Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

L/Corp R.F.A, he has a coloured material on his epoulette also another flash on his arm but is difficult to see on the photo.

post-20062-098105600 1288633138.jpg

Group at a camp in conway,n.wales.cap badge and small shoulder titles look like they may be royal engineers.

This an enthralling Thread and thank you to TT for starting it.

But would it be possible,to "top and tail" the personal and explanatory notes,which are heartfelt,but detract from the original subject matter i.e.Uniforms?

George

I have put this on before on another thread but I thought I would put it on again just in case anyone had not seen it. He is 2nd Batt. Manchester with brass shoulder title, slip on title and red diamond with company bars.

post-20062-097499100 1288633579.jpg

Fantastic additions, thanks. Diane your image of the 7th RB chap has RE s/t. Did he transfere?

As an aside I have been well and truely gazumped recently on e bay for some images. The prices are amazing...£25 plus.

I will post some more soon. Also may have lost a cracker of a Notts and Derby chap in the post. Will be rather upset if he has gone "west".

Regards all and thanks again to all.

TT

There is one problem with this Thread,

That whilst it is displays old uniforms,which have may,or not been comfortable to the original wearer.

We seem to be applauding Uniforms.

I accept that the fact that my Uncle,may have been lousy,when his photograph was taken,in France,and therefore,he did not feel comfortable when his photograph was taken but he seems to have accepted,his local Newspaper's desire "for photographs of men on active service".

George

There is one problem with this Thread,

That whilst it is displays old uniforms,which have may,or not been comfortable to the original wearer.

We seem to be applauding Uniforms.

I accept that the fact that my Uncle,may have been lousy,when his photograph was taken,in France,and therefore,he did not feel comfortable when his photograph was taken but he seems to have accepted,his local Newspaper's desire "for photographs of men on active service".

George

I cannot see any problem at all with this thread George, in fact it is one of the best thread's for a long time and has been a pleasure to see other member's photo's. Why do'nt you put some on ?

We are not applauding uniforms at all. We are sharing images, giving individuals an opportunity of sharing and remembering relatives who served and yes....sharing info on uniforms and clothing. These items simply did not survive, when they do are far beyond anyones bank account and there is a wealth of info in a photo.

This thread is not about weather the uniform was comfortable but of images of soldiers.

I would welcome some pictures of soldiers from France / Germany and indeed missing here the Navy.

Enjoy the thread for what it is.

We all understand the pain and suffering these men experienced. That is why we are here on the forum.

Kind regards

TT

John,

Love all the images of the 1/5th Notts and Derby men. When I look at their images I cant help thinking if one of the cap badges shown is the very one I found at Gommecourt three years ago? Makes you think.

TT

PS it is the image of a 10th N and D thats gone missing!

Diane your image of the 7th RB chap has RE s/t. Did he transfer?

TT

Oops. Yes he did indeed. Started off in RB then a stint with Northants and finally RE [i've always taken that as RB!]

Cheers

We are not applauding uniforms at all. We are sharing images, giving individuals an opportunity of sharing and remembering relatives who served and yes....sharing info on uniforms and clothing. These items simply did not survive, when they do are far beyond anyones bank account and there is a wealth of info in a photo.

This thread is not about weather the uniform was comfortable but of images of soldiers.

I would welcome some pictures of soldiers from France / Germany and indeed missing here the Navy.

Enjoy the thread for what it is.

We all understand the pain and suffering these men experienced. That is why we are here on the forum.

Kind regards

TT

post-55705-053465700 1288662555.jpg

closest photo to Navy I have

post-55705-076001200 1288663243.jpg

nice shine on boots (who is holding swagger stick in wrong hand????)

post-55705-088093400 1288664226.jpg

Royal 1st Devon Yeomanry

post-55705-096257300 1288664300.jpg

Tpr. Rose Hertfordshire Yeomanry

post-55705-058065600 1288664386.jpg

post-55705-065518300 1288668060.jpgpost-55705-026086500 1288668039.jpgpost-55705-034252200 1288668023.jpg

post-55705-088093400 1288664226.jpg

Royal 1st Devon Yeomanry

post-55705-096257300 1288664300.jpg

post-55705-058065600 1288664386.jpg

post-55705-073845700 1288676006.jpg

Derbyshire Yeomanry

post-55705-038239800 1288676146.jpg

Derbyshire Yeomanry Territorial

post-55705-074104200 1288676258.jpg

Royal East Kent Yeomanry

I cannot see any problem at all with this thread George, in fact it is one of the best thread's for a long time and has been a pleasure to see other member's photo's. Why do'nt you put some on ?

John,

I have no problem with the Thread and you will see from a recent post that I thank TT for starting it and suggest to the Mods that it should be "topped and tailed" of narrative posts,such as this one,to allow it to remain one as a permanent record of the types of Uniform worn during the Great War and where possible the Battalion,Organization and name of the individual.

I confess that I am computer illiterate when it comes to uploading photographs on the Forum but if you scroll back and look for an earlier post relating to the 8th Royal Scots, which TT submitted on my behalf,you will see I have contributed photos to the Thread.

To my mind,however,the photos are a snapshot of a traumatic moment in time taken either to reassure Family or to aid home morale.They are,therefore,false, as in the main, they convey cheerfulness but mask the reality and horrors the individual ,portrayed, had or may experience.

Best wishes

George