Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

Yellow, was an educated guess with Middlesex facing colours.  It is certainly a different colour to the drab SD. 

Edited by Toby Brayley

1 hour ago, Toby Brayley said:

Yellow, was an educated guess with Middlesex facing colours.  It is certainly a different colour to the drab SD. 

I'm not sure it's even a different colour Toby - more just an applied panel in a different shade of serge. 

Take the below. Regimentals are currently marketing a superb WOs jacket to the Cheshires, to which the individual has had applied lancer cuffs - which are plainly a different shade, and in mono too. The jacket belonged to a friend of mine - and previously to Tocemma of this place - and I've handled it many times, and the 'embellishment' of the cuffs is 100% contemporary.

Cheers,

GT.

IMG_3229.JPG

IMG_3230.jpg

^ that is brilliant , I would agree that is probably what's shown in the image.  Thank you

Edited by Toby Brayley

Glad that is cleared up ....... the RQMS jacket is strange enough without yellow!

I wonder why no collar badges .... jacket is 1919 at earliest.

Edited by Muerrisch

As the man concerned is a sergeant APTI, then he is, de facto, one of the battalion HQ staff sergeants, and it seems to me that this is likely a classic case of a regular trying to regain the dress differentials of pre-war standards.  I see that he has a shooting prize on his lower cuff too.

Edited by FROGSMILE

10 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

As the man concerned is a sergeant APTI, then he is, de facto, one of the battalion HQ staff sergeants, and it seems to me that this is likely a classic case of a regular trying to regain the dress differentials of pre-war standards.  I see that he has a shooting prize on his lower cuff too.

The prize is that for all the sergeants of the best shooting rifle company.

Strange ....... why is he such a sgt if staff?

1 hour ago, Muerrisch said:

The prize is that for all the sergeants of the best shooting rifle company.

Strange ....... why is he such a sgt if staff?

If I recall correctly at some point a Sergeant Instructor of Gymnasia was appointed to each infantry battalion in just the same way as there had long been a Sergeant Instructor of Musketry.  The former was not APTC, but regimental just as the latter was.  He was responsible for the battalion gymnasium with which each barracks was provided after a certain date.  He was trained at the School of Gymnasia At Aldershot, in the same way as Musketry instruction was taught at Hythe.  His badge of appointment the crossed swords above three stripes.  There was only one of these sergeants established for each battalion, assisted by a number of trained Corporals from each company, the latter listed as ideally required, but not mandatory, it was something for each company to aim for.  The APTI Sergeant was on the battalion HQ, and thus a member of the staff.  I don’t recall offhand the date of this establishment addition.  

If he were previously a sergeant in a rifle company before attending and qualifying at Aldershot (probably having earlier been APTI qualified as a company Corporal) then he would I’m sure still retain his shooting badge.

Also, as you know very well establishments changed over the decades.  For a great many years there was no HQ Company and the battalion staff were on held strength of rifle companies and their slot replaced by a Lance Sergeant.  Things changed a great deal with the switch from 8 to 4 service companies.

I know that you have a good collection of establishment tables, perhaps you can identify when the APTI Sergeant of Gymnasia began?

Edited by FROGSMILE

Researching Motor Ambulance Convoy's and came across this image which seems to be in the public domain. 28 Motor Ambulance Convoy of 630 Army Service Corps Motor Transport Company operating out of Rawalpindi.I gather taken around 1919. Some smartly tailored uniforms on these men and interesting sun helmet flash of 28 MAC. A mix of RAMC and ASC men.

Original here-

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Group_photo_of_28_Motor_Ambulance_Convoy,_Rawalpindi,_India._Wellcome_L0030438.jpg

Scott

Group_photo_of_28_Motor_Ambulance_Convoy,_Rawalpindi,_India.jpg

Interesting photo, Scott.  I think that most of them are probably hostilities only soldiers, or Territorials filling regular slots.  Apart from the one sergeant with a medal ribbon, there’s only the man top left corner seemingly with a 1914/15 star and a wound stripe.  All the others appear to be free of embellishments and just one has a  good conduct badge (cuff stripe) for 2-years, as far as I can see.

Edited by FROGSMILE

11 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Interesting photo, Scott.  I think that most of them are probably hostilities only soldiers, or Territorials filling regular slots.  Apart from the one sergeant with a medal ribbon, there’s only the man top left corner seemingly with a 1914/15 star and a wound stripe.  All the others appear to be free of embellishments and just one has a  good conduct badge (cuff stripe) for 2-years, as far as I can see.

That makes sense. A quiet war I imagine.

A superb photo Tony, thank you for posting it.  It shows the WOs1 in their closed collar, officer quality service dress (SD), and the other men, all seemingly staff sergeants and above, have had mitred or so-called, lancer cuffs fitted to their ordinary SD.  One man has gone a step further and had his upper pocket flaps scalloped too, all presumably to mark their senior status as mentioned above. 

Clearly post war from the medal ribbon bars and the overseas service and wound stripes on prominent display, I wonder if the scene might be a barracks in the Rheinland as part of the post war occupation forces that became the first, but relatively short-lived British Army of the Rhine (BAOR).  Unfortunately I cannot make out the formation sign that each man wears on his upper arm, but it seems to be of consistent pattern, indicating that they are probably from the same Division.  There are short shoulder titles comprising large letters so one of the service support corps seems likely.

Edited by FROGSMILE

3 hours ago, taylov said:

Here's a p/card with absolutely no clues other than what's in this image, but what a cracker.

Can most likely be accurately dated as being taken in mid to late 1919 - most/all have the BWM ribbon up (instituted in July that year) but none appear to have added the VM yet (only authorized later in September).

Superb photo - only spoiled by the poor turn out of footwear on display. Only the chap with the “scalloped” tunic pockets in the back row appears to have polished his boots:D

What were the WO1’s thinking......

Steve

Edited by tullybrone

At least three out of the four that were we can see there legs are wearing riding breaches and puttees tied at the ankle 

55 minutes ago, Dave1418 said:

At least three out of the four that were we can see there legs are wearing riding breaches and puttees tied at the ankle 

A good point, Dave.  That would suggest that they might be ASC.

An unknown football team. Nice shot of the Cardigans.  Note the QSA on the "coach" waistcoat. 

20181229_174252.jpg

Edited by Toby Brayley

French chasseur 

1_f (3).jpg

M.G. section.  Sold as Montgomeryshire Yeomanry, but I think they are Norfolk Yeomanry?

Scan_20181230 (3).jpg

Scan_20181230 (5).jpg

Opinions welcomed.

Edited by GWF1967

On 29/12/2018 at 19:37, Toby Brayley said:

An unknown football team. Nice shot of the Cardigans.  Note the QSA on the "coach" waistcoat. 

20181229_174252.jpg

Is the bloke on the far left wearing a kidney warmer?