Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

38 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

This is what confused me too, several of the other frocks look a similar shade (regardless of collar) and might well be red/scarlet.  It would be quite correct for the AGS to have worn scarlet with blue collar, as along with the School of Musketry, they wore scarlet with blue facings and were generally dressed and accoutred as infantry.  He might well be wearing scarlet, but as Muerrisch noted it would be unusual for sergeants sashes to not be worn.

There is a PHD thesis out there on physical training in the army up too the great war. I obtained the link from this forum, there was mention of uniforms. The download might be on an old tablet, will try and find it. 

10 hours ago, Scalyback said:

There is a PHD thesis out there on physical training in the army up too the great war. I obtained the link from this forum, there was mention of uniforms. The download might be on an old tablet, will try and find it. 

That will be useful.  The alternative is that the frock might be blue with scarlet Russia braid at base of collar and around shoulder straps.  

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thanks for all the input chaps. I have messaged the Curator of the APTC Museum to see if they have an examples of the uniform.

An unknown O.T.C, with Devon affiliation?

Nice shot of components of the 1903 Bandolier Equipment with MkII Cartridge Pockets, 1903 Bayonets and the MkV Waterbottle. The piled SMLEs are Mk1s.

Devon OTC 1.jpg

Devon OTC 3.jpg

Devon OTC 2.png

Apt caption! 

Lovely shot of Royal Marine Light Infantry in Barracks, a great shot of the single breasted frock, white fatigue rig and their Brodricks. There is lots going on in the background too, quite a nice kitted out barrack room! 

390456428_RMLiBarrack1909.jpg.22f70baa88dc91e23093309b1a03629a.jpg

The RMLI  work frock they are wearing. 

JAN_3317.JPG.89cbaa3dc2e37480bb2698712dd93a9b.JPG

A maxim team "in action" part of a Gale and Polden produced postcard series.  Note the seldom seen first pattern braces with the flared sections on the shoulder, hooked quillon bayonets and the "1903" GS haversack converted for wear with the 1908 web equipment.

Maxim.jpg

Superb photos Toby, thanks for posting.  I especially love the spoons on the wall board behind the RMLI lads.  Do we know if its Chatham, Deal, Devonport, or Portsmouth?

Edited by FROGSMILE

Sdaly no mention of the location at all. 

Battalion Scouts with the large metal 1st Class badge on SD. Struggling with the cap badge. It appears to be something wreathed with a lower scroll and crown (almost QVC looking). The shoulder titles are curved and they do not appear to have any TF embellishments.  The puttees wound infantry style and I can make out components of the 03 Bandolier equipment including a bayonet so I have ruled out Cavalry. 

1178685999_ScoutsSD.jpg.f0ac03c6eb31af734615c8a99bfc6b04.jpg

East Lancs or some TF unit?

182609081_ScoutsSDcap.jpg.79828e49b9b1d02e660725db895db207.jpg

Edited by Toby Brayley

Just now, max7474 said:

6th Hampshires Duke of Connaughts is a contender.

Very much so,I think you have it.  thank you. 

a1kc47tyfurg4742_7.jpg

Edited by Toby Brayley

On 06/12/2018 at 22:52, Scalyback said:

Did you manage to find this Scalyback?

Tanks3

A young recruit with a button for a cap badge

Scan_20181209 (5).jpg

Scan_20181209 (9).jpg

T-R.F.A.- Warwickshire.

Scan_20181214 (4).jpg

R.F.A. Old Contemptible Bombardier with Wound Stripe 1914 Star ribbon and R.A. buttons.

Scan_20181214 (2).jpg

34 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

R.F.A. Old Contemptible Bombardier with Wound Stripe 1914 Star ribbon and R.A. buttons.

Scan_20181214 (2).jpg

It appears to me that he has lost his lower right arm or am I seeing things?. Pete.

12 minutes ago, CorporalPunishment said:

It appears to me that he has lost his lower right arm or am I seeing things?. Pete.

I think you may be correct, just below the os chevrons  

56 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Surely its just the top of the chairback that is putting a fold in ?

There appears to be a definite vertical fold,back towards the torso, just below the chevrons. 

21/01/1915.    Edward John Haynes. Machine Gunner, 4th Royal Welsh Fusiliers.     

The Post Office, Llay, Wrexham.  

Enlisted. 21/10/1914. Aged 19.      Discharged due to wounds 26/9/1916.

Scan_20181214 (3).jpg

Montgomeryshire Yeomanry, Rendlesham. 

Photographer. - Ada Mannall, B.1881. Blaxhall Suffolk. 

Pte. Charles Howard. 2588.  Staffordshire Yeomanry.

Cpl. 300070. Corps of Hussars.

Scan_20181209 (8).jpg

Scan_20181209 (4).jpg

Army Service Corps, 2nd Boer War Veteran , with Regimental Police armlet.

AS RMP.jpg

Edited by Toby Brayley