Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

On 04/09/2017 at 09:00, mark holden said:

Tommy in leather jerkin.

IMG_7232.JPG

That appears to be the rather more rarely encountered "Jerkin, double texture tan twill" - see:

Post 39 in particular by Joe Sweeney - "Jerkins, double texture tan twill (pattern 9672/1917) was introduced on 11 September 1917. Construction details are exactly the same as that of the leather except the leather was replaced by cotton twill with the same leather covered wooden buttons being used. It’s not clear whether there was a specific issue anticipated for this jerkin or it could be issued in lieu of the leather jerkin. Its life span was short lived and was declared obsolete on 6 January 1920."

George Thomas Whitear. Pte. 45210.  37th Labour Batt. R.F.  ( later 108th Lab.Coy).

Pte. 64656 108th Lab. Coy- Lab Corps. 

59b165ce1ab7c_Scan_20170905(8).jpg.fa1d72670dd3f1b3d4752394316333f4.jpg

MGC Private 'posing'

IMG_7227.JPG.091387456bd721d90e22d5b5d1b7cca9.JPG

MGC Officers

IMG_7234.JPG.18812aba36ea01cf6b4f0bae2ca6e6e0.JPG

7 minutes ago, mrfrank said:

Great photo, Brodrick cap, 1897 pattern Mounted Infantry bandolier and the early pattern of SD with central pleat at rear and removable shoulder straps with coloured piping indicating arm of service..

The service number for Pte Slater (later Cpl) of 7338 would put his date of enlistment as being approx early 1904 and I'm guessing that this photo was taken shortly after enlistment. Anyone any idea when the Northants Regt stopped wearing the Brodrick cap? Cheers. 

Edited by mrfrank

6 hours ago, mrfrank said:

The service number for Pte Slater (later Cpl) of 7338 would put his date of enlistment as being approx early 1904 and I'm guessing that this photo was taken shortly after enlistment. Anyone any idea when the Northants Regt stopped wearing the Brodrick cap? Cheers. 

I think it was in 1905 for the home battalion and depot staff.

Thanks Frogsmile....I'm sure the photo dates to 1904 and the subject being a 19 year old new recruit.....many thanks. For info, the photo was one of three framed photos I bought recently on EBay of war dead who all appear to be listed on the Kettering war memorial. They were probably framed by a church/school or club, but I'm yet to find the link between them. The other two were images of Arthur William Plummer 6th RW Surrey Regt (DoW 19Jul18 - St Sever, Rouen) and Pte C Mason (Prob Pte Charles Bury Mason Kia 07Oct16 13th DLI formerly Northants Regt, Thiepval Memorial). 

4 hours ago, mrfrank said:

Thanks Frogsmile....I'm sure the photo dates to 1904 and the subject being a 19 year old new recruit.....many thanks. For info, the photo was one of three framed photos I bought recently on EBay of war dead who all appear to be listed on the Kettering war memorial. They were probably framed by a church/school or club, but I'm yet to find the link between them. The other two were images of Arthur William Plummer 6th RW Surrey Regt (DoW 19Jul18 - St Sever, Rouen) and Pte C Mason (Prob Pte Charles Bury Mason Kia 07Oct16 13th DLI formerly Northants Regt, Thiepval Memorial). 

I don't know if you are aware but the Northampton Museums holds the photo collection of the two regular battalions (on behalf of the regimental association) in a 'Flickr' stream.  I imagine that they would be happy to have a copy of the photo of Private Slater.  See: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/northamptonmuseums.wordpress.com/2011/09/28/the-northamptonshire-regiment-collection/amp/

Edited by FROGSMILE

5 minutes ago, IPT said:

This type of thing?

Related image

Yes. It's clearer in your colour photo - is it a folded up peak behind the cap band?

Ugly things, Brodricks, I always think.

33 minutes ago, Stoppage Drill said:

As the forum's foremost authority on uniforms and insignia, I am forced to agree with you.

Here are some more from my private collection of things I have stolen from the internet in the last 60 seconds;

Image result for broderick cap

Related image

Image result for ww1 broderick cap

6 hours ago, Stoppage Drill said:

Toby Brayley will be visiting you. He seems to have some form of youthful obsession.

15 hours ago, IPT said:

As the forum's foremost authority on uniforms and insignia, I am forced to agree with you.

Here are some more from my private collection of things I have stolen from the internet in the last 60 seconds;

Image result for broderick cap

Related image

Image result for ww1 broderick cap

I trust you jest unless you claim to be  prima  primus inter pares

My spoolchicker cannot cope with those Roumanian phrases.

Edited by Muerrisch
illiteracy, of which my old school would be ashamed

1 minute ago, Muerrisch said:

I trust you jest unless you claim to be prima inter pares

That can be my new user name.  

I shall wear a special Brodrick with Primus on the cap band.

33 minutes ago, IPT said:

That can be my new user name.  

I shall wear a special Brodrick with Primus on the cap band.

Does that mean you are a stove?

'Primus in Indus' being what the Devonshire Regiment cooked their chappattis on.

3 minutes ago, IPT said:

Possibly a mug.

👍 😬

Edited by FROGSMILE

two for the 1st Rifle Battalion Monmouthshire regiment, both having black strung bugles rifles units buttons.

59c13eca0b34f_mons1striflesbnpc1s.jpg.2575cca19bd1d0b5989105b2616a1700.jpg

59c13ed300e62_mons1striflesbnpc2s.jpg.932208dda0d57a0a1823572165a95290.jpg

A soldier of the 73rd Battalion CEF (Royal Highlanders of Canada).  He wears a kilt of Cantlie tartan.  This was a simplified khaki kilt with colored overstripes used to backfill temporary shortages of Government tartan kilts.  The Cantlie tartan was worn by both the 42nd and 73rd Battalions.  This man can be identified as belonging to the 73rd by the Maple Leaf collar badges; the 42nd wore C over 42 collars.

59c42bac292dd_73CEFww1.jpg.721ac8fe8b1428151b41257c0065ff12.jpg

7th BN Merioneth & Montgomery, Royal Welsh Fusiliers, with full T over 7 over grenade over RWF metal tiles and a a swagger stick

59c53befcdbec_RWF7thbnpcsmallsize.jpg.0c86660323ef5d2cdb76447d5eaf7ff0.jpg