Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

This is DISGUSTING

Seadog

Since we are on the theme of disgusting and stupid drunken behaviour by students and squaddies etc, I feel that it would be unfair to miss out the fair-sex, Those of you who can pluck up enough courage to click on this link to the SUN yes the SUN newspaper will not regret doing so. Go on you know you want too!.

Click here.

Norman

*Warning those of a nervous disposition are advised NOT to look*

Since we are on the theme of disgusting and stupid drunken behaviour by students and squaddies etc, I feel that it would be unfair to miss out the fair-sex, Those of you who can pluck up enough courage to click on this link to the SUN yes the SUN newspaper will not regret doing so. Go on you know you want too!.

Click here.

Norman

*Warning those of a nervous disposition are advised NOT to look*

Norman, There is a Health and Safety issue here. That poor lass could trip over those undergarments and scuff her knees. Its akin to that binding you see on boxes. I hope she got home safely.

Steve as usual we can always depend on you to make a considered and thoughtful contribution to the subject. Of course there were health and safety implications in this most unfortunate and potentially dangerous incident. However we must consider whether the garment was “fit for purpose”. Many of you will be familiar with the Sales of Goods Act 1979 and I quote:

Is the item Fit for Purpose

That’s a legitimate claim as long as you are using the item for the purpose for which it was intended. This is the principle of fitness for purpose. There is no point claiming that paint thinner has had adverse effects if it is not being used as paint thinner! Similarly, if you are commissioning the manufacture of a product and do not specify the purposes for which it will be used you will have no recourse if it fails to live up to your expectations.

Regrettably although the example deals with paint thinners I believe that it clarifies matters as the young lady was indeed using the item (Undergarment) for the purpose for which it (they) was (were) intended. The failure of this item (Elastic) could have caused injury and I am heartened by the Sun’s appeal for details of the young lady as they obviously have concerns for her welfare.

Regards

Norman

Steve as usual we can always depend on you to make a considered and thoughtful contribution to the subject. Of course there were health and safety implications in this most unfortunate and potentially dangerous incident. However we must consider whether the garment was “fit for purpose”. Many of you will be familiar with the Sales of Goods Act 1979 and I quote:

Is the item Fit for Purpose

That’s a legitimate claim as long as you are using the item for the purpose for which it was intended. This is the principle of fitness for purpose. There is no point claiming that paint thinner has had adverse effects if it is not being used as paint thinner! Similarly, if you are commissioning the manufacture of a product and do not specify the purposes for which it will be used you will have no recourse if it fails to live up to your expectations.

Regrettably although the example deals with paint thinners I believe that it clarifies matters as the young lady was indeed using the item (Undergarment) for the purpose for which it (they) was (were) intended. The failure of this item (Elastic) could have caused injury and I am heartened by the Sun’s appeal for details of the young lady as they obviously have concerns for her welfare.

Regards

Norman

If only the Sun had contacted the GWF first. We could have told them that the young ladies "Wardrobe Malfunction" could have been caused by two problems. Rubber Blight (Fusicladium macrosporum) is a pesky fungus that could have cause her Knicker elastic to perish. Or she could have been on one of those "Lose 15 stones in 12 hours" Diets you see on the internet and she shrank so much her duderoonies could not keep up (in many ways)......

Steve you have made some valid and not altogether implausible points. Let me say however what would cause such an immediate and catastrophic failure of the support material as shown in the excellent photo. The fungus of course would as we all know work in exceedingly long timescales and in the later stages of disintegration the effects could not have been ignored.

The diet theory can be discounted for the garment was initially selected and installed on the person without I presume any sensation of what may I call, “slippage”. Having spent years of research and not inconsiderable sums of money in investigating this phenomenon I can categorically and without prejudice clearly and concisely state without fear or favour that I have not the slightest idea of how the material malfunction occurred but I am determined to pursue this subject until an answer is finally found.

Thank you

Norman

Steve you have made some valid and not altogether implausible points. Let me say however what would cause such an immediate and catastrophic failure of the support material as shown in the excellent photo. The fungus of course would as we all know work in exceedingly long timescales and in the later stages of disintegration the effects could not have been ignored.

The diet theory can be discounted for the garment was initially selected and installed on the person without I presume any sensation of may I call, “slippage”. Having spent years of research and not inconsiderable sums of money in investigating this phenomenon I can categorically and without prejudice clearly and concisely state without fear or favour that I have not the slightest idea of how the material malfunction occurred but I am determined to pursue this subject until an answer is finally found.

Thank you

Norman

I feel so stupid now. Thank you Norman for showing me the error of my eager ways !

