Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War Forum Conference and Dinner - fifth speaker announced!

AlanCurragh

KOF - last's years event went pretty well, so hope you can make it

Alan

You're doing yourself a serious disservice, Alan. It was bloody marvellous.

Keith

Too kind, Keith :blush:

I'll be contacting attendees shortly asking who is staying for dinner - in the meantime, still space available if anyone is interested - here are the details:

The conference will be at the Tally Ho Conference Centre in Birmingham (very near Edgbaston and the University), on 2nd April 2011 with the same format as last year - five speakers, starting at 10.30, finishing at 5.30, followed by dinner. The speakers are -

Peter Hart - Helles - the real fight for Gallipoli

Jack Sheldon - Soden's Success: The 26th Reserve Division on the Somme

Alan Wakefield - Mountains, Mules & Malaria - Soldiering with the British Salonika Force

Gordon Corrigan - The Myths and Realities of the Western Front

Taff Gillingham - Development of the British Infantry Equipment of the Great War

The cost will be the same as the event last year, £25 per person, covering the conference, lunch and tea and coffee. Dinner will be approximately £20.

As with last year's event, pals will be more than welcome to bring along books to sell, or any display material you have.

Please can you let me know you want to attend, by the payment of a £10 deposit. You can make your deposit either via a cheque or by using the Paypal link - details of both are here, and can also be accessed by the link in my signature -

http://www.eviltaxman.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/gwf/donations.htm

Any questions, please let me know

Many thanks

Alan

Definitely hoping to be there myself, some work commitments in early April permitting. I'll confirm one way or the other in March.

Charles

I'm attaching a leaflet for the conference, put together with help from Polly, graphic designer, and wife of a certain P Hart!

Please feel free to print it off and distribute it to anyone you think might be interested in coming along

Alan

2ndGWFC.pdf

I'd put Jack's mugshot at the top of the list rather than Peter's so people aren't put off.

but to see what Alan looks like you've got to come along -- or will he talk from behind a screen? Need to know what I'm paying for

cheers Martin B

Alan,

Like the idea and the look of the poster but possibly a casual reader may well infer that the meal was a part of the event, not an optional extra. The poster dosn't make it clear. Just my opinion of course.

Roy

I'm with you there, Roy - just needs that little tweak to make it perfect.

Alan,

Thanks for working up the poster. Most informative.

Could we email it to all Pals who have provided an email address? Please excuse me if this has already been done or is prohibited in some way.

I think the "£25 for the day and £20 for the dinner" details say all that is needed myself.

Looking forward to the event itself.

Thanks again for the work you are putting in to this.

Regards Ian

I'm with Ian - I think it's reasonably clear that the day & the dinner are separate - there are prices for each.

Brian

Howdoo

This sounds great!, deposit on the waybiggrin.gif

Regards

AndyR

Already paid deposit for the Conference, but please book me in for dinner as well, as I'll be staying in B'ham that night.

Thanks

Edwin

LST 164 and myself will be there for the conference but not the dinner - have just dropped £50.00 into the basket.

Clive - you owe me £25.00!!

Thanks

Simon

Many thanks, everyone, for payments and expressions of interest. Expect an email about balance payments and dinner shortly.....

Change to a family event in my diary means I can now attend after all. Deposit just paid. Will attend Dinner too, please. Not yet sure whether I will be staying over in Birmingham or travelling home.

Thanks again - and a reminder that anyone who wants to bring along books to sell, or a display of some sort, is more than welcome

I have received my email giving details of the evening meal.

I do hope the menu stays the same, it sounds absolutely yummy and I'm hard pressed to decide what to go for :o

Cheque will be in the post very shortly Mr Curragh :D

Just a reminder to anyone wondering about staying for the evening. It was a lovley meal last year and really added to the whole day, I'd thoroughly recommend staying if you possibly can.

Alan,

When is the last date upon which orders for Dinner will be accepted?

John - last year I think I confirmed the numbers for dinner about two weeks before - so plenty of time

Balance just paid, sorry can't stay for dinner.

Roy

If I can make it, fancy sharing a bag of chips on the way home Roy?

Your plaice or mine? :D

Good grief!

What sort of Forum have I stumbled into?

:hypocrite:

Bruce

Deposit sent, just hope fate doesn't intervene like last year!

Thanks for all the cheques that have come in over the last few days - still plenty of space for anyone who wants to come along

Alan