Does anyone know any good WWI 'antique' stores or collectors in the Texas area? That's where I'm studying at the moment.

"WW1 antiques Texas"  throws up a few starters.

East Surrey Regiment.

" Paddy & Roland two rum nuts which you cannot Crack".

Paddy sports a Lyre badge and 2 overseas chevrons, Roland a good conduct stripe and two wound stripes, showing that someone has tried to crack his nut!

Scan_20181223.jpg

1 hour ago, GWF1967 said:

"WW1 antiques Texas"  throws up a few starters.

Thank you, but I have already tried "WWI Texas antiques". I was hoping someone local would have good connections.

Seems the States just isn't the place.

Edited by Tomb1302

Men from the Royal Warwickshire, Chester(?), Manchester and Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry regiments. A fair amount of wound badges amongst them.1761560664_WarwickshireChester(2).jpg.404dedea7f53938a3def83a633f1168b.jpg

7 hours ago, Gardenerbill said:

Hi @Tomb1302 one of you fellow countryman @bif might be able to help.

Hello @Gardenerbill, is @bif situated in Texas as well? Do you know where?

30 minutes ago, Jools mckenna said:

Men from the Royal Warwickshire, Chester(?), Manchester and Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry regiments. A fair amount of wound badges amongst them.

Cracking example of the teeth of that time on the bloke gurning in front of the door. I bet he could eat an apple through a letterbox...

7 minutes ago, Andy Wade said:

Cracking example of the teeth of that time on the bloke gurning in front of the door. I bet he could eat an apple through a letterbox...

I thought they were all gurning!

Perhaps your star was hamming it up with a mobile denture:

I knew an old boy who entertained thus [unannounced] when he had had a few.

Teeth fell out one day, mad scramble under the table. Put them back in without a rinse.

On ‎10‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 17:01, Jools mckenna said:

...anyone know what the medal ribbons on the bottom right man indicate...?

Scan0060.jpg

British War Medal and Victory Medal ribbons for service 1916 onwards, dating the photo after late 1919:

Orthochromatic medal ribbon comparison picture.jpg

1 hour ago, Muerrisch said:

I thought they were all gurning!

Perhaps your star was hamming it up with a mobile denture:

I knew an old boy who entertained thus [unannounced] when he had had a few.

Teeth fell out one day, mad scramble under the table. Put them back in without a rinse.

You're right there! It's a lovely picture of a load of proper chums having a lark about. My Grandad used to stick his top set out for a laugh with us young 'uns and I remember the screams of laughter once, when they fell out straight into his cup of tea! He would have fitted well in with these lads, having served time in theatre with 100 Coy Labour Corps. He always got up at weddings and family do's to sing some of the old songs and he had a good voice. I bet these lads would also have known all the words to those songs. Below is the only photo I have of him doing this. Sadly no photo of him in uniform. He died in 1978 aged 83 and took all his memories of the war with him:

IMG_0030.JPG

Dear Andy,

Is that the same 100th Labour Corps shown with 101st (Indian?) 643220065_101stLabourCorpsatBandarAbbas30Apr1918.jpg.e2039d111f19c7e882be5dcf0b7affe9.jpg470996351_GSMS.PERSIAforIARO101stLCT-CaptLaceyDelhi1938.jpg.0428e34c7cf9921435511f2d624bec8f.jpg413268807_Laceynaming.jpg.8369c84e54b340bb17ed113372fab577.jpgLabour Corps at Bandar Abbas in 1918?

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Just now, GWF1967 said:

Senior N.C.O's - R.F.A.

Scan_20190112.jpg

That one is particularly nice, wow.

I hope to be able to share soon!

Look at the long shadows, it must have been taken early morning or near sunset, more likely before breakfast i reckon.

9 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Senior N.C.O's - R.F.A.

At least two of the SNCOs are rough riders (riding instructors), and it's interesting that several of them have whistles on unusually conspicuous display.

I think there may be three, one with badge below gun badge, and there are two versions of the spur badge, one small metal, one large worsted. Lovely group.

13 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

At least two of the SNCOs are rough riders (riding instructors), and it's interesting that several of them have whistles on unusually conspicuous display.

6 hours ago, Muerrisch said:

I think there may be three, one with badge below gun badge, and there are two versions of the spur badge, one small metal, one large worsted. Lovely group.

Thank you  Gents. 

On 11/01/2019 at 19:33, Andy Wade said:

You're right there! It's a lovely picture of a load of proper chums having a lark about. My Grandad used to stick his top set out for a laugh with us young 'uns and I remember the screams of laughter once, when they fell out straight into his cup of tea! He would have fitted well in with these lads, having served time in theatre with 100 Coy Labour Corps. He always got up at weddings and family do's to sing some of the old songs and he had a good voice. I bet these lads would also have known all the words to those songs. Below is the only photo I have of him doing this. Sadly no photo of him in uniform. He died in 1978 aged 83 and took all his memories of the war with him:

IMG_0030.JPG

What a fantastic image. The things you wished you had asked, Thanks for posting..

On 12/01/2019 at 00:42, GWF1967 said:

Senior N.C.O's - R.F.A.

Scan_20190112.jpg

Is the chap on the far right AVC?

He's not badged RFA.

Great photo!

Chris

1 hour ago, Dragoon said:

Is the chap on the far right AVC?

He's not badged RFA.

Great photo!

Chris

Yes I think he is, Chris.  Good spot.  It seems likely to me that the huts in the background are the Royal Artillery Riding Establishment at Weedon Camp, or perhaps one of its adjuncts.

Edited by FROGSMILE

TF Gordon Highlanders, Garrison Military Police.  I assume he fell out with one of them! 

GH1 gmp.jpg

GH gmp.jpg