Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

This is DISGUSTING

Seadog

What a load of froth! Talk about sound and fury, signifying nothing. Every weekend in every town and city men are stabbed, beaten and kicked senseless. Women are assaulted and raped. Gangs meet and fight with every imaginable kind of weapon. This young man got rata**ed and urinated on a war memorial. I'll bet he had not the faintest idea of where he was. He has said as much. He has apologised. He has been charged and will appear in court where he will be tried, and if he is found guilty, he will be sentenced. Until then, I suggest some of the over the top screamers on this thread get out and about a bit more. Go and stand in your local city centre tonight at 10 PM and get a whiff of the real world. I'll make another wager that every one of the complainers who has served in the ranks has done as bad on a night on the town with the lads.

...is, in the main, about Remembrance

My comments were not about remembrance. They were about a system that encourages young people to kick off their university life drunk out of their heads.

I would have thought the public decency issue was principally because he urinated in public, not specifically because his target happened to be a war memorial.

In the photo he appears to have targetted the wreaths.

I have never defended this young man's actions, nor would I. I have just pointed out that there is a root cause of his behaviour that needs addressing before it destroys many other young lives as his has been. I also strongly object to trial by media which appears to be little better than mob rule. Let him appear before the courts, that is the justice that we all purport to support and for which many have fought and died. I just happen to think that the shame he has been subjected to by people who feel, perhaps rightly, that they are better than he is, may be enough.

My comments were not about remembrance. They were about a system that encourages young people to kick off their university life drunk out of their heads.

I would have thought the public decency issue was because he urinated in public, not specifically because his target happened to be a war memorial.

Gwyn,

Clearly people can choose to take the thread where they please in respect of social commentary but it was started by a post about a man urinating on a Memorial. To me, a Memorial is an act of Remembrance hence my view that the thread is, in the main, about Remembrance.

All the best,

Ian.

I find it interesting that some of those venting their bile are prepared resort to inappropriate language (the asterix does not fool anyone). Double standards perhaps?

TR

Just a thought. In Winchester is a very fine memorial to the 60th Rifles in the Great War, outside the Cathedral. Most times I visit, groups of people, young, old, middle-aged, are sitting on it, drinking or eating, or both or neither.

Is that disrespectful?

Ian - fair enough; but I didn't want to be swept up into the mass saying that the lad should forfeit everything because this happened to be a war memorial. My own memory of Freshers' Week is that a lot of people were posturing that they were having a ball, yet underneath, many were frightened, adrift and homesick. I am concerned that universities condone this sort of false, mindless introduction to university life. It must put a lot of pressure on those who want to feel their way quietly, and I bet that's a larger number than the Carnage website implies.

This rather silly young man will be in for a bit of a dressing down after his court appearance. Students generally have a good name in Sheffield, though thoughtless occurences like this do surface from time to time.

I know one or two of the engineering lecturers and I know how they would feel about this disgusting act. He will be lucky to stay at the university.

Publicity and the image portrayed by the students is an all important part of the running of the uni., so could affect its funding.

My daughter, who is starting at Hull university comes and home at weekends to work at her job, came through the door as I read the article. She is a typical teenager and fresher student type, she was shocked but not surprised at the photograph. Having been to the battlefields of France and Belgium through school, she realises and understands the importance of our memorials. She also had the opinion of one or two of our contributors, which were a little rough on he guy.

Again, it is all down to education..........or rather, the lack of it.

Complaint on the way.

I hope some Sheff Wednesday fan gives him a good old 1970's Spion Cop ki...........................well, you get my drift.

Dick

Posted on behalf of Chris Harley9

I have e mailed the uni as follows

Dear Sir/Madam

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12...-pub-crawl.html

Im sure you are only too aware of this incident. As the Secretary of the March Branch of the Royal British Legion I wish to express my & fellow members disgust at this young hooligans actions. He has not only showed his disrespect to past generations but also to those who presently serve in HM Forces. I can only hope that Sheffield Magistrates give him an appropriate punishment for his crime (Yes what ever anybody thinks he will have a criminal record). Also I would be very pleased if you could inform me what action the university authorities will be taking to punish him for bringing the university into disrepute & what action you will be taking to prevent such outrageous acts happening again

Yours Sincerely

Chris Harley

Branch Secretary

March Cambridgeshire Royal British Legion

Bingo Quote :"Students generally have a good name in Sheffield, though thoughtless occurences like this do surface from time to time."

Sorry, Bingo - drunken behaviour is usual every week.

I live amongst them as at my age I'm not up to moving out as MANY of my acquaintances have been forced to do.

Kath.

