Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

This is DISGUSTING

Seadog

Unless they're planning to demolish the university itself....

I can just imagine Bill Oddie's views on the subject having seen him a couple of years ago on Who Do You Think You Are?

Cheers

Al

Sewage contributed by several persons, amount contributed by each not being sufficient to cause a nuisance.

The correction of that infraction listed in Dickens's Dictionary of London in 1879 could be part of the job description of our moderators! :lol:

Edinburgh has a 12 hour floral clock.

Don't they have a noonday gun (to reprimand each inmate, who's in late)?

I bet hes the most famous person on A.R.S.E at the moment! A night out in Aldershot is right out!

He'll have to shave that silly afro or grow a Beckham beard. He wont be able to walk around Sheffield with out armed security!

Don't they have a noonday gun (to reprimand each inmate, who's in late)?

Nope. They have a one o'clock gun to frighten the American tourists.

Papalaka papalaka papalaka boo.

And machine gunned the survivors in the water, inadequate punishment for having threatened to delay you I know but there you go - boiling oil is no longer available - human rights gone mad!

Good Job he didn't water Centurians Roses then.

Alan

... I also agree that he will be of great value to the country studying as he is sports technology which we desperately require more of...

Well Done Lad!

I fully support your efforts

Norman

(On medication)

Norman

Your sarcasm will come back and bite you on the bum when this lad helps Team GB acheive glory in 2012...and to be fair as the discipline of sports technology will no doubt inlcude the collection of urine samples then he has already shown an apitude in this area

Reply to my e-mail received 19th October 2009 from Nick Clegg MP

Anticipating a positive result.

Norman

Dear Mr

Many thanks for your email of 16th October, concerning Sheffield Hallam University student Philip Laing and his recent drunken antics.

I have now been contacted by a number of constituents regarding Mr Laing's behavior and I would like to re-iterate that the way he conducted himself is clearly unacceptable. Moreover, I note that he is due to appear before the Magistrates in Sheffield later this month charged with outraging public decency.

I have however written to Sheffield Hallam University, highlighting your concerns and your desire to see appropriate action taken against the individual. I will of course write back to you as soon as I receive a response. In the meantime, I would be grateful if you could provide me with you home address so that I may forward any reply on to you.

Yours sincerely

Nick Clegg MP

And I wonder which bit of the fence Mr Clegg will choose not to sit on? Not exactly a rining endorsement of anything: "clearly unacceptable" indeed, but did Mr Clegg have an opinion on the real problem - the disgusting culture which creates problems like this; the company which appears to run these repulsive events; or even the photographers trawling for salacious stories (a young man urinating on a war memorial is much more photogenic than yet another drunken teenaged girl).

Or maybe that wasn't the question: righteous indignation, indeed.

What, might I ask, is a 'positive result'?

I would imagine that, even if the court and the university took no further action at all, the leaking eejit will have suffered enough indignity and will have learned a valuable lesson. I'm not sure what that nice Mr Clegg hopes to accomplish.

A vote

keith

Quite a bit has been said about this topic. Some are furious (like I) with Phil. Some see it as Bad, but he was blind drunk. Just to add that on Facebook there has been a site set up to praise him. Now I assume these people are not drunk and thier views are of "Sane Students"

These are some:

One friend described his actions as: “The most amazing thing i have ever seen...Im very proud!! LEGEND!!”.

Another wrote: “hahaha yes Phil You funny b****** quality mate”.

Has society gone so bad that someone who p*sses on a war memorial becomes a "Legend". I appreciate that Phil Laing has apologised But in a year where many have died in Afghanistan and in the year when Henry and Harry died, I would have hoped that Poppies, memorials, and Vets would get more respect.

Again, I respect that these are my views.

What, might I ask, is a 'positive result'?

Of course you can ask Steven. A positive result for me would be the instant expelling of this waste of space from the Uni together with a long community service judgment from the magistrates. I note the latest post from Salfordian in which he gives details from Facebook, these comments beggar belief made as they are at a time when our countrymen and women are being brought home from Afghanistan having given their young lives for this nation.

Regards

Norman

I would agree that anyone making those comments deserve - well, contempt, however young and foolish they may be.

I always give Vets respect though: the blue scrub tops and stethoscopes warrant it ;)

II always give Vets respect though: the blue scrub tops and stethoscopes warrant it ;)

May I ask what this means?.

Regards

Norman

I suspect Mr Broomfield is punning on the two different meanings of the word "vet"

Indeed I am. I work with vets (as in veterinary surgeons), and - a personal affectation - prefer the word "Veteran" for veteran, or "Vet" for veterinary surgeon.

And I would (obviously) disagree with Norman about what punishment young mr laing should receive, but I would wholeheartedly agree that the utter numpties who post on Facebook making some form of hero out of him are just that - numpties.

I'm happy to agree to disagree on the future career of the original miscreant, though. ;)

This young man's "bladder voiding" escapade seems to have attracted a lot of outraged hyperbole. What is puzzling me is why there hasn't been an outcry at the description of Sheffield Hallam as a university. I mean, for goodness' sake........... :lol:

On the subject of young men "in the grip of the grape" I recently managed to get hold of some info on a local young officer who was cashiered, his humiliation being made complete by the publication of the Court Martial verdict in the London Gazette. Apparently he was under the influence of the demon drink in public once too often - on the last occasion at Caterham Railway Station - and his regiment decided to dispense with his services. No doubt under extreme pressure to atone for his sins and restore the good name of the family he went on to re-enlist as a private in the Cheshire Regiment, got sent to Mesopotamia, was captured, and died as a prisoner-of-war. I reckon he paid a harsh enough price for his errant ways.

This young man's "bladder voiding" escapade seems to have attracted a lot of outraged hyperbole. What is puzzling me is why there hasn't been an outcry at the description of Sheffield Hallam as a university. I mean, for goodness' sake........... :lol:

...................Isn't that the one that used to be a swimming pool?

Everything is a university today........my old poly is a uni., the local technical college is a uni, or part of it. It is the same old stuff dressed up to sound good.

A mate of mine came home from college a few years ago, when someone asked him where he was at, he said 'Cambridge' and with his accent and well to do background, everyone thought the great seat of learning. Not the local Tech. Coll. in Cambridge.

I let it ride for the laugh value and the looks he got :P

All the schools have had the same treatment, put a posh name on the sign in front of the local comp., throw a bit of cash at it, and WHALLAAH!

A Language or Business College or whatever they want to call them.

Laughable really.

DW

"This young man's "bladder voiding" escapade seems to have attracted a lot of outraged hyperbole. What is puzzling me is why there hasn't been an outcry at the description of Sheffield Hallam as a university. I mean, for goodness' sake........... "

Now! Now!

:rolleyes:

Kath.

You mean just like these guy's were made an example of?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-52...oreign-bar.html

Looks like it didn't work.

This behavior cannot ever be justified by whoever and wherever it is committed. If as a society we decide that yes well its always happened its just squaddies , louts, students etc having a good time then we are going down a dangerous road and one which we are part-way down already. In my opinion it is no excuse to throw your hands up and say well boys will be boys etc, no the authorities must act and be seen to be acting whether they be civil or military and they should and must take the appropriate action needed. I say again in this case expel the lout from UNI and make an example of him so that this standard of behavior is seen as not acceptable in decent society

Regards

Norman

From Sheffield's more respected paper:

http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/news/M...eets.5756190.jp

'In a joint statement, Sheffield and Hallam University students' unions said they "do not condone commercially-organised bar crawls due to negative impact on student welfare".'

Kath.