Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Home for battered memorial sought

Medic7922

A charity is looking for the original home of a battered war memorial found abandoned in a scrapyard in Greater Manchester.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/8324663.stm

Thanks for posting this. Do you know if the names on the Memorial are or could be readily available? I am sure that given the collective brainpower on the Forum the mystery of where it came from could be solved.

Best regards,

Ian.

Could well be a generic memorial associated with a factory or perhaps a church or working mens club - no insignia associated with a town or district.

There is certainly an Irish Catholic association with at least some of the men - I found 2 listed on the CWGC for Moston St Josephs RC Cem. But I have to go out!

Various place names - Cheetham, Upper and lower Broughton, Whitefield, Harpurhey, Chorlton on Medlock

It needs some more work on SDGW an the CWGC - I am sure clues would emerge. John Hartley will be able to help, no doubt.

We await John's arrival to enlighten us - I wonder if any of the others are known to John - it would seem quite likely.

Obviously the memorial is mixed in religious terms - so an area or factory would seem favourite.

Sorry Garry, you are of course quite correct. I couldn't see JH's subtle pastel shading at the angle the screen was at.

Interestingly , Pte Withers appears to be a Methodist amongst a goodly number of Catholics - so the memorial is certainly not to only one religion.

Regards Ian

I would commend his thread to Pals hoping that we can collectively shed some light on the question of where this memorial came from.

It's just the sort of conundrum that this Forum is so good at tackling.

My Guess being that I am local to where it was found it that the memorial was from a factory in Trafford Park. Large companies like Brooke Bond, Kelloggs, Turner brothers, Avro, Westinghouse Electric Company etc have been there since WWI. So I would say there is a place to start.

A Trafford Park factory sounds like a good suggestion - any ideas how we can nail down which one? Memorial books? Any clues from the battalions represented?

A Trafford Park factory sounds like a good suggestion - any ideas how we can nail down which one? Memorial books? Any clues from the battalions represented?

An idea would be to see if we could find any details of where any of thes emen worked prior to WWI. If a few worked at one place, that would seem the place it's from. Trafford Park was the biggest Industrial Estate in Europe at one time, and I can remember in the 70's and 80's lots of it being knocked down. A massive factory was Turner Brothers - an Asbestos factory and my Gran worked there circa WWII, so I assume it was around between the wars.

Yes, I am sure we can get some trades from the 1911 Census - anyone with unlimited access that can look for some of them?

Has anyone got a list of names? The link to the names keep crashing on me

Guys,

Have just tried to transcribe the memorial and I will attempt to put it on-line on the www.roll-of-honour.com web site to see if anybody in the wider world knows anything. Should be on-line in the Lancashire Section later today.

Guys,

Have just tried to transcribe the memorial and I will attempt to put it on-line on the www.roll-of-honour.com web site to see if anybody in the wider world knows anything. Should be on-line in the Lancashire Section later today.

Martin

Let us know when its on your site.

Steve

Good luck with the transcription. I can read a good number of the surnames but the initials can be problematical - some of the detail is a bit wayward as usual e.g the Royal Engineer is a Royal Fusilier.

One thing that is becoming obvious as I research the names is that many of them enlisted in Clitheroe. I am now getting the feeling we are dealing with a company that had several depots, one of which was in Clitheroe. I'll put the detail on-line later and ese what everyine else thinks.

One thing that is becoming obvious as I research the names is that many of them enlisted in Clitheroe. I am now getting the feeling we are dealing with a company that had several depots, one of which was in Clitheroe. I'll put the detail on-line later and ese what everyine else thinks.

Hmmm. Could be one of 10s of Mills !

THe details are now on-line at:

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Lancashire/U...Manchester.html

Having analysed the birth, enlisted and resident locations, appart from Manchester that will obviously occur, the main places involved with these men are Clitheroe, Pendleton and Salford. Does that help with tracking down the company branches/depots?