Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

post-55705-009068200 1288843664.jpg

East Surrey Regt. Senior NCO Group

Note cap badge of chap in middle

Family portrait,my grandfather,john pearcy,6th KOYLI,grandmother,jane and my father (b.1916).taken in october 1917.

Another unknown wartime family. One of my favourite postcards, I always assumed it was a mother and father with their children, going by the family resemblances. Although it must have been lucky to have both boys at home, especially as they are in different regiments? (Suffolk and Queens Own RWK)

5057688773_a5cb7042e7_z.jpg

post-55705-011558300 1288949425.jpg

Queens Regt Group Territorials

Note collar dogs on officers

Group shot of Royal Fusiliers, photo is marked 'Richmond' in the corner.

Overseas Service Stripes - 1918 > A couple of chapes with LG Lewis Gunner badges, one with a bandsmans badge. 4 Wound Stripes visible.

One chap stood at the back has had his hair closely cropped, just leaving a patch at the very front. ( I think he has more hair in that splendid moustache!)

Again, click on the photo to get access to a larger version in flickr.

5055643968_67c6bae59e_b.jpg

Some forum members may recall me posting this chap's picture a few years back.

An early war photograph taken by Boughtons of Ipswich of a young Suffolk Regiment territorial (unknown battalion). Note his Imperial Service badge and rather 'solid-looking' cap badge (not the usual 'open' badge associated with the Suffolk Regiment TF - or is it a TF badge with cloth material behind it?). He also has a curious 'crossed' badge just visible on his upper right arm (I can't make out what this is).

post-2839-083543500 1289249000.jpg

This young chap was the sweetheart of my nan's eldest sister, and sadly he was killed during the war; after this my great aunt never married. Sadly no one in the family know's this chap's name, and of course those that once did are now long gone.

All the best

Steve

Some forum members may recall posting this chap's picture a few years back.

An early war photograph taken by Boughtons of Ipswich of a young Suffolk Regiment territorial (unknown battalion). Note his Imperial Service badge and rather 'solid-looking' cap badge (not the usual 'open' badge associated with the Suffolk Regiment TF - or is it a TF badge with cloth material behind it?). He also has a curious 'crossed' badge just visible on his upper right arm (I can't make out what this is).

This young chap was the sweetheart of my nan's eldest sister, and sadly he was killed during the war; after this my great aunt never married. Sadly no one in the family know's this chap's name, and of course those that once did are now long gone.

All the best

Steve

Exellent image, looks like a scout's badge. JG

Group shot of Royal Fusiliers, photo is marked 'Richmond' in the corner.

Overseas Service Stripes - 1918 > A couple of chapes with LG Lewis Gunner badges, one with a bandsmans badge. 4 Wound Stripes visible.

One chap stood at the back has had his hair closely cropped, just leaving a patch at the very front. ( I think he has more hair in that splendid moustache!)

Again, click on the photo to get access to a larger version in flickr.

5055643968_67c6bae59e_b.jpg

A cracking example of the early use of 'stable belts' too. They were frequently used to hold up trousers alongside braces, which at that time had no elastic and therefore no 'give'. When the men had to do physical work, such as mucking out at stable parade, they invariably let the braces slip of the shoulders so that they could bend freely and relied on the stable belt to secure the high waisted and loose fitting trousers/breeches.

Some forum members may recall posting this chap's picture a few years back.

All the best

Steve

I am wondering if his badge is one with a castle variant with just 2 towers instead of the usual 3. He definitely seems to have the battalion 'scout' badge on his left upper arm.

post-599-077497900 1289266876.jpg

Alternatively it might be this variant of badge, where the towers are configured in a solid mass rather than the more usual fretted or voided (cut out) method.

post-599-042608000 1289266930.jpg

A few of mine to add into the mixture! Firstly two of my Grandfather, 57659 Herbert Gaskin RFA:

herbertgaskin.jpg

HMEGaskinc1918.jpg

Keith

A couple of pre-War Territorial photos (I think). The first is an unknown man and the second is Thomas Edmund Butlin, who served in the 2/7th Warwicks and was killed at St Quentin in March 1918 at the start of the German offensive. Thomas' uniform seems very ornate.

soldier1.jpg

tmsbutlin.jpg

Comparing this chap to Thomas Butlin I think he's another of my relatives on that side of the family but I have no idea who he is. Another Gunner, of course.

unknownsoldier3.jpg

Keith

Three more unknowns. Two ASC (probably MT), an ASC and, I've been told on here, a KRRC soldier.

unknownsoldiersx2.jpg

unknownsoldier.jpg

unknownsoldier2.jpg

Keith