Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

5th N/D. The Officer, middle row second right is Captain F.H.M.Lewes who was kia 1.7.1916 at Gommecourt Wood. The tall chap at the back is, 201609 Sgt. Herbert Walker, the corporal middle front is Arthur Latham.

post-20062-097317300 1289913727.jpg

A friend has one on a tunic, to a CSM in the Cheshires.

Is that the elusive toecase boot in the bottom photo of post 511?

Is it possable that your friend could put a photo of the tunic on, I think everyone would like to see it. J.G.

Is it possable that your friend could put a photo of the tunic on, I think everyone would like to see it. J.G.

I don't think he will want to do that; he is not a forum member and not given to posting pictures of his collection. He lives some distance away from me and we only talk now and then. But next time we do, I will mention the interest you expressed.

The sign is exactly like the one in the picture, with IIRC a maroon or purple background. The tunic is very clean and smart, and looks more demob than frontline.

I don't think he will want to do that; he is not a forum member and not given to posting pictures of his collection. He lives some distance away from me and we only talk now and then. But next time we do, I will mention the interest you expressed.

The sign is exactly like the one in the picture, with IIRC a maroon or purple background. The tunic is very clean and smart, and looks more demob than frontline.

OK, thanks, just a thought, John

2nd / 6th Battn. N/Derby, top left is Pte. 102940 William Rodwell later transferred to the 1/22 London with new number 79012 and was kia on 2.9.1918.

post-20062-037494400 1289932194.jpg

Unknown N/D, I brought this in a junk shop at Matlock Bath for 20p, it was in a frame but it was in a bad state and unrepairable. Sadly no name.

post-20062-025173200 1289932642.jpg

5th N/D at camp, anyone know what the carriage is ?

Looks to be the Mk. III Infantry Carriage for the Maxim. It was used prior to the issue of the Limbered Wagons and Mk. IV Mounting. In 1909, Regular Battalions were issued with the Mk. IV, whilst T.F. Battalions received the Mk. III - according to Hobart, 1971.

The Mk. IV then remained the Tripod for the Vickers MG for the rest of its service life.

Regards

Richard

1443 Pte.John Thomas Ankers 1st/5th N/D. Wounded in 1916, his name appeared in the Derby Mercury dated 13.10.1916. Photo shows him with his wife Sarah and son Ernest prior to him leaving for France in 1915.

post-20062-082750900 1289933616.jpg