Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

Named group of Royal Warickshire Regiment men including some from a Pals battalion taken at Ballyvonare in March 1918. Amongst this group are 8464 CSM Herbert Fenton M.M. and Bar, 10th battalion, Royal Warwickshire Regt., 145 Sgt W A Fenton; 568 CSM Victor Lissamire; 202 Cpl James C Powell; 764 Cpl A L Rumney; 253 Pte Bernard H Rogers, 15th battalion; 98 Pte Samuel Herbert Birchley, 15th battalion, as well as men with names like Lewis and Roberts who are obviously much harder to attribute.

post-6480-054307300 1290254589.jpg

post-6480-008321800 1290254650.jpg

post-6480-078299400 1290254731.jpg

RWgroup.JPG

Birm cu 2.JPG

2nd birmcu.JPG

Edited by high wood

My first thought with this thread was "What a brilliant idea!"

But as it's grown I had become increasingly concerned that it will just end up as a very long thread with loads of photographs that will be so huge no one will be able to find anything.

I have done a couple of searches of the thread using the forum search box to see how well it works and am pleased to say that it seems to be working pretty well.

If people continue to include as much text detail as possible along with the photographs they post, even if it's just a guess as to the relevant service/regiment/etc (going on the cap badge or collar dogs), then it will become a very useful resource indeed.

Adding service numbers where known is a great idea too as it may lead to discovering that one picture you never knew existed.

These postcards are both members of my family. They are click-able and will open a bigger picture.

The first and second are my Great-Grandfather Pte Frederick James Hinton, "D" Squadron, 1/1st Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry, later 6th (Wilts Yeo) Bn, The Wiltshire Regiment. He survived the war but was captured in March, 1918, and sent to Offizier Gefanfenlager II at Schweinitz. I have previously uploaded a PDF of the camp magazine to this site (the link is in the documents section). Sadly, his medals were stolen in the mid-1990s. I do, however, have his complete RWY set of insignia that he is wearing in the photographs. I also have his identification discs.

They give quite an interesting portrait of the mounted soldier.

th_image4.jpg

th_image3.jpg

The third is his brother, my Great-Great-Uncle, Pte Edgar John Hinton of the same unit. He was killed on 21st March, 1918, and is commemorated on the Arras Memorial and on a private family memorial in Wanborough Churchyard, Wiltshire. I have his medals and two memorial scrolls to his name.

th_image5.jpg

It was the inheritance of these items that secured my interest in the military and the collection that I have today stems from that.

Regards

Richard

These two are also Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry and were with the family collection of items; however, the subjects have not been identified.

th_image0.jpg

th_image8.jpg

These were also with the family connection but I have been unable to identify any links to the Royal Engineers. It may have been a 'beau' of one of the three Hinton sisters but there are several different subjects, including the motorcycle and sidecar.

th_image7.jpg

th_image2.jpg

th_image1.jpg

I hope these are of interest.

Regards

Richard

267252 Pte.John Kirk, Royal Warwickshire Regiment wearing a battle patch. Possably either 2nd/5th (red square) or 2nd 6th (light blue square) battns. who wore that flash.

post-20062-049208100 1290262407.jpg

Richard,

Do you know the publisher or location of the RWY photos? My all consuming interest and what got me started, is Forest Row Camp in Sussex, one of the early stations of 1/1 South West Mounted Brigade. The background to the mounted shots is not dis-similar to a couple of cards in my collection.

Phil

Sergeant 165 and 10016, Ernest Victor Harvey, 1/1 Hampshire Yeomanry. Later 204641, 15th (Hants Yeo) Battalion, Hampshire Regiment. Commissioned May 1918. From Carisbrooke, Isle of Wight. This portrait photo was taken while at Forest Row Camp in early 1915.

post-20576-005922800 1290273536.jpg