Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

1 hour ago, gordon92 said:

Looks like he was originally taken on by the 46th Battalion CEF (probably whose uniform he is wearing in the first photo) at Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan and then the 16th Battalion Canadian Scottish (your second photo).  Just in case you do not have it, here is his service file:  Purl Moore.

Thanks gordon92; Yes have his service files. He originally enlisted with the 46th but was transfer to the 16th. He joined then June 6th 1916 in the Ypres Salient. He still had his collar badge from the 46th among his effects. Deas Gu Cath

Medals.JPG

16 hours ago, robins2 said:

Canada WW1 CEF Cap Badge 52nd Battalion "New Ontario Regiment"

COLLAR BADGE New Ontario Regt  there are other Ontario Regts with similar collar badges, I don't think the one in photo is general list

regards

Bob R.WW1 CEF OR's Collar Badge - 34th Overseas Bn - Guelph Ontario

Guelph Ont Regt

11 hours ago, Jean Richardson said:

Jean,

Here is a link to the 52nd Battalion War Diary:  http://data4.collectionscanada.gc.ca/netacgi/nph-brs?s1=52nd+Battalion&s13=&s12=&l=20&s9=RG9&s7=9-52&Sect1=IMAGE&Sect2=THESOFF&Sect4=AND&Sect5=WARDPEN&Sect6=HITOFF&d=FIND&p=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.collectionscanada.gc.ca%2Farchivianet%2F02015202_e.html&r=0&f=S

It starts in Feb 1916 and runs through until March 1919.  I have not read it but there might be some information there regarding the battalion's band.  Their initial deployment was to Shorncliffe, in Kent, which seems to fit with meeting your forebear.

There is a good general history of the CEF at the following link, where you will see that the 52nd Battalion seems to have been formed as a large contingent of reinforcements and allocated to the 9th Brigade of the 3rd Canadian Division:  http://www.niagarahistorical.museum/media/03.C.E.F.-ABriefHistorycopy.pdf

Background Information:

Organized in March 1915 under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel A.W. Hay. Authorization published in General Order 86 of 1 July 1915. Mobilized at Port Arthur. Recruited in Port Arthur, Kenora, Fort Francis, Fort William and Dryden. Draft of 5 officers and 250 other ranks sent to England on 17 June and 4 September 1915. Embarked from Saint John 23 November 1915 aboard CALIFORNIA. Disembarked England 2 December 1915. Strength: 40 officers, 1032 other ranks. Arrived in France 21 February 1916. 3rd Canadian Division, 9th Canadian Infantry Brigade. Reinforced by 18th Canadian Reserve Battalion. Returned to England 11 February 1919. Disembarked in Canada 24 March 1919. Demobilized 30 March 1919. Disbanded by General Order 149 of 15 September 1920. Regimental colour donated by Princess Beatrice Chapter IODE, Port Arthur and Kings’ colour by Busy Bee Club, Fort William. Presented by Sir Arthur Currie at Tournai, 3 February 1919. Deposited in St. John’s Church, Port Arthur. Brass band. Perpetuated by The Lake Superior Regiment.

Some details of CEF at Shorncliffe area in WW1:  

1.  https://www.saltwoodkent.co.uk/the-canadian-at-shorncliffe-during-

2.  https://www.saltwoodkent.co.uk/discovery-of-ww1-practice-trenches

3.  http://www.stepshort.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/The-Canadians-in-Folkestone.pdf

4.  http://www3.nfb.ca/ww1/building-a-force-film.php?id=531245

Edited by FROGSMILE

4 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

R.E. and A.S.C.  T.F.  Cadets. 

Scan_20171017 (2).jpg

This is very interesting to see.  Do you know the unit designation?

21 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

This is very interesting to see.  Do you know the unit designation?

No details added unfortunately. 

" "C" Sub-Section, 110th Battery, R.F.A.  Winners of Brigade (24th) Football Shield, also Battery Musketry Shield, Boxing Cup won by Driver J. Coundon (49560) Champion of the Midlands"

Scan_20171016 (5).jpg

Very interesting to see RFA practicing musketry ....... their course was shorter than the other teeth arms [infantry, cavalry, RE] and they were not equipped on a scale of one weapon per man, just had a sprinkling of rifles on the battery.

We don't see musketry badges on gunners, but I live in hope!

2 hours ago, Muerrisch said:

Very interesting to see RFA practicing musketry ....... their course was shorter than the other teeth arms [infantry, cavalry, RE] and they were not equipped on a scale of one weapon per man, just had a sprinkling of rifles on the battery.

We don't see musketry badges on gunners, but I live in hope!

The Shield only proves they could hit the target more times than any other battery! 

Left is. Dvr.12267.  Evan Tudor. 89 Bde. Amm. Col. R.F.A.    B.1896 Pembrokeshire.Wales.

Scan_20171017 (3).jpg

• 2 weeks later...

" B sub. 8th Battery R.F.A. Fulwood Barracks. June 27th 1917"

Nice to see a proper, hard to find, pre H&S sized sledge hammer!

Scan_20171018 (6).jpg

I purchased this one thinking it was pre-war RA TF (2 TF Efficiency Stars are visible)  but closer inspection reveals the centre NCO has hatched chevrons. The NCO on the left appears to have an economy style SD minus rifle patches but with pleat and detailing usually omitted on the simplified versions.  

RA TF 1.jpg

Edited by Toby Brayley

There were some variants of the simplified jacket, but I’m not sure when the hached chevrons came into use.  Joe Sweeney did make a post about this at one time.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Just now, FROGSMILE said:

There were some variants of the simplified jacket, but I’m not sure when the hached chevrons came into use.  How Sweeney did make a post about this at one time.

Cheers,  I think the conclusion was 15/16. 

1 hour ago, Toby Brayley said:

I purchased this one thinking it was pre-war RA TF (2 TF Efficiency Stars are visible)  but closer inspection reveals the centre NCO has hatched chevrons. The NCO on the left appears to have an economy style SD minus rifle patches but with pleat and detailing usually omitted on the simplified versions.  

RA TF 1.jpg

The wasting out/ omission period for the "old" TF efficiency and proficiency stars, plus those musketry badges senior to the straightforward musketry marksman is an interesting one. Thus, as the war ground on, one notes fewer and fewer of these lovely old badges in wear. I think it was just fashion, or possibly unit orders.  No AO or ACI killed them off as far as I can tell.

In the next World War, the RAFVR men [my father included] were reluctant to wear the VR endorsement because they did not want to be seen as 2nd class men. Which they were not.

Poona, India, Sept 1918.  I suspect RA. 

I love the variation in KD so prevalent in India.

poona Sept 1918.jpg

Edited by Toby Brayley

What is the badge above his chevrons on right upper arm, can you zoom in?  If RA the gun should be on both arms.  I think it is something else.

Edited by FROGSMILE

5 minutes ago, robins2 said:

chevrons appear to be just tacked on, ??

That is typical in India and hot climes, so that they can be easily removed when the clothing is washed.

Sepoy

NB Washing in the Indian Sub Continent can be a little brutal. On my first trip to India, I sent a number of shirts to be washed and ironed (Also in Poona) - they came back looking excellent, except every single button had been smashed :)

Edited by Sepoy