Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

have a look at post #212, appears to be wearing watch & dated photo

Yes, but what relevance does that have to wristwatches supposedly not being in existence before the war when they actually were? :huh:

Yes, but what relevance does that have to wristwatches supposedly not being in existence before the war when they actually were? :huh:

He's backing your argument up isn't he? That's how I read it.

He's backing your argument up isn't he? That's how I read it.

Not really - the photo in question showing a wristwatch being worn is dated March 1916 - if it was dated pre-war it would have backed it up.

Firstly my gg uncle Horace George Parnell, who served as Gunner 97820 in the Royal Field Artillery during the First World War until his death on 27th June 1916.

An improvement I hope:

http://postimage.org/image/2knkzja10/

JDLli.jpg

My late stepmum's uncle Launcelot Charles Victor Andrews, who served as Private 45052 in 11th Battalion Suffolk Regiment; he died of wounds on 17th October 1917 :

post-2839-035603000 1287348205.jpg

Ah, the joy of reassembling a 1914 pattern belt after cleaning - he's put the buckle back on the wrong way round, should be the other way, sort of thing an RSM would spot at a 100 yards!

Re High Woods photo of the York and Lancaster lad, it looks like the poor boy lost an eye or possibly both as well as his leg.

I hope he rests in peace.

Sue

It is a very poignant photograph and shows the price paid by so many of his generation. There are no clues as to where it was taken but it was almost certainly taken in England; in 1918 at the earliest. I imagine just before he was discharged from the army.

Note his three overseas chevrons.

I wish that I knew who he was.

Re High Woods photo of the York and Lancaster lad, it looks like the poor boy lost an eye or possibly both as well as his leg.

I hope he rests in peace.

Sue

Looks more like the "thousand yard stare" resulting from his experiences..........his relative has a similar expression as well.

Unknown York and Lancaster Regiment.

I wouldn't mind a crack at cleaning that picture up for you. As you rightly say, we're unlikely to be able to find out who he was, but I think the least we could do is try to tidy up what may be the only picture left of him. He deserves that much at the very least.

I tried to PM you but the system won't allow it through to you. Is your inbox full?

Please contact me if you're up for it and I'll send you my email address.

Regards,

Andy.

Not really - the photo in question showing a wristwatch being worn is dated March 1916 - if it was dated pre-war it would have backed it up.

As Andy stated, just trying to back it up but obviuosly taken the wrong way???

post-55705-080473800 1287439410.jpg

further to topic

discribed as 1908 military officers watch, made for use in trenches

I thought it might, but in checking I wasn't certain how a very clearly 1916 dated photo can help prove wristwatches existed pre-1914, unless your eyesight is good enough to make out any pre-war dated inscription or hallmarks on it, which I must admit in this case mine isn't... :innocent:

Unknown York and Lancaster Regiment.

Had a go at the low res version.

post-14525-038506300 1287463993.jpg

Chris

My offering for the evening: TF Gordons NCO group probably including 2045 Sgt Mackie.

post-14525-060967400 1287464216.jpg

I thought it might, but in checking I wasn't certain how a very clearly 1916 dated photo can help prove wristwatches existed pre-1914, unless your eyesight is good enough to make out any pre-war dated inscription or hallmarks on it, which I must admit in this case mine isn't... :innocent:

not going there, thanks for your replies

post-55705-026916200 1287469025.jpg

Somerset Light Infantry

interesting group

RSM has 5 LS stripes??

Instead of duplicating the photo's here, I've linked to another thread photos of my great grandfather.

Examples of 20th Middlesx regiment and Royal Fusiliers.

He was a stretcher bearer.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=133971

Re all new photos...thanks. I agree re the poor soul who lost his leg. I thunk he has lost an eye too. Cosmetic replacement.

Re the watches...ok we now all agree they existed before the war. I suppose I should have been more clear and stated that they came into their own during the war, increased in popularity and were not widespread in use before 1914........can we now put that one to bed please and focus on the wonderful and often sad pictures of those who fought and endured so much.

Regards all.

TT

This is two postcard Type from a group of the "Banks" and "Taylor" family photographs I was given a while ago, they where taken in two studio's in Winnipeg. The young lad on the right has the numeral 52 on his cap,could this be Red Cross ?.

Aye Rob.

post-56-091203800 1287505759.jpg

An improvement I hope:

http://postimage.org/image/2knkzja10/

Thanks Andrew,

A bit of contrast improves the image no end. Funnily enough there's a photo of another chap by the same photographer / studio currently for sale on everyone's favourite online auction site - shows exactly the same faded sepia quality as the one of my gg uncle.

All the best

Steve

Unkown family group from a Burnley photographer, is that the 55th west lancs divisional badge above the L/cpl stripe ?, is the number 5 a battalion number ?,

regards John.

Badge above the chevron would be Assistant Instructor Lewis Gun IIRC. No clue on the badge with the 5 on it.