Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

Super, thank you.Note the total absence of MG in wreath badge 1st class MG marksman. The badge not introduced until the eve of war, and in my opinion overdue.

One of my favourite pictures in my collection. Pte P H Reynolds of the 1st Dorsets in his bedspace. The clarity of this postcard is utterly superb and provides us with lots of details to study. Note the early mix of 1888 Equipment in use with components of the 1903 bandolier equipment, the only time I have seen a "whitened"  mineral tin cover. He appears to have a Mk1 SMLE and 1903 Bayonet. 

Enjoy! 

pvt H Reynolds.jpeg

pte H Reynolds pictures.jpg

pte H Reynolds kit.jpg

A fascinating photo. I've seen only 1 or 2 other bedspace type pictures.

He's got quite a lot of photographs pinned up, maybe a photography enthusiast?

Great photo Toby, I can see why you like it, the detail is fascinating.  What is a ‘mineral tin’, I’ve not heard of that?

51 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

What is a ‘mineral tin’, I’ve not heard of that?

It was the the short lived "cleaning kit" introduced in late 1903 for the SMLE Mk1 (oiler and pull through was not stored in the butt trap initially ).   It consisted of mineral jelly , flannelette and  pull through. Photos of it are incredibly rare as are the actual tins and covers. Heres my example, sadly without any contents. 

20181121_175014.jpg

20181121_174952.jpg

Edited by Toby Brayley

1 hour ago, Toby Brayley said:

It was the the short lived "cleaning kit" introduced in late 1903 for the SMLE Mk1 (oiler and pull through was not stored in the butt trap initially ).   It consisted of mineral jelly , flannelette and  pull through. Photos of it are incredibly rare as are the actual tins and covers. Heres my example, sadly without any contents. 

Thank you Toby.  That’s very interesting, I had not heard of the mineral tin before.  It reminds me of the little cleaning kit (tubular tin) of grease and polishing cloth that used to come with the respirator issued prior to the S6 pattern.

Edited by FROGSMILE

The interior with spoon etc and another of the mineral tin cover

F43684ED-C75C-45DB-80E0-797F0E7A5238.jpeg

CC932494-1389-49BE-94BC-2DE3EB334897.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Dave1418 said:

Thank you!  I'll never find another tin , let alone the innards ! 

Edited by Toby Brayley

32 minutes ago, Toby Brayley said:

Thank you!  I'll never find another tin , let alone the innards ! 

Never say never!  :thumbsup:

15 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Never say never!  :thumbsup:

Very true! The Edwardian era quite a niche market, I tend to pick up bargains, as unlike the Great War era and the 1908 Equipment, it is not as popular or as well documented. 

RMLI Chap. 

RMLI.jpg

Edited by Toby Brayley

4 minutes ago, Toby Brayley said:

Very true! The Edwardian era quite a niche market, I tend to pick up bargains, as unlike the Great War era and the 1908 Equipment, it is not as popular or as well documented. 

RMLI Chap. 

I can see why you liked this one, what a great and clear view of the RM blue frock with its single chest pocket.  I think that this was the jacket used by the RMLI and RMA who deployed to Antwerp so disastrously in 1914.

Edited by FROGSMILE

18 hours ago, Dave1418 said:

Evidently from the same contract as this one:

20180611_112830.jpg

On 23/11/2018 at 12:37, wainfleet said:

Evidently from the same contract as this one:

Very Nice! Thank you, for sharing. 

An unknown Bandsmen, a veteran of the 2nd Boer War in simplified SD. Very bright chevrons and an unusual pin badge. 

Bands 1915.jpg

11 minutes ago, Toby Brayley said:

An unknown Bandsmen, a veteran of the 2nd Boer War in simplified SD. Very bright chevrons and an unusual pin badge. 

Bands 1915.jpg

Possibly a Temperance Medal, considering all those GC chevrons!

On 22/11/2018 at 18:17, Dave1418 said:

Fascinating. Thanks for posting.

On 29/09/2010 at 20:19, trenchtrotter said:

All,

Some wonderful images posted recently...thanks to all who have contributed so far. As I had hoped some named and some full of uniform and equipment detail. Wonderful.

Heres another from me......unknown RND officer. Note rank badges and boots. Taken Blandford Camp? Q...reversed negative or Sam Browne strap worn opposite way to army?

TT

It’s a reversed negative.  Notice how the jacket is buttoned across.

Edited by FROGSMILE

15 hours ago, Toby Brayley said:

Bands 1915.jpg

It was an old soldier’s trick (especially a regular) to whiten the herringbone tape on the stripes of his SD jacket using a brush, Toby. It could easily be removed when no longer required.

4 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

It was an old soldier’s trick (especially a regular) to whiten the herringbone tape on the stripes of his SD jacket using a brush, Toby. It could easily be removed when no longer required.

As you can imagine we have plenty in the RMP collection especially on 49 Pattern BD! Looks very smart. 

1 hour ago, Toby Brayley said:

As you can imagine we have plenty in the RMP collection especially on 49 Pattern BD! Looks very smart. 

Yes, I do recall that the CRMP and their forebears led the way to an extent in order to set a pristine example.

Edited by FROGSMILE

On 19/11/2018 at 20:10, 238977 said:

Hi there, 

this postcard was recently found whilst clearing out some of my grandads stuff. I have done as much research into us as I can online behind the sign however I am struggling to identify the insignia on the uniforms. If anyone could shed some light on anything in this picture I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!

44B0D30E-1EF4-413E-B918-690439DAF878.jpeg

12th Lancers.

On 21/11/2018 at 12:27, Toby Brayley said:

One of my favourite pictures in my collection. Pte P H Reynolds of the 1st Dorsets in his bedspace. The clarity of this postcard is utterly superb and provides us with lots of details to study. Note the early mix of 1888 Equipment in use with components of the 1903 bandolier equipment, the only time I have seen a "whitened"  mineral tin cover. He appears to have a Mk1 SMLE and 1903 Bayonet. 

Enjoy! 

pvt H Reynolds.jpeg

pte H Reynolds pictures.jpg

pte H Reynolds kit.jpg

Toby, do you have a date for the photo?. The reason I ask is because he is wearing the "pre-1900" pattern cap badge which I know remained in use well after that date but am wondering how long for. Pete.

1 hour ago, CorporalPunishment said:

Toby, do you have a date for the photo?. The reason I ask is because he is wearing the "pre-1900" pattern cap badge which I know remained in use well after that date but am wondering how long for. Pete.

He is wearing the SD cap introduced in 1905 but still has early accoutrements, Mk1 SMLE etc.  I would place this pre 1908... so c1905-1908. 

For this era and what I assume is a Regular Btn he still has a mix of "outdated" kit. 

regards

Toby

Edited by Toby Brayley

A rather unusual PC. Bayonet training. Sadly this was part of a number of postcards obviously from the same chap who appeared to have been a wartime PTI, lots of similar bayonet training images. The lots were for sale individually and I lost out on the remainder.   Nice shot of a "long lee" with P1888 bayonet.

bayonet training.jpg

Edited by Toby Brayley