Steve please do not feel in any way “stupid”, as you of all people should be aware that research into some of life’s imponderable and to us mere mortals “Great Questions” must for the moment remain unanswered. Why for instance is there ALWAYS a teaspoon remaining in the washing-up bowl when you have no recollection of placing one there to start with? And why is Bruce Forsyth still on TV? Against these great questions the elasticity of undergarment latex-based flexible support material does I think you will agree, pall into insignificance.

Regards

Norman

You mean just like these guy's were made an example of?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-52...oreign-bar.html

Looks like it didn't work.

I liked the way British troops in the article are described as having a "nasty edge" when compared to those of other nations; it's good to know that some things don't change. After all, one day those good people just across the water from our Island may, as in the past, be grateful that our troops are blessed with an "edge of nastiness".

As for this guy being a legend amongst the students of Sheffield Hallam? My son (a part-time student at Hallam) tells me that on his course at least, the general consensus amongst students is that the perpetrator of the act in question is a first class jerk who should have had his nose rubbed in his own p*ss - and there's a strong rumour going around that when dealt with by the courts, the Pratt will be kicked off his course. However, we all know what rumour-mills are like - and, I should mention, that perhaps my son's fellow students are not wholly representative of the student-classes - on my son's course they are all just starting their third year of a five-year Quantity Surveying traineeship, all being employed by major construction companies, so they only attend one day per week for their degree course and the other four days are spent actually learning how to do the job.

I should also add that my son, when not spending his time on construction sites or at Sheffield Hallam, is not averse to necking the odd pint or eight - but he knows only too well that if he ever p*ssed on a war memorial then the courts would be the least of his problems, he knows beyond any shadow of doubt that I would kick him in the b*llocks so hard, he'd end up with three adam's apples.

It will be interesting to see what punishment this particular Pratt ends up with - but, as I said earlier, it shouldn't be out of proportion as some members here seem to be demanding.

Cheers-salesie.

I liked the way British troops in the article are described as having a "nasty edge" when compared to those of other nations; it's good to know that some things don't change. After all, one day those good people just across the water from our Island may, as in the past, be grateful that our troops are blessed with an "edge of nastiness".

As for this guy being a legend amongst the students of Sheffield Hallam? My son (a part-time student at Hallam) tells me that on his course at least, the general consensus amongst students is that he's a first class jerk who should have had his nose rubbed in his own p*ss - and there's a strong rumour going around that when dealt with by the courts, the Pratt will be kicked off his course. However, we all know what rumour-mills are like - and, I should mention, that perhaps my son's fellow students are not wholly representative of the student-classes - on my son's course they are all just starting their third year of a five-year Quantity Surveying traineeship, all being employed by major construction companies, so they only attend one day per week for their degree course and the other four days are spent actually learning how to do the job.

I should also add that my son, when not spending his time on construction sites or at Sheffield Hallam, is not averse to necking the odd pint or eight - but he knows only too well that if he ever p*ssed on a war memorial then the courts would be the least of his problems, he knows beyond any shadow of doubt that I would kick him in the b*llocks so hard, he'd end up with three adam's apples.

It will be interesting to see what punishment this particular Pratt ends up with - but, as I said earlier, it shouldn't be out of proportion as some members here seem to be demanding.

Cheers-salesie.

This is my point. Even when your son has a skinfull of beer, he knows never to widdle on Poppy wreaths. Laing did. Hence my anger towards him.

I am sure, salesie, that your son would never behave in such a disgusting manner, having been brought up and taught better by your good self.

However, in the unlikely event of him ever doing so, I would act with caution, for whilst the three adam's apples option is quite understandable, in today's Britain, you would probably get to serve time for assault!

Bruce

This is my point. Even when your son has a skinfull of beer, he knows never to widdle on Poppy wreaths. Laing did. Hence my anger towards him.

And he also knows, even at the age of twenty-two, how to maintain a sense of proportion despite his anger.

Cheers-salesie.

I am sure, salesie, that your son would never behave in such a disgusting manner, having been brought up and taught better by your good self.

However, in the unlikely event of him ever doing so, I would act with caution, for whilst the three adam's apples option is quite understandable, in today's Britain, you would probably get to serve time for assault!

Bruce

That's me to a tee, Bruce - never been one to observe the niceties of polite society, especially when it comes to targeting dangly bits in a good cause. :lol:

Cheers-salesie.

And he also knows, even at the age of twenty-two, how to maintain a sense of proportion despite his anger.

Cheers-salesie.

