Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Home for battered memorial sought

Medic7922

Some one PLEASE tell me they think I have got it and we have solved the riddle !!!

June beat you on the previous page!

Well done on the detail though. Great work by all.

I would just like to add a well done to June who had the bright idea of looking at the UKNIWM list which indicated that this particular memorial was missing.

Myrtle

Absolutely , June cracked it.

Thought June's post had been overlooked until I reached this page! Well done to all.

Have had a look on the Salford Forum thread and further back (7/3/09) is further discussion on the CWS works at Vere Street. The gentleman who worked there wrote the following

"THE WORKSHOP HAS LONG SINCE BEEN DEMOLISHED ALL THE SURROUNDING TERRACED HOUSES GONE,REPLACED BY A MODERN LIGHT INDUSTRIAL ESTATE.

ON PART OF THE OLD VERE STREET SITE THE C.W.S. HAS STILL RETAINED A NEW STYLE MODERN OFFICE BUILDING, WHICH I BELIEVE IS A COMPUTER CENTRE. THE REST OF THE SITE IS A INDUSTRIAL COMPANY WORKSHOP,NAMED SAFELINE METAL TOLIDO,WHO MAKE METAL DETECTORS FOR INDUSTRY"

If I am reading this correctly, the CWS has a new(ish) building on part of the old site, so a possibile home for the memorial (if they promise not to abandon it again!).

Yes, if the CWS have a building close to the original site of the old shopfitting works that would be an ideal place for the memorial's new home.

From my point of view, this was a good team effort but June put the ball in the net with I think an assist from Steve Marsdin and Salfordian who made the first CWS connections. Please forgive me if I have got this wrong. There was undoubtedly a lot of good work going on in the background e.g Mandy with her important census confirmations of the trades of several men.

A very well done to all concerned, the memorial featured on our local bbc north west tonight program last night,they were asking for any information and also featured a list of the names on their website.

Just out of interest the cws at chaigley was mentioned,my grandfather (maternal) lived in clitheroe and worked there, it was a dairy and also a pig farm, one of the buildings still survive and has been converted into apartments, a large stone with cws on is still visible in the centre of the building.

once again well done, a great result !,

kind regards,

John.

As part on my ongoing project .. I am copying/typing up all biographical articles in the Salford City Reporter (SCR), have 95% of 1917 & 1918 copies, along with half of 1915 so far. When I have finished all the research/proofing for our forthcoming Irlam & Cadishead's part in Great War book, co-authored with Pete Thomas (about 3 months) then I will be back on track and hope in the next 2 yrs to have a website covering all those WW1 servicemen listed in the SCR.

If anyone wants a look up let me know. Thank Neil

As part on my ongoing project .. I am copying/typing up all biographical articles in the Salford City Reporter (SCR), have 95% of 1917 & 1918 copies, along with half of 1915 so far. When I have finished all the research/proofing for our forthcoming Irlam & Cadishead's part in Great War book, co-authored with Pete Thomas (about 3 months) then I will be back on track and hope in the next 2 yrs to have a website covering all those WW1 servicemen listed in the SCR.

If anyone wants a look up let me know. Thank Neil

A fantastic result achieved so very quickly, well done to all concerned.

Hopefully the result of all this effort will mean a more fitting home for this memorial.

They are not forgotten :poppy:

Ian.

Well done to all !

A good example of the GWF actively furthering remembrance. Hopefully the BBC will develop the story as it would make an interesting piece for the wider public in the run up to 11 November.

No doubt the present day CWS will want to help ensure that the plaque is re-mounted in a fitting place.

I think that June and the rest of the posters on here should be proud. We solved a problem within hours, just by bouncing ideas off each other. But I think it proves the point of how dedicated we all are and we deserved a mention on War memorials trust site and hopefully any publicity the GWF gets may help attract new members or donations.

June beat you on the previous page!

Well done on the detail though. Great work by all.

I noted only this morning, so BIG sorry June if I encroached on your idea. Like I said bouncing ideas off each other helped. And someone said Clitheroe, which got me to find either The Oddfellows and the CWS diary, which go shopfitters and joiners and June to find the CWS in Salford. So Big well done to June, but as said before well done one and all.

