Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

This is DISGUSTING

Seadog

The way some of you are going on, you'd think this lad had invaded Belgium and bayoneted a few babies - he's an idiotic Pratt who can't handle his beer, and will undoubtedly suffer because of it. But his punishment should be proportionate - I've just told my son (22 years old), who attends Sheffield Hallam on a part-time basis, that if he sees this Pratt about the place to clip his ear'ole and say it's from me, which is precisely what he’d have got if I'd seen him doing it in the flesh so to speak. I would not have rang the police, nor bothered to write to the Uni demanding retribution.

How do you lot who scream blue-murder about such things, demanding not much short of transportation, think we actually beat old Jerry twice - by sending goody-goody model citizens to do the business against the 20th century's biggest thugs of all? Why act like outraged Drama Queens - he's apologised unreservedly and doesn’t appear to be a habitual thug, so give the lad a metaphorical clip round the ear and smile to yourselves when he skulks off in shame.

Cheers-salesie.

I believe the MP for Sheffield Hallam is pretty high-profile. Wonder what he'll say?

For myself, I think Mr Laing has behaved like a drunken pillock. But then I know I have in the past, too, so I'm casting no stones.

Steven, thanks for reminding me about the MP. E-mail now sent to Nick requesting action from the authorities etc.

Regards

Norman

QUOTE (Phil_B @ Oct 16 2009, 01:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don`t think the presence or absence of malice is pertinent, Nigel. Do you forgive drunk drivers because thay had no malice? If this lad can`t control himself when drunk, he shouldn`t get drunk.

On your first point, I disagree, Phil. If the student had gone out with the intent of urinating on the memorial then he would, in my opinion, fall into the same category as those who go out with the intent of daubing headstones with slogans or to break them. This lad went out with the intent of getting well and truly plastered, which he did successfully, the defiling of the war memorial was incidental. The targetting of the wreaths was, in my mind, done simply because they were there. Did he know what they were?

I have no idea, but I do know from experience of giving presentations on the subjects of the Remembrance and/or the Great War, many of his age group are entirely ignorant of the meaning of the poppy.

On your second point, well, it doesn't warrant a response other than to say the two offences are a world apart, as is seen by the difference in sentencing when the two offences are tried and proved.

Your third point, I agree completely.

Cheers,

Nigel

I believe the MP for Sheffield Hallam is pretty high-profile. Wonder what he'll say?

Hmm, can't resist this.....

How about 'Look on the Brightside'?

I'll get my coat....

Nigel

Steven, thanks for reminding me about the MP. E-mail now sent to Nick requesting action from the authorities etc.

Regards

Norman

That should do the job Norman. You e-mail Nick. Don't you think the lad's got enough on his plate without bringing the LDs into it? :lol:

Al

:lol::lol::lol:

While you're at it, you could email Nick Winterton. He's the MP for Macclesfield, where this lad had his education. Tell him the teachers there aren't doing their jobs properly. Demand that the school is closed forthwith. Or something.

I don't suppose The King's School will be flaunting this particular alumnus at their Open Day. Curious, though, that other independently educated prats can get drunk on champagne to the point at which each has his own vomit-binbag, wreck antique glass windows, ruin Oxfordshire pubs, trash restaurants, damage valuable musical instruments, etc, and it's seen as rather jaunty larks among the super-rich. This one is being viciously pilloried nationwide.

King's costs just under £9k a year, by the way, plus a few bits and bobs.

Gwyn

Kings costs just under £9k a year, by the way, plus a few bits and bobs.

Gwyn

I hope the father of this Laing chappie sees that his £45k+ for education wasn't wasted.

:lol: If he has a few bob kicking about, it maybe worthwhile watching what happens to Mr. Laing junior.

I dare say a few well directed emails would work wonders.

Dick

I am just astounded that this thread was not about this utterly disgraceful Daily Mail article

Vile stuff. I understand the complaints to the Press Complaints Commission are heading for record numbers, mine among them. It has offended so many people for so many reasons. This is just one of them:

Healthy and fit 33-year-old men do not just climb into their pyjamas and go to sleep on the sofa, never to wake up again. Whatever the cause of death is, it is not, by any yardstick, a natural one. Let us be absolutely clear about this.

Oh yes they do, Ms Moir. Consider yourself lucky that you have never suffered such a loss.

I'm not even going to start on the rest of it.

That this kind of ignorant bile can be published upsets me far more than the random trangression of one drunken young lad.

