Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

This is DISGUSTING

Seadog

And some of them, Mr Boat, are not wearing knotted hankies on their heads.

The Health and Safety implications :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE TODAY (4/11/09)

Jail threat for urinating student

A student who was pictured urinating over a war memorial has been warned that he could face jail after pleading guilty to outraging public decency.

Sheffield Hallam University student Philip Laing, 19, from Macclesfield, Cheshire, was photographed following a drinking session in Sheffield.

He was charged after the picture appeared on the Daily Mail website.

A judge, adjourning the case until 26 November, said his actions would have caused "distress, shock and sadness".

District Judge Anthony Browne told Laing, who appeared in court wearing a poppy on his dark suit, that all options were open, including custody.

He said: "The image of you urinating over the poppy wreath on the war memorial in this city will make most people turn away in disgust, shock and sadness.

"It has undoubtedly distressed and upset many. The war memorial is a sacred and special place."

The court heard that Laing, a sports technology student, had drunk a bottle of whisky before attending an organised student drinking session.

District Judge Browne criticised Carnage UK, the private company that organised the event.

"Carnage is the name of the organisation who promote this type of activity and some might say that somebody should be standing alongside you this morning," he said.

The court heard Laing had no recollection of the events of the night of 11 October until he was contacted by the university press office and shown the photograph, which later appeared on the newspaper's website.

Ian Conway, prosecuting, said Laing had immediately admitted the offence when arrested and told police he was "very, very drunk, the drunkest I've ever been since I've been at university".

Mr Conway said: "The disgusting and reprehensible act the defendant carried out was in no way premeditated, targeted or politically motivated.

"His actions were sadly the result of having consumed large amounts of alcohol."

In mitigation, Tim Hughes said his client was "a young man caught up in a culture of drinking far too much and as a result of that this is what has occurred".

He added that Laing's grandparents had fought in the war and said the defendant had learned his lesson.

"It's difficult to articulate just how embarrassed and ashamed this young man is."

The case was adjourned for pre-sentence reports and Laing was released on bail.

That was quick Salfordian. We must be a bit slow on the uptake over here. I've only just heard the news on the trailer for Look North news. :D

Al

That was quick Salfordian. We must be a bit slow on the uptake over here. I've only just heard the news on the trailer for Look North news. :D

Al

I have been keeping an eye on Mr. Laings case and thought the GWF would want to know.

Prison? Way over the top i'm afraid.

Roger

Prison? Way over the top i'm afraid.

Roger

Don't be silly, Roger.

Got to keep the Daily Mail and the people who read it happy..

Don't be silly, Roger.

Got to keep the Daily Mail and the people who read it happy..

In which case, they need to start building the gallows now!

Roger

Guest KevinEndon

Treat him as if he were in the army. Give him a bucket of soapy water and a toothbrush and make him clean the whole memorial, a far fitting punishment than 2 weeks in H.M.P. Butlins.

Kevin.

Only what certain Police Forces are now doing with late night revellers etc, clean up your own mess so to speak (no bad thing in my opinion). After which maybe he could brush his teeth with the same brush.

Stephen

Lock the b****r up!

Bye

Norman

Edited to add:

Stephen just read your post, super idea and I love the sound of the new-style mouthwash!

Not to worry.

He'll receive a "warm" welcome if he ever has the courage to return to his Home Town.

George

Another part of his defence was that he once did some work experience with the army.

Whatever happens to him it won't matter a jot, he is now famous, won't be long before the job offers come in for him....probably the best career move he ever made. Fine him and then forget him.

Mick

I see that this story made the main ITV news tonight. The report came after the one about the murder of five UK soldiers in Afghanistan and before what was to my mind a poignant ending to the bulletin featuring the poppy and remembrance. Which ever way you look at it the behaviour of this yob was an insult not just to those who gave their lives for us in the past but to those who continue to make the ultimate sacrifice today. Whatever his sentence it must be severe enough to act as a salutary lesson and warning to those who feel that such revolting behaviour can ever be justified.

Regards

Norman

You've convinced me, Norman. In normal circumstances, a public excoriation by the judge, followed by a hefty fine and a sentence of community service would be sufficient, but at this time of heightened national emotion, something more extreme is clearly called for. Would a public hanging, drawing and quartering on Horse Guards' Parade next Sunday morning satisfy you ...?

... that excellent newspaper the SUN

Now you are taking the p*** :lol:

Seadog may prefer that this man is Keel hauled. The trouble with keel hauling is that that you only see an end result, no actual pain being inflicted, best go with Siege Gunner's idea.

I would like to think that the Judge has scared the hell out of the young man and a sensible sentance is imposed, but that never seems to happen.

Alan

I have not followed this young man's trial. I am content to let the law of the land take its course. That is what freedom and democracy is about, isn't it, or have I missed something?

The law of the land does and will take its course but democracy also means that you can discuss and disagree with it. People are free to feel repulsed and reviled and to express those feelings. Norman just wants the sentence to reflect that, I can't see him calling for anything more than a just sentence and I think its a bit unfair exagerating his statement. I'm sure there are war memorials all over the country that smell of pee every Saturday or Sunday morning, the difference is that this occassion was filmed and for many people one single picture sums up the youth of today. It obviously doesn't, it sums up one pathetic individuals inability to hold his drink.

By passing a stronger punishment than a fine will severely damage this mans future and I think there is one thing guaranteed, he won't do it again. Who knows he might even prove to be a valuable member of the community ( as long as he keeps out of banking, politics and law ).

Mick

I'm normally in the hang 'em and flog 'em mob for many offences but I think this lad shoud get about 300 hours community service, hopefully doing street cleaning. Then he might feel a bit disgusted with himself.

John

I wonder what penalty the photographer and the mail should face for exposing the offence to millions and causing such offence.

This young fool has already been treated as few other allegedly intelligent young students have been. A sensible course of action would indeed be a period of community service. we should then let him get on with his life, and resume our justifiable contempt for the Mail and all its works.

Keith

I have not followed this young man's trial. I am content to let the law of the land take its course. That is what freedom and democracy is about, isn't it, or have I missed something?

Content deleted - modern politics

Al

Edited by MagicRat
Modern Politics