Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

15 hours ago, Gardenerbill said:

The vehicle in post #6242 looks like an armoured Rolls Royce with the turret removed, could it be from one of the Armoured Motor Battery units?

13 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Yes post #6246 is WW2 era with most of the military wearing Battle Dress.  Puttees continued in use for some units until 37 pattern web equipment was issued.

I agree that the same man appears in the RAF group (Squadron?) photo, wearing pilot’s wings.  He has clearly not yet transferred across to the permanent RAF list as he still wears army uniform and Sam Browne belt. At left rear can be seen some RAF officers in their new uniform with self cloth waist belt.

12 hours ago, max7474 said:

This photo was taken in Vivary park Taunton.  The building behind is the barracks to the SLI in Mount Street, Taunton.

Thanks very much everyone, great detail. Much appreciated.

Chris

On 26/01/2019 at 13:36, Fromelles said:

Having previously only ever looked at this thread on occasion I finally bit the bullet and committed myself to go through it from the start and glad I did too. Only downer is that some of the images are no longer available to view.

Being rather ignorant of British formations and badges etc I've been happy to go along with majority rules on any given discussion, but since committing myself I've found a couple of Australian photos that haven't really been touched so thought I'd chime in - even after all these months!!!

Even though the patch isn't clearly shown I'd be happy to put my money on it being 4th Australian Divisional Train (AASC) (c. 1916-19), it being the circle of the 4th Division divided diagonally (top rear to bottom fore) dark blue over white.

There are only two other circular patches divided this way, but as the colours don't match I've dismissed them both -

·         4th Divisional Artillery (c. 1916-19) - Blue over Red

·         11th Light Horse Regt (c. 1916-17) - White over Red

Cheers,

Dan

Thanks Dan, I was told elsewhere that it was probably 1st Aust Railhead Supply Company, they were part of AASC

Australian soldier wm cropped detail colour patch.jpg

On ‎26‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 09:22, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Thanks Ken,

We're working on the basis that  either a West Walian had moved to Cardiff for work and sent this card home to relatives, or that  a Cardiffian had at some point later moved west bringing his card with him. There are many other possibilities. 

So they were there for only a week?

Do you have the exact dates?

The 11th Welsh - Cardiff Commercial battalion - had a strong West Walian running angle. In 1914 a train from Milford Haven took a draft of recruits from Pembrokeshire to Cardiff and they stopped several times en route to the City. The Battalion VC winner was a Milford man, and one of the MM winners (John Davies - later killed) was from Nantgaredig.

22 hours ago, Jerry B said:

Thanks Dan, I was told elsewhere that it was probably 1st Aust Railhead Supply Company, they were part of AASC

Australian soldier wm cropped detail colour patch.jpg

Hi Jerry,

It isn't the patch of the 1st Aust Railhead Supply Detachment (c.1918-19). Even though the colours are the same as the 4th Div Train the patch is the wrong shape; that is unless you believe the patch in the photo is triangular.

654820352_AASCpatches.thumb.jpg.fba5571660b9a1d8c308cfb6bfdf5537.jpg

The above attachment is from Keith Glyde's reference book 'Distinguishing Colour Patches of the Australian Military Forces 1915-1951' - as can be seen the 4th Div Train is shown at #258 and the 1st Railhead Supply Detachment at #262.

Regards,

Dan

8 hours ago, Fromelles said:

Hi Jerry,

It isn't the patch of the 1st Aust Railhead Supply Detachment (c.1918-19). Even though the colours are the same as the 4th Div Train the patch is the wrong shape; that is unless you believe the patch in the photo is triangular.

654820352_AASCpatches.thumb.jpg.fba5571660b9a1d8c308cfb6bfdf5537.jpg

The above attachment is from Keith Glyde's reference book 'Distinguishing Colour Patches of the Australian Military Forces 1915-1951' - as can be seen the 4th Div Train is shown at #258 and the 1st Railhead Supply Detachment at #262.

Regards,

Dan

Indeed Dan, those who offered their opinion did think it was triangular in shape.

Difficult to be certain if it is circular as you think or not.

Thanks for contributing and adding the image, it is appreciated.

Two more from the local archive, the first at Cardiff, the second one of the Castle Hotel, possibly (but not convinced) Haverfordwest, or maybe Llandovery or even somewhere else. Reverse of first card posted. Second card on reverse has SG Griffiths, Photographer , Haverfordwest. The car registration's last letter is an X (Could be Carmarthenshire - BX) :

Welsh Troops Cardiff.jpg

img901.jpg

Castle Hotel.jpg

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

The sergeant adjacent to the field gun looks to be RWF, the men outside the hotel seem to be Glamorgan Yeomanry going by the efficiency stars and the PoW feathers arm badge above the sergeants stripes.

Men of the 16th (2nd Glasgow) Highland Light Infantry in training at Gailes. 

Scan_20190204.jpg.827a4b7fb0fc7c3cd090ea315acb2824.jpg412893526_Scan_20190204(2).jpg.edcb26c6082bb26794f4e207b86539ea.jpg

Great shot of a 'Guard Mount' ceremony for a Quarter Guard, or alternatively perhaps a 'Turn Out the Guard, Guard Turn Out!' scene.  This appears to show just the men not on sentry and so is probably the latter, but utilised as a photo opportunity.  The duty bugler stands in his correct position on the right flank of the guard.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Dominie Martino / Dominic Martin.   L/Cpl. 23282 Yorkshire Regiment. 14/3/1915.

Scan_20190206 (2).jpg

Edited by GWF1967

17 hours ago, CountryJohn said:

Post 6256 - Dai Bach.  I believe your second postcard shows the car outside the Castle Hotel, Carmarthen: -

CJ

Hi John,

The image you posted is in fact The Castle Hotel, Llandovery, - See Google Streetview

I think it was taken here:

Llandovery.jpg

This is the Castle in Priory Street, Carmarthen- not a good match at all.

Carmarthen.jpg

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

1 hour ago, GWF1967 said:

Dominie Martino / Dominic Martin.   L/Cpl. 23282 Yorkshire Regiment. 14/3/1915.

The son of Italian immigrants perhaps.  I wonder if he survived.

4 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

The son of Italian immigrants perhaps.  I wonder if he survived.

Discharged with a SWB. 

1 minute ago, GWF1967 said:

Discharged with a SWB. 

That’s strangely good to know.  He looks a forlorn soul.

On 02/02/2019 at 12:18, Drew-1918 said:

L.R.B.

Forgive my ignorance - what does LRB stand for please?

Regards Paul

26 minutes ago, pjwmacro said:

Forgive my ignorance - what does LRB stand for please?

Regards Paul

London Rifle Brigade. 

1 hour ago, GWF1967 said:

London Rifle Brigade. 

Thank you. Paul

Cpl. Angus Cattanach  2251 / 300596.   Princess Louise's Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders.   Appin House, Appin.

Embodied.  8th A&SH   21/10/1914. 

Reports on proceeding overseas 1/6th A&SH   9/11/1917. 

A/S.Sgt.  25/10/1918.

Scan_20190206.jpg

"Frank Farnell. Plymouth"   B. 1883.

Spr. Francis Victor Farnell.  44245  Royal Engineers.  France 10/7/1915.

Scan_20181031 (8).jpg

T.F Gloucester Signalers.  Taken in Dorset. 888656550_GlouSigs.jpg.dc23a1d61d92743541b10f05e7280e89.jpg

1395730772_GlouSigs2.jpg.323f8fcbe64c88ddb2ba4557611f116b.jpg