Complete and utter bilge. It is vile in its most odious [added after post]. The Sun is no better, and The Guardian seems to have lost its moral compass as far as stirring and jumping on the bandwagon goes. Comment: The Daily Mail writer's rant about Boyzone star is a gratuitous piece of gay-bashing. It is, but the Editor might want to have a word with Bidisha about sexism and the Subtle Art of Misogyny. According to Bidisha only 18 of the 65 artists and writers who have entered tomorrow's Poetry Marathon at the Serpentine Gallery are women. There's no mention of the female-dominated Orange Prize in her rant about how 'ubiquitous and automatic' misogyny is. I'll stick to the Great War Forum for my news in future. ;)

Al

The appaling article in the Mail should not surprise anyone. Its par for the course.

As far as the stupid boy from Sheffield is concerned; if we are not to introduce the application of tar and feathers, I suggest that a period of calm reflection should apply. His action was offensive to say the least, but should be considered in the context of criminal damage, and related to the other crimes which the law treats as relatively minor in the case of first time offenders. If he had broken a window while drunk, or "captured" a street sign, he would probably not now be facing calls for ritual disembowelling. He is chastened, and I hope that the various authorities, including the university address the behaviour proportionately.

I am however interested in the photographer - It would be disgraceful indeed for example if he helped to set up this scene. It rather seems as if he/she was more interested in money that in preventing the action. I can't help feeling that there is more to this incident than meets the eye. The gutter press have been known to create their stories in the past.

That comment is not to excuse the young idiot. I suspect that he has already learned a lesson, and would rather expect him to be performing some hours of community service around Sheffield for a while to come. This should not however be the end to his career.

Keith

well said, and who knows what the lad may go on to in life. everybody deserves a second chance no matter what the crime. its not something to be any proud of, but lets hope he gets some sense and uses his uni education to achive something in life.

mike.

• Admin

I'm sure this student is not the first to urinate on a war memorial in a drunken state, it is just that someone took a photograph of him doing so and it has found its way to the national press.

Michelle

Yes I completely agree and I have totally changed my view. In fact I think this upstanding young citizen should be rewarded for his valiant efforts in managing to direct such a copious amount of urine with precision onto the memorial and in particular the poppy wreaths as he did. I also agree that he will be of great value to the country studying as he is sports technology which we desperately require more of. I hope therefore that he is given a soft pat on the head by the magistrates and a glowing testimonial from the Uni.

Well Done Lad!

I fully support your efforts

Norman

(On medication)

Mr. Morse wrote the Bible long before he got around to his tome on the Sherwood Foresters. If you see a Gideon Bible inscribed, "Best wishes from the author" it is probably because he stayed in the same hotel room as the one you are in.

I resemble that remark

I do have some signed copies left Mr 1052 if you would like a copy. I have also re-written the king James version and renamed it the King Steve's version :lol:

Spare a thought for this man, killed at 2nd Passchendaele in one of the worst battles of that dreadful campaign. He was the one whose memorial cross was urinated on.

Name: IEVERS, EDWIN

Initials: E

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Northumberland Fusiliers

Unit Text: 1st/7th Bn

Date of Death: 26/10/1917

Service No: 205130

Additional information: Son of E and A Ievers, of Ballyanne, New Ross, Co Wexford, Husband of Gertrude Ievers, of 58, Ridley St, Southwick, Sunderland.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 19 to 23 and 162.

Memorial: TYNE COT MEMORIAL

In this day and age when so many terrible things happen - children abused and murdered by their parents; innocent bystanders stabbed and beaten, and the elderly raped in their own homes, I think a sense of proportion is called for. This may be distasteful, but hardly a hanging offence.

Sue

Your right Sue, it should be the offending appendage hacked off offence. :lol:

You lot still whingeing about this :D

No - as my post makes perfectly clear I have been convinced by the arguments put forward by many posters for example:-

It was not his fault

He did not know what he was doing

The Daily Mail is a Rag

The photo was a setup

Carnage are to blame

This is what "freshers do"

Lots of people have urinated on war memorials

This one just happened to be photographed

He has apologized

The defiling of the memorial was incidental

The poppy wreaths just happened to be there

How do you think we beat old jerry twice

What a load of froth (well that is true)

He will learn from it

The student is clearly mortified by his behavior

A sense of proportion is called for

Etc

Who could not be convinced of this lads innocence, he was so obviously a victim.

Norman :D

No doubt some obscure nonsense will ordain that prevention of such intolerable behaviour may be infringing human rights.

RESPECT in the UK. What has happened to it?

Sorry am I missing something here I thought this thread was about a poor innocent lad caught urinating over a WW1 War Memorial not Boyzone whoever or whatever they are.

Norman