I give up :(

Quite right too Steve, I find that research into the variability and maximum stretch capability of latex-based elasticised material is a much more interesting discussion. In fact the Daily Mail has also published the offending photo I think from a slightly different angle which may help us researchers in our scientific deliberations with regard to the offending article.

Click here

Good luck with the research

Norman

Edited to add:

Having looked at the Mail photo in some detail the thought strikes me that this young lady may have been skateboarding when the garment malfunction occurred. This could explain the root cause of the problem.

The word on the Sheffield Forum from someone who says he's just back from Court:

"The case against the student has been delayed until the 4th november. "

"The reason seems unclear, but i got the impression the student intends at the moment to plead not guilty."

& further comments have been pruned.

Kath.

The word on the Sheffield Forum from someone who says he's just back from Court:

"The reason seems unclear, but i got the impression the student intends at the moment to plead not guilty."

Kath.

perhaps because of the widespread media atention he is arguing that he would be unable to have a fair trial...

Kath.

I don't know about down your way Kath, but 4th November is Mischievous Night in West Yorkshire. How very apt. I wonder what the Magistrates have in mind? :D

Al

The Star news:

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/Man-arrested...-war.5760640.jp

"Man arrested as student's war memorial case postponed."

"He was due to appear at Sheffield Magistrates' Court but was excused from attending when prosecution and defence lawyers said they would need to more time to review the evidence."

Al, I am in West Yorks., Sheffield, 'Student Land', & Mischief Night seems all the year round at times!

:-)

Kath.

Thanks for the link Phil; I will have to revisit my research into this matter. I see that she was not drunk, those were not her undergarments and she had been on antibiotics. This puts a whole new perspective on her culpability. I now see that she is a pillar of society and the epitome of sobriety in fact an excellent example of her sex (sorry about that word).

Regards

Norman

PS I see no mention of a skateboard? (Post 164)

Thanks for the link Phil; I will have to revisit my research into this matter. I see that she was not drunk, those were not her undergarments and she had been on antibiotics. This puts a whole new perspective on her culpability. I now see that she is a pillar of society and the epitome of sobriety in fact an excellent example of her sex (sorry about that word).

Regards

Norman

PS I see no mention of a skateboard? (Post 164)

She may well have been sober, they may well not have been her knickers and a pair of David Hasslehoff comedy pants as she asserts, until we HAVE THE FACTS she is in my view doing nothing more serious than larking about...she is causing no violence, no public disorder what on earth is the problem...

Just larking about, well that’s alright then. I suppose that the fact she is a Junior School Teaching Assistant (Whatever that is) and has got some undergarment around her ankles and is POSSIBLY the worse for alcohol has nothing to do with the situation as photographed whatsoever. I presume that the parents of the children that she works with will have seen the photo and will no doubt make their own minds up about the behavior of this person, with a view I guess as to whether she is a fit and proper individual to undertake the education of their children.

Quote from her Father:

John told The Sun: "The people she works for have taken a very dim view."

Regards

Norman

She`s getting international recognition now too!

"There is the type seen here on the left, in a picture taken from Thursday's Daily Mail. I've run it because it is not being seen just by the millions who read the newspaper and the website. The American-based news website Drudge Report is running it, too, and Drudge has 24m hits a day. A few more of these pictures and in America the term 'frightfully British' will mean only 'incontinent vulgar drunken Anglo-Saxon.' Up until now, it has only meant, 'bad teeth and indifferent personal hygiene.'"

http://synonblog.dailymail.co.uk/2009/10/s...ls-exactly.html

Just larking about, well that’s alright then. I suppose that the fact she is a Junior School Teaching Assistant (Whatever that is) and has got some undergarment around her ankles and is POSSIBLY the worse for alcohol has nothing to do with the situation as photographed whatsoever. I presume that the parents of the children that she works with will have seen the photo and will no doubt make their own minds up about the behavior of this person, with a view I guess as to whether she is a fit and proper individual to undertake the education of their children.

Quote from her Father:

John told The Sun: "The people she works for have taken a very dim view."

Regards

Norman

I have just been looking at some pictures of revellers clearly "drunk with excitement" if not alcohol, they are splashing about in the fountain at trafalgar square...climbing lamposts, people young and old kissing in public, there is litter everywhere, some of it is clearly evidence of behaviour which is against the law...they are from all walks of life, I daren't post the pictures as they would offend some peoples sense of decency I am sure...however simply do a search on Google Images for VE Day Celebrations...but brace yourself Norman as they are shocking examples of people enjoying themselves the people in the fountains in particular have there trousers rolled up....(gasp)