Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War Forum Conference and Dinner - fifth speaker announced!

AlanCurragh

my cheque went in the post today

cheers Martin B

• Admin

I regret the choice is a new computer or the conference this year............

Michelle

I regret the choice is a new computer or the conference this year............

Michelle

Michelle

Cut down on the Tanqueray in Skindles and treat yourself to both!! :lol: :lol:

Roger

• Admin

:lol::w00t:

M

For those of you who have read George's helpful (& unbiased!) review of Peter Hart's soon-to-be released "Gallipoli" (here) - and are keen to know more - Peter is of course speaking at the Conference in April on "Helles - the Real Fight for Gallipoli" and might just have copies of said volume for sale. Speak to him nicely & he might even sign it for you!

Brian

Alan,

I have just paid the balance owing. I sam looking forward to enjoying the day given the great list of speakers you have put together.

Best regards,

Ian.

p.s. By the way is it true that when asked for an example "rare as Hen's teeth" many people are now starting to say "unsigned Peter Hart books" :whistle:

My outstanding fees for the conference and dinner went via PayPal yesterday.

Keith

Alan

I have sent outstanding balance via forum PayPal.

Regards Doug

Thanks folks for the recent payments. I'm pleased to say that we are now up to 90 attendees at the conference

Alan

Hi chums,

Great to see that so many people are coming to the GWF Conference - Alan says we're up to 90 and we've got nearly two months to go! Hooray! It was a real gesture of faith by Alan and the rest of his team in organising this conference over the last year and I for one am more than grateful. As a well known water-carrier to the 'great and the good' I intend to express my appreciation in liquid form - I'm going to buy him a drink!

What a smorgasboard of speakers! I really am looking forward to meeting and hearing Gordon Corrigan again. It's always a pleasure and it will also be a chance for some of you 'Butcher and Bunglers' to see if you're really quite as brave when he's standing right in front of you - moustache all a quiver - as you are when safely crouched down behind your keyboards at home! Alan Wakefield will broaden all of our minds by bringing Salonika to the fore! Taff Gillingham is brilliant and I will never forget his demonstration of rapid Lee Enfield rifle fire that he performed last time I saw him. But for me the highlight this time will be the chance to hear Jack Sheldon who is rarely over here as he lives in France. His books on the German Army are opening up the operational study of the Western Front and I can't wait to hear what he's got to say.

But it's not just the speakers: it's also a great chance to meet friends made on the Forum in the flesh! Is Rock Doctor really a chiselled Greek God? See whether they fit your mental image! A chance to bury internet enmities over a pint of two; a chance perhaps to make new enemies*!!!!! The authors' book stalls and displays sound worth the price of admission slone - with a rare chance to buy signed copies of their various weighty tomes - too right! I know Chris Baker the founder of the GWF is selling and signing his new masterwork on The Battle of Lys while Yvonne Whelpton is selling the Gallipoli Poetry book that I recently much enjoyed - even though it was poetry!!! There will I'm sure be many more!

So what's not to like? Get your arses in gear, get off the fence and make your conference bookings before you're too late and all you're left with is a tear-stained hanky and the thought of what might have been.

Salesman Pete

* Hopefully not too many!!

Hi Pete,

As I'll miss attending your talk in York in a fortnight, I'll be pleased to meet you, the other speakers and forum colleagues in April.

Looking forward to a great day !

A wee bit slow off the mark this week, but I have posted my cheque for the balance today (hopefully it won't take 2 weeks to get there, like it did last time :o ).

Looking forward to meeting up with everyone again - bring your best smiles with you, I shall have my camera with me, and I've even learnt how to use it this year :lol::lol:

Alan

Are you planning to publish a list of attendees nearer the time as you kindly did last year?

Roger

Roger - yes, nearer the time I will post a list of forum members attending (we have quite a few non-forumites coming). Unless of course anyone lets me know they want their presence kept a secret.... :ph34r:

Just read that Chris Bakers' book about the Battle of The Lys will be on sale at the GWF!!! This is superb news and I will totally buy one.biggrin.gif

Can't wait.

Andy - well chuffed

I've heard that Hart chap has a new book about some sideshow or other - he'll sell you one too!

Hi Alan

do you have 2 more spaces available for the conference and dinner please?

Lyn and Keith (Gully Ravine)

Absolutely, Lyn and Keith- I'll send you a PM

Alan

The more the merrier my WW1 library is expanding by the week here.

Out of interest I've even bought 7 volumes of LE PANORAMA DE LA GUERRE that I found in a French antique shop. All in French of course but superb photos and artwork.

Andy

Can I make a suggestion that it might be entertaining to raise a few £'s for charity and/or GWF funds by way of a silent auction at the April conference. Attendees who have something Great War related that they are willing to donate - a book, post-card or whatever - could bring it along and a table of these items could then be created. Perhaps the top items could be distributed to the generous purchasers at the evening dinner.

I am sure that I can find something to bring along - and suspect that many of us could do similar without making too much of a dent in our acquisitions!

I agree this is a good idea - and I know what I would bring!

I bought a book, and exactly one week later I bought the same book...again....

old age I think....

Regards

CGM