Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

2 hours ago, taylov said:

Mark et al,

Many, many thanks for all your help.  I'm going to try and play around with various filters to see if I can get a useable image of the reverse of the card.

In the meantime here's a less than glorious image of WW1.   In this case we have a definite name - Laurence Slater of Coney Lane, Keighley is the "gentleman" with the knife at bottom left. Sadly no location, but a super scene in "Life in the A.S.C."

001.jpg

An early example of product placement perhaps!

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

.  I can’t make out what the wooden object is at far right.

A cabbage guillotine?

1 hour ago, Muerrisch said:

What rank is the second man please?

I think he just a normal sailor but with a dress jacket on.('Affenjacke')

Edited by Jools mckenna

11 minutes ago, Muerrisch said:

Some jacket! Used all the buttons on the ship by the look of it.

Ha, apparently they didn't last long and went out of service in about 1913.

5 hours ago, taylov said:

Mark et al,

Many, many thanks for all your help.  I'm going to try and play around with various filters to see if I can get a useable image of the reverse of the card.

In the meantime here's a less than glorious image of WW1.   In this case we have a definite name - Laurence Slater of Coney Lane, Keighley is the "gentleman" with the knife at bottom left. Sadly no location, but a super scene in "Life in the A.S.C."

001.jpg

No strawberry jam I see!!. I wonder if the lad second right completed that belt, it would be nice to think he did. I just hope they all got home safe. Pete.

Edited by CorporalPunishment

Dear robins2,

I would say Boer War medals: Queen's South Africa, and King's South Africa...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

12 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

A cabbage guillotine?

Yes, looking again I do believe that you are right.

On 28/11/2018 at 12:16, CorporalPunishment said:

The cap badges look to have the stringed bugle in the voided centre so they are either KRRC or 6th Londons. My money is on KRRC.

Looking again, I think CP is right. There's a void in the lower half of the centre which couldn't be there if the badge were QVR.

1 hour ago, wainfleet said:

Looking again, I think CP is right. There's a void in the lower half of the centre which couldn't be there if the badge were QVR.

Yes - it's definitely not QVR.  I was rushing earlier!

As well as the dragon sitting where the strung bugle has a void, the head and cloak of St George and the head of his horse together form a significant visual mass, which contacts the circlet from roughly the 10 o'clock  to 1 o'clock position.  The strung bugle only contacts at the 12 o'clock position and with much less visual mass.

The Finsbury Rifles badge is smaller than the other scroll-less KRRC-style maltese crosses, but only by ~10%.  I'm not sure we can rule it out here.  Giving us KRRC, 6/LR or 11/LR.

The red felt backing, or lack of, is also not a 100% reliable clue.  Some of the LR (and other 'rifles' TF) battalions copied the KRRC practice and conversely it's probably unsafe to say that KRRC riflemen ALWAYS wore it.

The lack of three-decker LR TF shoulder titles is, for me, the strongest pointer in favour of the KRRC here.  It's a real shame we cannot ID the men: it's fantastic when I can add images to names in my KRRC database.

Edited by MBrockway

1 hour ago, MBrockway said:

Yes - it's definitely not QVR.  I was rushing earlier!

As well as the dragon sitting where the strung bugle has a void, the head and cloak of St George and the head of his horse together form a significant visual mass, which contacts the circlet from roughly the 10 o'clock  to 1 o'clock position.  The strung bugle only contacts at the 12 o'clock position and with much less visual mass.

The Finsbury Rifles badge is smaller than the other scroll-less KRRC-style maltese crosses, but only by ~10%.  I'm not sure we can rule it out here.  Giving us KRRC, 6/LR or 11/LR.

The red felt backing, or lack of, is also not a 100% reliable clue.  Some of the LR (and other 'rifles' TF) battalions copied the KRRC practice and conversely it's probably unsafe to say that KRRC riflemen ALWAYS wore it.

The lack of three-decker LR TF shoulder titles is, for me, the strongest pointer in favour of the KRRC here.  It's a real shame we cannot ID the men: it's fantastic when I can add images to names in my KRRC database.

Unless I'm mistaken the 11th Londons badges all had unvoided centres to the best of my knowledge. Pete.

21 hours ago, taylov said:

Mark et al,

001.jpg

Is he specifically identified as Laurence Slater or is it possible this is post war?
I ask because the only Laurence Slater I have found was born in 1907. He did live at 41, Coney Lane in Keighley, which is taken from his marriage record to Florence Haigh in 1928. His occupation is given as 'Coal dealer'.

Edited by Andy Wade
fat fingers... multi posted in error

In which case it should be titled "Life in the R.A.S.C" but may explain why the ASC shoulder title appears as a trophy badge on the belt ?

