Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

11 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

It's easy to see why these early DRs, as well educated early motorcyclists, in many cases subsequently became interested in the RFC as aircrew.  There was even a direct read across in terms of the type of clothing that was worn by both.

Much later in the war a great uncle of mine served as a DR in the ASC, and then switched to pilot training; while he wouldn't have fit the earlier social template discussed here it's interesting to note a continuation of the trend into the last year of the war. 

Pat.

2 hours ago, Pat Atkins said:

Much later in the war a great uncle of mine served as a DR in the ASC, and then switched to pilot training; while he wouldn't have fit the earlier social template discussed here it's interesting to note a continuation of the trend into the last year of the war. 

Pat.

Yes, I imagine it was to do with the similar intoxicating sense of speed, defiance of miles, and wind in the hair feeling.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Would any of you deltiologists care to help with or comment on this one? Family possession, and we have reason to believe it might be a relative, F.W.G Davis, died at Harwell, Berks (Spanish flu) 21st November, 1918, 15344, Royal Berkshire Regiment (as buried and commemorated in the CWGC cemetery there), but 312577, 396th Agricultural Company, Labour Corps, at the time of his death. However, the back of the post card indicates it is a 'JEROME Ltd' one, and a few minutes on Google seems to say they began operating in the 1920's... But the uniform and cap look WW1 to me... So, anyone have any ideas or advice?

scan0001.jpg.04a40d8280491d633b1f1f93b263ce4e.jpg

scan0002.jpg.91ad81ae25c26178572c15dce7aed40a.jpg

Probably a Falerist (?) you want but the badge looks unclear to me

berkshirecapbadge.JPG.5d4b1a2bce603215d4bea351bfeca7d7.JPG

berkshirecapq.JPG.447cd0308af45c385bd61766af5ac5a0.JPG

labourcorpscapbadge.JPG.319198df3ee528f7504a0ca2b72c00d9.JPG

Have you got a clearer scan of the badge?  Photo looks to be copied from a group photo?

Charlie

Hello Julian,

have you considered the following scenario:

F.W.G Davis died at Harwell, Berks (Spanish flu) 21st November, 1918 and was, of course, mourned by his surviving familiy. Some time around 1920-25 a relative for some reason wanted to have a copy of the photograph posted by you. However, there were only very view vintage prints and nobody wanted to part with them. So the relative in possession of a vintage print went with it to a Jerome Photo Studio and had a repro made of the original print (as there was no negative of it available to print fresh ones off ). This way a photo prior to Nov. 1918 might bear the Jerome Ltd logo. The quality of the print (reduced grey scale, grainy structure) might support this idea.

GreyC

PS: Thank you for teaching me a new word: deltiologist. I only knew philocartist :).

Edited by GreyC

2 hours ago, charlie962 said:

... Have you got a clearer scan of the badge?  Photo looks to be copied from a group photo?

Well, I was hoping a postcard expert would pick up on the JEROME and give me the dates for their operations. The badge is as the badge is at it is, but could be a Berkshire one - and the portrait could indeed be copied from a group one, as...

2 hours ago, GreyC said:

... have you considered the following scenario: ... Some time around 1920-25 a relative for some reason wanted to have a copy of the photograph posted by you. ... and had a repro made of the original print ... The quality of the print (reduced grey scale, grainy structure) might support this idea. ... PS: Thank you for teaching me a new word: deltiologist. I only knew philocartist :).

... which certainly seems a good possibility! I did think he had a 'fag' or pipe in his mouth, but it does look like it might have been a scratch on an older negative or on an existing photograph, so could well be a copy and cut from a group photograpg... Yes, deltiologist is a good word to know, from deltion, a writing tablet...!

Julian

Hi Julian,

if it is not penciled in it should be a scratch in the negative as it is dark (scratch in a negative allows light to pass through unhindered therefore blacking the lightsensitive surface). Were it to be on the positive it should be lighter/whitish.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

1 hour ago, GreyC said:

... if it is not penciled in it should be a scratch in the negative as it is dark ....

No, not pencilled in, and so a scratch on the negative... Tends to support the idea an older image was used to make the card at a later date, if indeed the uniform is WW1 period rather than 1920's, which is when - as I googleunderstand it(!) - JEROME Ltd seem to have been making cards with that particular marking.

Before reading the post of GreyC, my immediate impression too was that the face and hat had been superimposed on a different photograph, the left side of the hat looks particularly suspicious.

1 hour ago, Gardenerbill said:

... my immediate impression ... the left side of the hat looks particularly suspicious. ...

Very good point, thanks - I had assumed he was wearing a 1915 'Gor Blimey!' cap and we were seeing the flap on that left side. But, it is too far back for that. I think that the rest of the bust view, though, is ok. So, perhaps it is a cut-out from a group photograph with an 'oversnip' there?