In light of the above postings I am left with no choice but to send the following email to the university

Dear Sir/Madam

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12...-pub-crawl.html

There has been a considerable public reaction and wide media attention to this incident. I do not condone the actions of the individual yet I am writing to ask that you the University authorities do not allow yourselves to be unduly influenced by the comments of those that may contact you to express their understandable and heartfelt reactions to what has happened. I ask that you only be guided by your existing rules that govern how the university deals with those students who transgress the law. The individual in question has the right to be tried in a court of law and to have a fair hearing at any internal process the university authorities deem appropriate. The Court of Public opinion should have no influence on your decision making

Yours Sincerely

I know one or two of the engineering lecturers and I know how they would feel about this disgusting act. He will be lucky to stay at the university.

Are you writing after talking to your friends in the university?

Re: He will be lucky to stay at the university. Are you stating university policy?

Has the university embarked on formal procedures as defined in their Disciplinary Regulations? If so, then I feel that there has been a breach of confidentiality or at least of trust in this statement appearing on an Internet forum.

What a load of froth! Talk about sound and fury, signifying nothing. Every weekend in every town and city men are stabbed, beaten and kicked senseless. Women are assaulted and raped. Gangs meet and fight with every imaginable kind of weapon. This young man got rata**ed and urinated on a war memorial. I'll bet he had not the faintest idea of where he was. He has said as much. He has apologised. He has been charged and will appear in court where he will be tried, and if he is found guilty, he will be sentenced. Until then, I suggest some of the over the top screamers on this thread get out and about a bit more. Go and stand in your local city centre tonight at 10 PM and get a whiff of the real world. I'll make another wager that every one of the complainers who has served in the ranks has done as bad on a night on the town with the lads.

This post just about sums it up for me. I have just read an account of a soldier hitting another with a pint glass while on leave. The man lost his eye. The soldier was sentenced and later went on to serve. This was 1914. A soldier with the same name is listed on CWGC. To the hang 'em and flog 'em brigade: doesn't the lad deserve a second chance?

Al

I've sent this email to Hallam:

"Yes, his action was despicable - but the whole scene needs cleaning up.

Philip Laing was not alone.

Don't make him the Scapegoat."

I'm also wondering who pays for the Police presence & the street cleaning.

Kath.

Just sent to the University:-

Sir

You no doubt have been made fully aware of the overwhelming feelings of disgust and shame that the recent appalling event regarding the drunk student pictured urinating on the War Memorial have engendered with the majority of the public. Not only has the University been dragged into disrepute but this distressing episode has also been publicised outside of the UK which adds another embarrassing dimension to the situation.

I hope that the University adopts a robust attitude to this persons drunken behaviour which will will result in serious consequences for the student involved which in my opinion is the least that the University can do to try and redress the disrepute and negative publicity that it has without fail suffered.

Yours etc

Again, posted on behalf of ChrisHarley9

Subject: Re: SHEFFIELD WAR MEMORIAL

Dear Mr Harley,

Thank you for your comments.

Whilst the University is not responsible for the actions of individual students, we do not condone this student’s behaviour in any way.

The University has a rigorous disciplinary procedure in place. In cases where there are also criminal proceedings, we follow national guidelines and do not hold disciplinary hearings until the criminal case has been concluded. However, we have started the disciplinary process for this student.

I would like to take this opportunity to assure you that the actions of this one student do not represent Hallam’s 30,000 strong student community. We work closely with the Students’ Union, City Council, police and other community organisations all year, in order to promote good community relations and safe drinking.

Lorna Branton

Head of External Communications

Internet vigilantism and kangeroo courts come to mind. The student in question will be dealt with accordingly I am sure - by those appointed to judge.

Al

You reepeth what you soweth

Mr. Morse wrote the Bible long before he got around to his tome on the Sherwood Foresters. If you see a Gideon Bible inscribed, "Best wishes from the author" it is probably because he stayed in the same hotel room as the one you are in.

Internet vigilantism and kangeroo courts come to mind.

Totally agree.

If the action of one student is sufficient to bring the entire university into disrepute, then having viewed the opinions voiced about it on the arrse forum, I feel I can extrapolate that most of the service personnel who post on there are a bunch of thugs.

PS I have not emailed General Sir David Richards to tell him about it.

Bingo Quote :"Students generally have a good name in Sheffield, though thoughtless occurences like this do surface from time to time."

Sorry, Bingo - drunken behaviour is usual every week.

I live amongst them as at my age I'm not up to moving out as MANY of my acquaintances have been forced to do.

Kath.

I'm sorry to hear of it all, my ex-colleagues have a very high regard for their students and the ones I have met have been top lads, most in the mech. & chem. eng. areas. We take many from Sheffield Uni and a few have settled in this area.

When I was at the old Poly in Manchester, drunken studity was an everyday hazard.

Doesn't excuse anything, though.

Having deleted some personal sniping, I am going to call a short cooling-off period.