5 hours ago, CorporalPunishment said:

Unless I'm mistaken the 11th Londons badges all had unvoided centres to the best of my knowledge. Pete.

In K&K, the description of the 1908-1922 11/LR badge (KK 1834) has this:

"A Maltese cross above which a tablet inscribed South Africa 1900-02 and surmounted by an Imperial crown.  On the four arms of the cross the motto Pro aris et focis.  On the cross a circlet inscribed Finsbury Rifles with, in the centre, a strung bugle.  In blackened-brass and in gilding-metal. both types with and without voided centres."

Most of the examples in my photo archive are unvoided, but ....

95039988_LondonRegiment11Btn(FinsburyRifles)definiteWW1.jpg.0a38143032f0714744f58d57d950cd1a.jpg

However ... provenance and date unknown, though obviously post 1902.

DNW had these for sale in 2014 in a mixed lot of LR badges, collar dogs and STs covering 1881 to Great War ,,,

L-R: QVR, Rangers, Finsbury Rifles

777687072_LondonRegiment-QVRRangersFinsburyRiflesDNW2014-06-25Lot687-Copy.jpg.e8893b79d4ac5398a578fc33f419c2d8.jpg

© Dix Noonan Webb

I've posted all three to show the relative size of the Finsbury Rifles badge.

It has 21st Middlesex in its circlet and no S Africa honours, so presumably dates to some time between 1881 & 1902/3.  Unfortunately K&K give no examples of the 21st Middlesex RVC/VRC from that time window.  The other two badges date post Boer War, with the Rangers post 1908.

Note also the QVR is here unvoided.  I usually see this voided.  The description for KK 1828 has "In different sizes and some with the centre voided."

I stress though, that the lack of LR ST's leans me towards our men being KRRC.

Mark

Edited by MBrockway

"A Maltese cross above which a tablet inscribed South Africa 1900-02 and surmounted by an Imperial crown.  On the four arms of the cross the motto Pro aris et focis.  On the cross a circlet inscribed Finsbury Rifles with, in the centre, a strung bugle.  In blackened-brass and in gilding-metal. both types with and without voided centres."

95039988_LondonRegiment11Btn(FinsburyRifles)definiteWW1.jpg.0a38143032f0714744f58d57d950cd1a.jpg

DNW had these for sale in 2014 in a mixed lot of LR badges, collar dogs and STs covering 1881 to Great War ,,,

777687072_LondonRegiment-QVRRangersFinsburyRiflesDNW2014-06-25Lot687-Copy.jpg.e8893b79d4ac5398a578fc33f419c2d8.jpg

© Dix Noonan Webb

It has 21st Middlesex in its circlet and no S Africa honours, so presumably dates to some time between 1881 & 1902/3.  Unfortunately K&K give no examples of the 21st Middlesex RVC/VRC from that time window.  The other two badges date post Boer War, with the Rangers post 1908.

Note also the QVR is here unvoided.  I usually see this voided.  The description for KK 1828 has "In different sizes and some with the centre voided."

Mark

Thanks for that

© Dix Noonan Webb

Mark

Mark, thanks for that information. It's a long time now since I gave up collecting but as far as I remember I never encountered a voided 11th Londons badge, you just never stop learning. As for the photo, I go for KRRC. To me they come across as looking very serious and professional, typical of pre-war Regulars rather than the usually more laid-back, cheery looking TF lads. Pete.

1701164266_SoldiergroupfootballsomewhereinFrance(2).jpg.bb4770b2e5120e14893221d3c07f6138.jpg

st.jpg.b95591f56858b5d3261f4a5b64ef0745.jpg

Can anyone tell me what colour this cloth shoulder title would have been?

Regards,

Chris

Yellow letters, ASC, on blue.

3 hours ago, Muerrisch said:

The London Scottish very interesting: a Pipe Major, a Drum Major  and a sergeant bugler. 

Pity I cannot see a band sergeant!

Many thanks. I double-checked but cannot see a band sergeant either. A couple more close-ups though. 

1127606355_ls3.jpg.c6ce9f644f70f18baa42d68958ab226b.jpg

A Signalling Sergeant?

388936312_LS2.jpg.1ef9ec4d74bb279b7ce4f5b9896f93d9.jpg

6 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Yellow letters, ASC, on blue.

Thank you. I had found reports online that the ASC was blue on white in WW1 and perhaps yellow on blue at a later period. In addition to what you say though, there is no way this title is blue on white.  This had me confused.

I think you have here 1. is too indistinct to read unfortunately ....... first guess is colour sergeant but any such worth his salt would not be in the back row

2. Looks like crossed hatchets pioneer sergeant.

Many thanks again. I certainly wondered what No. 1 was doing in the back row!