But - also - what about the JEROME mark - surely you deltiologists can say something from that on the date of the post card?:unsure:

After some time looking closely I think that it is a head lifted from a group photo and superimposed over another head, trunk and arms.  The original head is apparent, as elements of it extend outwards from the superimposition, which appears to 'float' in a quite obvious way.  It seems clear enough that this photo manipulation process was done by JEROME after the war (and not very well at all).

Edited by FROGSMILE

With a magnifying glass at hand I agree with frogsmile. I hadn´t notice it before, but Jerome´s will have still needed an internegative to sandwich the two. I mean to make out retouching marks around the face.

GreyC

20 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

After some time looking closely I think that it is a head lifted from a group photo and superimposed over another head, trunk and arms.  The original head is apparent, as elements of it extend outwards from the superimposition, which appears to 'float' in a quite obvious way.  It seems clear enough that this photo manipulation process was done by JEROME after the war (and not very well at all).

19 hours ago, GreyC said:

With a magnifying glass at hand I agree with frogsmile. I hadn´t notice it before, but Jerome´s will have still needed an internegative to sandwich the two. I mean to make out retouching marks around the face.

GreyC

Thanks chaps! So, a probability that this is a post-WW1 'make-do' to commemorate the person in question after his death, and who, as it is a family item and the badge may be the Berkshires, could just possibly be Fred Davis, died at Harwell, Berks (Spanish flu) 21st November, 1918.  The 'Death Penny' for him is in the family but nothing else apart from the usual birth, etc., certificates. 

Well, we have got somewhere with it, and so again, many thanks! My great nephew is, incidentally a dead ringer for this guy, and so potentially his great-great-grandson, but objectively, that does not mean as much as one would like!:mellow: There you go!

R.A.M.C. group  at Lewisham Hospital featuring Pte. 21099. Richard Ralph Skillington.

595c100a01e74_Scan_20170702(5).jpg.0fdec62b6050a3305a8ef91a2d7bba01.jpg

595c10218699c_Scan_20170702(6).jpg.c3e6d6330a0901e14b8b2f6898fa38ec.jpg

Lurking behind the officers is a 4-badge Good Conduct man with Geneva badge on lower arm above chevrons. Could easily be mistaken for a QMS until June 1915. The wearing of the Geneva badge on both arms was far from universal. Here we see it so.

3 hours ago, Muerrisch said:

Lurking behind the officers is a 4-badge Good Conduct man with Geneva badge on lower arm above chevrons. Could easily be mistaken for a QMS until June 1915. The wearing of the Geneva badge on both arms was far from universal. Here we see it so.

Thanks for the observations. 

Guy.

"With love from Bertha"

595d300374b3a_Scan_20170621(4).jpg.05a1e5cb30cb004b4ba454cf6f1e1e0e.jpg

" Dear Bert,

home for good old chap, that's the stuff to give-um, Cyril hurry up and follow, find me if you can on other side"

595d44e91a7b9_Scan_20170621(3).jpg.11a1c6c61f8163aa91eb37f14b8005af.jpg

R.A. Groups.

Scan_20170621.jpg.63a5077ff2604f64afed7393911e1de2.jpg

Scan_20170624.jpg.6d49f2c3de6a4f1a346dc4abcbd3e528.jpg

Divisional group.

Scan_20170627.jpg.94a1b9d7c7b5cdd10d677b418a7d39d7.jpg

Welsh Regiment band. Haverfordwest photographer.

595d4c39687dc_Scan_20170624(7).jpg.c946676e5c05f5381f99ad3fa7db7ffe.jpg

32046. Pte Turner Ainsworth M.M.  27th Field Ambulance. R.A.M.C.  (LG. 16/11/16).

596140edb1029_Scan_20170627(4).jpg.3f2f0adf5bb33d9c6c65d90624d62b3d.jpg

Cpl. Cedric Jenkins. 2673. Yorks Hussars.  4452. T - R.E.  482583. R.E. 

Scan_20170627.jpg.94a1b9d7c7b5cdd10d677b418a7d39d7.jpg

Harold Stark. 6th Dragoons.  15/2/1914.

5961440bcf2ed_Scan_20170627(3).jpg.f75d8b01fe378484042bed0f7b3371e1.jpg

Hi,

22 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Cpl. Cedric Jenkins. 2673. Yorks Hussars.  4452. T - R.E.  482583. R.E. 

482583 appears to be a 1917 TF renumber associated with the number block issued to West Riding Division Signal Company RE. On his right arm, is that a part of a white over blue signallers brassard?

Regards

Chris