Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War Forum Conference and Dinner - fifth speaker announced!

AlanCurragh

So, this meet up in the pub, is anyone planning to eat in the pub/go for a meal afterwards?

We shall be arriving in Birmingham between 3 - 4 pm on Friday (staying at Premier Inn, Hagley Road). We need to eat and want to go to the pub too.

Come on, hurry up and decide :lol: We're going down tomorrow :w00t:

Ayesha and I will be setting off from home after she gets home from work. We plan to get to the pub between 7 and 8, and will be hungry.

The pub does food, I believe, so we could eat and chat at the same time......well, she can, as a mere male, I couldn't multi-task like that!

Bruce

Pub - yes - I will be aiming to arrive about 7.30pm

Eat - yes but I won't be Balti-ing some miles away - either the OC or somewhere close to the OC will do for me

Looks like at least five of us to dine about 7.30 then.

Incidentally, what exactly is the point of Katie Price?

I have yet to find out what she does or has done to merit her apparent fame.

What has she contributed to the betterment of humankind?

Or is she just famous for being famous? An enhanced airhead?

Bruce

Be warned - the OC's can get very busy but there is a separate area for eating. (mind you, us GWF folk might drive a few people away!). The food is good and the choice of real ale absolutely b****y fantastic. I will get there about 7pm. If anyone is there before me, mine is a pint of Purity (brewed fairly locally in Warwickshire) :thumbsup::lol:

Roger

pencil me in for eats as well as drinks. I still remember the sausages from last year, for all the right reasons.

Purity, Roger? Whatever next? :unsure:

cheers Martin B

Looks like at least five of us to dine about 7.30 then.

Bruce

Alan and I (together with respective partners) happen to be staying in the same place, so we are getting a taxi up together. We'll be leaving at about 7.30 pm so will be there just a little bit later. Will you see if you can get a table for us all?

See if we can.....

What is this about sausages?

Bruce

(and the silence about the contribution to humankind of Katie Price confirms my thoughts....)

See you there i.e at the HQ of the Forum Birmingham Pals.

I shall try to get to the Pub for 7pm.

Mark

Mark

If I remember rightly, we were the first last year!

Roger

What is this about sausages?

Bruce

Oh, the OC's is well known for its sausages........

Roger

I will probably be rather later as I doubt if I can get away from work much before 5.00pm. I'll go with the flow on food, probably arriving in time for for a second sitting!

Keith

Mark

If I remember rightly, we were the first last year!

Roger

Hi Roger

Yes I think you remember correctly!

Mark

I fly in quite early (boss has given me an early pass :D) so will probably eat at the OC too. Might try and join in a taxi back to Hagley Road later Kim and Alan if there's room (do they do bigger taxis in England?

Looking forward to a great time.

Jim

Jim

Surely you haven't forgotten you can get 5 in a black cab easily!! Plenty available at the front of Snow Hill Station within a stones throw of the OC's.

Roger

Hi Roger

I thought most of the taxis were cars these days, not the bigger old black things. Shows how often I'm in the UK these days, I'm still expecting to get a pint for £1. :P

I'll have no stone throwing or paint or the like either, I'm coming from a civilized part of Europe thank you.

Jim

Just like to say that should I drunkenly waver at the GWF COnference this Saturday and say that George or Gordon or ALan or Brian are my favourites then I want to make it quite clear and say here and now that Helen and Phil are my only true favourites for picking up my books tonight ready for transport to far off Brum! (Memo to self must buy a car!) Thanks also to Phil A for his kind offer to help! You are all wonderful!!!

Pete

Getting your embarassment in first!

What is more....you still owe me for a day spent clearing up your mess in our mess in 1974!!!

Bruce

Alan

My diary for this weekend (which had filled up months ago with nasty meetings) meant that I had no hope of getting to the conference, and then today a chink of light appeared and it might now be possible for me to be there as the meetings might not take place! (there is a God!) I will, however, not know for certain until Friday afternoon..... please can I be cheeky and ask if it is possible to turn up on the day and pay please? The wife is even keen that I come if I can (that sounds a tad fishy!).

So Alan, is it possible to attend please if I can make it?

Andrew

Andrew - yes, that should be fine - I've got a few spare places

Alan

Regarding public transport, Alan Tucker kindly posted these instructions last year:

The bus to catch from the City Centre is the 45 or 47 both of which go down the Pershore Road with a bus stop just outside the Tally Ho Centre after the lights on the Middle Ring Road. Edgbaston cricket ground to the left.

Arriving by train at New Street or Moor Street the best bus stop is....

From New Street Station exit into New Street. Cross New Street and look for a 45/47 bus stop at the bottom of Corporation Street on the right ahead of you.

From Moor Street follow signs to New Station and look for New Street en route. Leaving Waterstones behind you head towards the Town Hall (but not that far) and spot HSBC on your left before seeing the ramp just past it to New Street Station. Cross the road just before the junction with Corporation Street on the right and on the latter look for a 45/47 bus stop just round the corner.

All,

Enjoy tonight at the OC and sorry I cannot make it but my excuse is clear for all to see in the notices at the base of the homepage!

Ian.

a 365.25:1 chance and I had to "win" the embarrassing birthday lottery!!!

Friends,

I come bearing bad news.

Despite the best efforts of the publishers, and Helen's complete and utter.... success

in collecting them, there will be a range of volumes from the esteemed author PM Hart available

tomorrow. :whistle:

Mind you, Peter affected that he couldn't remember who I was; all I can say is, the London Forumites meetings at the Pineapple are convivial; I only hadn't realised quite how convivial... :thumbsup:

Motorways notwithstanding, see you all tomorrow.