Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War Forum Conference and Dinner - fifth speaker announced!

AlanCurragh

I'll be driving up first thing in the morning. Can some confirm if the Tally Ho entrance is on Pershore Road or Edgbaston Road please? (I've checked a few maps and Pershore is shrouded by trees)

You can turn left off the Pershore Road - at least, you could last year!

Keith

Entrance is only off the Pershore Road.

Roger

Smashing, thanks folks. I did have a look at Google Earth but there's trees everywhere and the main Edgbaston Road looked a little too far away when it comes to turnings. See you all tomorrow..... and enjoy!

For those driving, there is lots of free parking on site. Things kick off with Jack Sheldon at 10.30, but feel free to turn up before then for a tea or coffee.

Now we're off to the hotel bar to find Kim and James then down to the OC...

Pals

Not sure if Alan will see this due to his last post, could someone attending tommorrow pass on our apologies, Wendy my better half has just been signed off work for two weeks so cannot travel.

On the postive side that does mean thier will be more lunch for you all, hope you all enjoy yourself.

Malcolm

As I've said elsewhere I won't be attending this time. My wife still isn't well enough to leave. Anyway I tripped on something in the dark last night and took a headlong so with aching ribs and a very dicky knee I probably wouldn't be much company in any case.

Got made redundant last week - still 'its being cheerful that keeps us going'.

Hope you all enjoy it.

• Admin

Hope that Wendy and Centurion feel better soon. Everyone have a great day tomorrow.

Michelle

Hope that Wendy and Centurion feel better soon. Everyone have a great day tomorrow.

Michelle

Seconded - hope you are both up and about again soon.

Seconded - hope you are both up and about again soon.

Thanks for this (and also others who have expressed a similar wish) - I'm not actually down but in about the same pain as about forty odd years ago when Newark's reserve pack cracked my ribs and dislocated my knee the last time I ever played rugby. Funnily enough its the same knee too. I'd not been coming anyway as I'm having to act as a home nurse - perhaps it's fates way of letting me know I made the right decision!

I have just returned from the conference and I have had an absolutely billiant day. I would publically like to thank Alan and Sue for all their hard work in putting it on. I would also like to thank the speakers who delivered exellent and informative pieces of work.

Regards Doug

I have just returned from the conference and I have had an absolutely billiant day. I would publically like to thank Alan and Sue for all their hard work in putting it on. I would also like to thank the speakers who delivered exellent and informative pieces of work.

Regards Doug

Not least of which was you Doug for your moving and heartfelt tribute to Kevin O'Neil.

Best regards,

Ian.

Not least of which was you Doug for your moving and heartfelt tribute to Kevin O'Neil.

Best regards,

Ian.

I'll second that. Nicely done Doug!

A good day, with interesting and informative speakers and pleasant company. Excellent. Many thanks to the organisers for all their hard work.

LST_164

At the risk of being boring, I must also applaud Alan and all his helpers for giving us another fantastic day. The talks were varied, informative and there was an interesting variation in presentation styles (Mr Hart!!! :) ) that all made the day fly past. The Tally Ho! did us proud on the catering front again and their facilities are excellent. It was good to see so many books available and the WFA, Gallipoli and Salonika Campaign Societies had stands, too. There had to be something for everyone.

Here's to No 3!

Keith

I've just got home..................:blink::wacko:

Roger

Terrific day and the sun shone. Many thanks to all concerned. What did we learn?

Jack Sheldon - the Germans were on the Somme too and some of them were bloody good

Alan Wakefield - if you are bored in your Salonika trench have a game with tortoises and there were some big cats that needed shooting

Peter Hart - Field Marshal Hart would not have led the Gallipoli campaign as it would not have taken place because it was bloody stupid

Gordon Corrigan - Joe Public know about a war that did not exist and his great aunt was ugly

Taff Gillingham - our kit was bloody good as a result of the learning curve and we had the best military models

At the risk of being boring, I must also applaud Alan and all his helpers for giving us another fantastic day. The talks were varied, informative and there was an interesting variation in presentation styles (Mr Hart!!! :) ) that all made the day fly past. The Tally Ho! did us proud on the catering front again and their facilities are excellent. It was good to see so many books available and the WFA, Gallipoli and Salonika Campaign Societies had stands, too. There had to be something for everyone.

Here's to No 3!

Keith

I would like to add my thanks for ths comment. Much work goes on behind the scenes to make these things work so well - am looking forward to number 3 already.

Simon

A great day. Many thanks to Alan and Sue for the organisation and to the speakers who were excellent to a man.

Roger

I would also like to thank those who took the time and effort to organise the day which I enjoyed thoroughly.

On the drive home we were reflecting on the presentations and wondered if there was a revionist theme, or a repositioning, emerging from the day. Firstly the German army was really good, secondly we messed about on 'fronts' or campaigns that were of no value and thirdly that the sacrifices made were not that bad, or not as bad as people think, and we should put it all in perspective.

There was much to discuss in the car, the statistical value of using census data to extrapolate a view that we lost less than we think took up some time, was the death of my mates Grt Grandfather at Gallipoli trivialised as PH humorously deconstructed the campaign, if the losses of the war were not, at the time, perceived as greater than they were in reality would we have been holding such a meeting in 2011, why aren't the Gallipolli Assoc publicity posters available as posters to buy ? etc, etc.

Excellent day out, good grub and sunny as well.

Excellent day,

Thanks to Alan and Sue for organising it and to everyone else who helped make it such a great conference. If I remember correctly from last night, March 24, 2012 has been pencilled in for next year's event, put it in your diary now !!!

This was a tremendous event. Very many thanks to Alan & Sue for all their very hard work, to the 5 speakers who gave us all real insights, and to Tally Ho! for their usual efficiency.

Regards to all

Martin

Many thanks to Alan and Sue for organising such a cracking conference in such a great venue.

All five speakers were excellent ...

Regards,

AGWR