Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

These are of 199451 William Pearce, my Grandfather's brother-in-law, who served in the 35th AT Coy, RE in Egypt. The first must have been taken in early 1909 and I'd guess that he was then in the TF but in which unit I have no idea. The family were living at Minworth at the time and he's working on a local farm in the 1911 census, which is why I think he's a Terrier. He was 35 when he was called up on 30th September 1916 and he seems a few years older in the second photo so I'm guessing that was during his training as it doesn't look very Egyptian! He looks pretty pround up there on his nag, doesn't he?

BillRosaandEmilyPearcewithElizaButl.jpg

WilliamPearcesmall.jpg

Keith

I am wondering if his badge is one with a castle variant with just 2 towers instead of the usual 3. He definitely seems to have the battalion 'scout' badge on his left upper arm.

FROGSMILE & JG,

Many thanks for your feedback. Do any forum members have a good image of a battalion scout badge? (I've never seen one of these myself before!)

All the best

Steve

A few of mine to add into the mixture! Firstly two of my Grandfather, 57659 Herbert Gaskin RFA:

herbertgaskin.jpg

HMEGaskinc1918.jpg

Keith

Exellent images of your grandfather.

Cloth version's of scout badges

That's excellent! Many thanks for posting - looks like the left hand cloth patch my chap is wearing.

All the best

Steve

Cloth version's of scout badges

post-55705-068098300 1289365906.jpg

scouts badge I posted before but cannot find thread

Bob R

One brass " Scout " badge, there was also a large brass one and a cloth version.

There were a pre-1907 pair, large, black felt backing, gilding metal, with bar was 1st class, without was 2nd class. First appear in RACD ledger 1905.

A new, smaller pair were substituted in 1907.

These were ALL for Tunic order and for SD.

No worsted versions were ever sanctioned although many were manufactured and sold privately.

The badges all died the death soon after the war.

I have the set, but also a couple of the Indian Pattern infantry version in gilding metal, which I will scan and post if anyone asks for them.

Picked up in a shop in Hay on Wye. Been told it could be the 19th Londons.

post-55413-035845600 1289476891.jpg

10th Hackney. WE French KIA 20th May 1917. left front row

post-55413-044931400 1289477470.jpg

WE French. 10th Hackney. KIA 20th May 1917

post-55413-064724500 1289478452.jpg

For a bit of a naval flavour, here is my nan's eldest brother Robert George (Bob) Scarff c. 1918 / 1919, serving as Signal Boy J.87099. Bob joined the Royal Navy late in 1918, although he did not see action he did receive a BWM. He served in the Royal Navy until about 1924.

post-2839-022804600 1289510558.jpg

All the best

Steve

nice portrait of an unknown nurse and soldier (looks like durham light infantry)

john.

The Northumberland Fusilier wearing the cap in post #439 is possibly serving with a Training Reserve Battalion. Note the patch on his upper arm. This was usually the Reserve Brigade numeral, but sadly I can't get it any clearer.

4013 Pte.William Alfred Wicks, 1st / 5th Notts & Derby. Wounded at Bethune and due to the severity of his wounds was discharged on the 10th July 1916.

post-20062-045481300 1289658041.jpg

Three more unknowns. Two ASC (probably MT), an ASC and, I've been told on here, a KRRC soldier.

unknownsoldier2.jpg

Keith

Interesting belt buckle, it looks like it has the Order of the Garter around a Victorian crown and lion?

Its a General Service pattern belt buckle, which came in brass for regulars and whitemetal for Volunteers/Territorials.

Its a General Service pattern belt buckle, which came in brass for regulars and whitemetal for Volunteers/Territorials.

To what era though Graham? (Belts are not my 'thing' but this one appears to be more intricate than the snake belt and other buckled ones shown in most of the other pics). Please excuse my ignorance !

I know it's a Slade-Wallace type but I'm not sure when it was introduced. This link shows an example.

Keith

nice portrait of an unknown nurse and soldier (looks like durham light infantry)

john.

They look like brother and sister to me. (Post #490)

post-55705-055489900 1289788104.jpg

London Regiment, 6th Brigade 1913

note tent in middle with large lettering SIMMONDS, any one know why that tent would be lettered?? (wouldn't be simmod mattress co>??

)post-55705-029550200 1289788304.jpgs

City of London Regt. Yeomanry