Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

RFA Pre War.

Sent postcard from to W.H Baker of 50 Belmont Grove High Rd, Chiswick W.

I have plenty of images of the rolled Greatcoat ( being mounted, the full 1903 ensemble was not used, they didn't use the Greatcoat carrier) but I have never seen the rear as it is depicted here, it is interesting to see how it is achieved. It is also a fine study of the Mk1 General Service Haversack.

RFA 1909.jpg

Unusual to see the issued kit bag (hanging from his right hand) too.  It was significantly smaller than the WW2 version.

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

Unusual to see the issued kit bag (hanging from his right hand) too.  It was significantly smaller than the WW2 version.

I have 400+ images in my collection and this is the only picture I have of it! 

46 minutes ago, Toby Brayley said:

I have 400+ images in my collection and this is the only picture I have of it! 

They must be quite rare now. I saw an original recently still painted with a soldier's name and number, it was in remarkable condition for its age.

Edited by FROGSMILE

I seem to remember that even the RA had colour sergeants c. 1820-40, not to be outdone.

I am up a small mtn in Austria so no access to sources.

On 8/3/2017 at 16:06, Muerrisch said:

I seem to remember that even the RA had colour sergeants c. 1820-40, not to be outdone.

I am up a small mtn in Austria so no access to sources.

Yes, the RA did officially have colour sergeants for a short time, as you say, although it seems that within the Royal Regiment they were frequently referred to as Company Sergeants as a preference, whilst retaining the same badge of rank.  Documents contain references to both terms.

Edited by FROGSMILE

R.A.

R.E. with private purchase id tag.

A.S.C.  Young and small.

Scan_20170804 (3).jpg

Scan_20170804 (2).jpg

Scan_20170804.jpg

On 8/3/2017 at 13:10, FROGSMILE said:

It appears to be similar to what we were issued with before the demise of troopships,  viz. the 'Sea Kit Bag'.

One's full size green sausage (with a strap and retaining carabiner clip) went into the hold, and articles needed on the voyage went into the small white bag, which just had  eyelets around the top to pass a piece of cord through.

4 minutes ago, Stoppage Drill said:

It appears to be similar to what we were issued with before the demise of troopships,  viz. the 'Sea Kit Bag'.

One's full size green sausage (with a strap and retaining carabiner clip) went into the hold, and articles needed on the voyage went into the small white bag, which just had  eyelets around the top to pass a piece of cord through.

Yes, I think it might very well have been the same thing.  The one I saw had no carrying strap, just a cord running through ringlets to close the top.

James Wood. Pte.13136. 6th King's Own Royal Lancaster Reg.   DoW 10-8-1915. Buried 7th Field Ambulance Cemetery. Turkey.

Scan_20170805 (3).jpg

Albert Lister. Cameronians.

B.1895 Dalkieth.  Attested. 5/3/1914.  France.20/3/1915. Pte. 1948. D.Coy. 1/6th Scotish Rifles. 

Wounded (GSW - R/Hip) 12/8/1915. 10th G.H. Rouen. 

Pte. 240268. B.Coy. 10th Scotish Rifles.

Wounded. (GSW - L/Wrist) 3/4/1918. 

Discharged. 8/1/1919. 2nd Scotish Rifles.  Wounds. S.W.B. No. B92203.

Scan_20170805 (4).jpg

Herbert John Scragg. Pte. 12371. 11th Queens.

France. 15/7/1916 - 1/8/1916,  

D.Coy. 23rd Royal Fus. 2/8/1916 - 28/8/1918.

Scragg.jpg

Thomas Blackett. B. Ryhope. Durham 1896.

Enlisted. Sunderland. (Pony Driver. Coal Pit).

Pte. 14111. 7th Green Howards.

KiA. Fricourt. 1/7/1916.  Cpl. 14111. 7th Green Howards.

Believed buried. Fricourt Cemetery.

Scan_20170805 (2).jpg

On 5/25/2017 at 22:42, GWF1967 said:

" Centre is CQMS Sidney Hunt 810 / 240060 Somerset Li.Inf. Died 4/12/18 Jerusalem Cem'y,   (3) is Uncle Joe(Joseph Walter) Hunt, Dads Brother 240715" 

"A.C. Joseph Photographer. MAYMYO".

Both men served with 1/5th S.L.I.

Scan_20170525 (2).jpg

Another happy postcard reunite; I bought the origional card from the same postcard trader back in May, I recognised the name from an email list I recieved yesterday ( GF of the same name helped jog the grey matter ), sent payment and the card arrived this morning.

" 810 (240060) Sgt Sidney Hunt later C.Q.M.S. Died 4/12/18 Jerusalem War Cemetery.  Walter Hunts Son & Belle Hole (B. 1891. Dunster), about 1916"

Scan_20170805.jpg

4 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

B.1895 Dalkieth.  Attested. 5/3/1914.  France.20/3/1915. Pte. 1948. D.Coy. 1/6th Scotish Rifles. 

Scan_20170805 (4).jpg

Is there any record of him being in the Seaforth Highlanders? That's what most of his kit appears to be, yet not one listed in the description above...

12 hours ago, Andrew Upton said:

Is there any record of him being in the Seaforth Highlanders? That's what most of his kit appears to be, yet not one listed in the description above...

Cameronian all the way according to the back of the postcard and his surviving  service record.

On 8/5/2017 at 16:00, GWF1967 said:

Scan_20170805 (4).jpg

20 hours ago, Andrew Upton said:

Further, he is dressed as a Bandsman with red facings on his white drill-jacket.

I agree with Gordon92, definitely Seaforth and definitely a bandsman.  The dress is unmistakable.  Perhaps the ID is mixed up.

Edited by FROGSMILE

On ‎08‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 21:42, GWF1967 said:

Harold Stark. 6th Dragoons.  15/2/1914.

Scan_20170627 (3).jpg

Only just caught this, so sorry if it's already been pointed out, but it's 6th Dragoon Guards (Carabiniers). The 6th Dragoons were the Inniskilings.

4 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

I agree with Gordon92, definitely Seaforth and definitely a bandsman.  The dress is unmistakable.  Perhaps the ID is mixed up.

Yes indeed, and a nice example of offlcial thrift. No band badge to be seen and no badge provided for Highland and Guards white drill.

Here I am getting excited over a badge absence

Sad or what?

4 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

I agree with Gordon92, definitely Seaforth and definitely a bandsman. Perhaps the ID is mixed up.

Quite possible. 

3 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Only just caught this, so sorry if it's already been pointed out, but it's 6th Dragoon Guards (Carabiniers). The 6th Dragoons were the Inniskilings.

Many thanks. 

Better late than never. 

19 minutes ago, Muerrisch said:

Yes indeed, and a nice example of offlcial thrift. No band badge to be seen and no badge provided for Highland and Guards white drill.

Here I am getting excited over a badge absence

Sad or what?

You make good points.  I seem to recall that an order was issued that only badges of rank and appointment were to be worn on white shell jackets, although other badges had been worn earlier.  I imagine that a band badge was not thought necessary as the red faced jacket was sufficiently distinctive.

Edited by FROGSMILE