I have just spoken to the BBC and it would appear that we were pipped at the post by a local Manchester historian who of course used the same methodology/info as ourselves. So he will get the interview! If you are in the North West keep an eye on the local news. Well I tried!

Apparently the CWS are embarassed that the memorial got "lost" in the first place.

If anyone comes up with any additional info about the story, the BBC man dealing with it is :-

stuart.flinders@bbc.co.uk

He said he would be interested in knowing more - I smell a local TV 30 minute special here so you local guys go to it for 15 minutes of fame!

I think we will eventually see a good outcome here given that the CWS is proud of its heritage and that is what matters.

I have just spoken to the BBC and it would appear that we were pipped at the post by a local Manchester historian who of course used the same methodology/info as ourselves. So he will get the interview! If you are in the North West keep an eye on the local news. Well I tried!

Apparently the CWS are embarassed that the memorial got "lost" in the first place.

If anyone comes up with any additional info about the story, the BBC man dealing with it is :-

He said he would be interested in knowing more - I smell a local TV 30 minute special here so you local guys go to it for 15 minutes of fame!

I think we will eventually see a good outcome here given that the CWS is proud of its heritage and that is what matters.

We have pictures of some of the men - I think we should see what we can do. Maybe the GWF need a press liason officer !

The BBC would like some pictures of the men for tonight's show as long as there are no copyright problems. Could anyone with the pictures consider emailing them to Stuart Flinders

Regards Ian

I sent the BBC that picture of Peter Hullard who is on the memorial. The BBC has emailled back and I think there will be a big feature on the memorial tonight. I have mentioned all the work of the GWF so hope we all get a mention.

The Beeb say that the Co-op are very embarrassed by the whole thing, but when you look at the UKNIWM, there are a number of CWS and Co-op memorials missing. Wonder where these went.....

I think I can get BBC NW on the Freesat so will tune in!

Anyone else who has pictures please consider sending them to the BBC.

Regards Ian

http://www.bbc.co.uk/northwesttonight/

If you go on this site later tonight you can get a re run of the programme. If you go on now you should be able to see last nights feature on the memorial

One thing I would still like to confirm is why Clitheroe is so important in the story? Was it a major recruiting centre for some reason? Was there a CWS shopfitting premises there?

This is a write up of the Kingsman commemorated on the memorial (there may be some transcription errors owing to poor handwriting on originals).

CROSS, Private, GEORGE, 19208. King's Liverpool Regiment. 16th November 1917. Soldiers' Plot. 184 (Screen Wall). (Moston (St. Joseph) Roman Catholic Cemetery - United Kingdom)

EDIT: Please if anyone uses this transcription please credit it to the Museum of Liverpool -

Born Audley Blackburn. Son of Martha Cross of 4 Willington St, Cheetham Hill, Manchester. Enlisted Manchester 8/9/14. Aged 19 years 7 months at enlistment, address 4 Willington St, Cheetham Hill, occupation joiner/woodcutting machinist, height 5' 3", weight 104lbs with good physical development, complexion sallow, eyes brown, hair dark brown, religion Roman Catholic. To France 4/9/15. To Salonica 29/10/15. Admitted 67 Field Ambulance 22/12/15 (rheumatism). Joined Advanced Depot at Karaissi 3/3/16. Admitted 28 General Hospital (Salonica) 28/8/16 with 'nephritis'. Invalided to UK 29/9/16 arriving 11/10/16 on board HS Warilda and later HS Brittania suffering from malaria contracted in August and posted to Depot. Admitted 5 London General Hospital 11/10/16 to 12/4/17 - (chronic nephritis - malaria). Discharged 11/4/17 owing to illness - aged 22 years 77 days - address 5 Oak Rd, The Cliff, Lower Broughton. He was described as a man of very good character. (Soldiers Papers - Ancestry)

1901 Census Class: RG13; Piece: 3767; Folio: 63; Page: 39.

George Cross

Address : 54 Pendine St, Manchester

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1895

Relation: Son

Father's Name: James Cross, 30, wood machinist, b. Preston

Mother's Name: Martha M Cross, 28, b. Blackburn

Where born: Blackburn

Jane Cross 7, b. Blackburn

James Cross 3, b. Padiham

Arthur M Cross 1, b. Padiham

Albert Cross 2 months, b. Manchester