Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

RAMC group, named but unknown location and date.

Captain Cooper

Sergeants Leslie and Whittaker

L/Cpls Darney(?), Flinty(?), Read, Reddy, "Ting-a-Ling", Hussey, Elley, Nealls (or Healls), Georgie, Tulley (or Tolley) and Holly.

If anyone has any ideas as to who any of them are, it would be much appreciated.

post-20576-013436400 1290283195.jpg

Richard,

Do you know the publisher or location of the RWY photos? My all consuming interest and what got me started, is Forest Row Camp in Sussex, one of the early stations of 1/1 South West Mounted Brigade. The background to the mounted shots is not dis-similar to a couple of cards in my collection.

Phil

Phil,

The first of F.J. Hinton is East Grinstead Photo Co., Railway Approach. One of the examples has been used as is post-marked East Grinstead 25th April, 1915.

The second of F.J. Hinton is A.G. Wheller, 11 Clinton Terrace, Dormansland, Surrey. Again, a used example is post-marked East Grinstead but the date is unreadable.

The unknown R.W.Y. mounted soldier is also A.G. Wheller.

The portrait of Edgar is a Swindon company so done while he was still at home.

Hope this is of interest,

Richard

Richard,

Thanks for getting back to me.

All three are of Forest Row Camp vintage and would confirm that he and the unknown man were with the 1/1 SWMB contingent. I would recognise that fencing anywhere :lol:

The card I posted was by Wheller, although I don't think the subject appreciated his workmanship, as the message begins "These are a rotten failure. The fool must pull the trigger while I was trying to get his back legs out - so it's all up the stick."

I hope TT doesn't mind if I go off subject and post this photo of one of the faces of the "Monument", for your benefit.

Phil

post-20576-024545500 1290353257.jpg

post-55705-018299500 1290321568.jpg

any ideas of time period of this one???

And the MG would be a Maxim.

Dont mind the odd straying at all, however please try not to post images of tanks or generic pictures such as Daily Mail battlefield images. The idea is to remember those who served either by name or image and also post images of uniforms so that unusual insignia on period pictures can be seen.

Thanks

PS Grumpy any comments on the ASC chap and grenade above chevrons. I posted an image a while back with an interpreter and asked if you had knowledge of ASC sgts having brass grenades above.

Thanks

TT

Beyond saying that, if he is definitely ASC he should not be wearing a grenade, I am stuck.

Grenades above chevrons:

Grenadier Guards

HAC Infantry

RE full sergeant and above

TMB-qualified men and officers

Bomber-qualified men and officers

and I think that is it!

His cap badge looks 100 % ASC and certainly not any of the others.

Thanks anyhow for reply. I do appreciate it.

TT

Excellent thread - I'm keen to hear from anyone with a photo postcard of a Royal Dublin Fusilier, especially the 1st Battalion.

Chris - your I-spy guide is great

kind regards

Lyn