Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

This is DISGUSTING

Seadog

It seems to me that just occasionally the judiciary gets it right.

The judge in this case has postponed sentence, whilst warning the young man that all possible sentences are available. He will now be spending the intervening weeks terrified of being sent to prison, with the effects that could have on the rest of his life.

Whilst one cannot in any way condone the moronic behaviour of this young man, few of us can put hand on heart and declare that in the past we haven't had a few too many and done some pretty silly things which we now wish we hadn't. I am in no way trying to defend his actions, for I am as repulsed as anyone else, but it was his bad fortune to have his stupidity captured on film.

I expect that when he comes back to Court, he will receive a number of hours of Community Service, during which he can ponder the error of his ways, whilst also considering the role of the group which sets out to get students so drunk that they can't remember their actions.

Bruce

I can't honestly see that sending him to prison would be a good use of public money.

Keith's point that he "has already been treated as few other ... young students have been" is a good one. Three Facebook hate sites, villification on numerous Internet forums, humiliation in the press, righteous rants on the red-tops' message boards, he's been tried, convicted and sentenced by online mobs in forums far less restrained than this one.... He's only just past being a child. He was an idiot that evening. I know what he did was awful, but seeing how the Internet now gives all of us a public, anonymous voice, it's scary to think what people would do or say - or not - about something truly important.

.....Would a public hanging, drawing and quartering on Horse Guards' Parade next Sunday morning satisfy you ...?

Mick

Perhaps we could move this to the other side of Horse Guards on to Whitehall. I wouldn't want the Queen to miss it :lol:

Perhaps that's not such a good idea after all as I have the sector between Downing St & Parliament Square tomorrow :blush:

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

250 hours well at least it is something and this great advert for British youth has still to face the Unis disciplinary action, lets hope that is severe.

Norman

... the Unis disciplinary action, lets hope that is severe.

Halt, this is the Apostrophe Police! You're under arrest for the cold-blooded murder of the English tongue!

Halt, this is the Apostrophe Police! You're under arrest for the cold-blooded murder of the English tongue!

Who says the Yanks don't do irony? :lol:

Adrian

Hopefully, he can now complete his education and move on.

Most of us can be grateful that, when we were that young and that drunk, there was no internet.

this great advert for British youth has still to face the Unis disciplinary action, lets hope that is severe

I fail to understand how the university has any disciplinary competence or authority in this case, which relates to an offence that was not committed on college premises and has already been dealt with by the proper authorities. The young man is an adult, so the university is not 'in loco parentis', nor is it a public authority - it is a commercial service-provider which the student and/or his parents is paying to supply him with educational services. Is the student also facing disciplinary action from the organisations that he pays to provide him with health services, legal services or any other kind of services?

There must be disciplinary procedures relating to a code of conduct for students at all Uni`s (note the apostrophe) or else there would be chaos and no sanctions for anything. Surely this prime example will at the least be guilty of bringing the University into disrepute.

Norman

Edited to add:

From the BBC report:

A spokesman for Sheffield Hallam University said: "The university has already initiated disciplinary proceedings against this student. "Now that the judicial process has been completed we will arrange a disciplinary hearing to decide appropriate sanctions”.

A spokesman for Sheffield Hallam University said: "The university has already initiated disciplinary proceedings against this student. "Now that the judicial process has been completed we will arrange a disciplinary hearing to decide appropriate sanctions".

I'd like to hear the opinion of one of the forum's legal eagles on this statement, which suggests that the university has decided what the outcome of the 'disciplinary hearing' will be before it has even taken place.

It's not uncommon for disciplinary proceedings to commence before a case has come to court if the offence breaches that organisations rules or code of conduct, though they are ussually held in abeyance pending the police investigation or trial, this can, depending on the organisation and the nature of the offence lead to a period of suspension and this can only be done through the disciplinary process hence why they generally start them when the matter comes to light but don't conclude them until the outcome of the case. Most organisations that can impose sanctions on their members have a statutory or common law duty to conduct fair process including some form of investigative process. Most organisations will steer clear of conducting internal investigations pending any criminal proceedings for fear or prejudicing the criminal proceedings. Also as the police have greater investigative powers than most organisations and criminal law operates with a higher burden of proof "beyond all reasonable doubt" as opposed to the burden of proof which applies to most internal process which is the civil burden of proof "on the balance of probabilities" allowing the criminal process to conclude which leads to a conviction will generally absolve organisations from the need to conduct internal investigations. In this instance it appears they commenced internal proceedings and held it in abeyance pending trial. Because in this instance the defendant entered an early guilty plea there is theoretically no reason why the university couldn't have dealt with it earlier unless their rules specify otherwise.

Have no doubts this was a severe punishmenrt...I have known much more serious offences of theft, dishonesty, assault, drink driving and others get lesser punishments than this.

The title of the this thread is "This is Disgusting" what is more disgusting to me that this individual had been tried in the court of public opinion before it ever got to a court of law and that meant that he was always going to get a more severe punishment than the offence warrants and he has....well done all those who wrote to papers and MP's and gave this a lot of publicity...you got what you wanted....hope you feel proud.

The title of the this thread is "This is Disgusting" what is more disgusting to me that this individual had been tried in the court of public opinion before it ever got to a court of law and that meant that he was always going to get a more severe punishment than the offence warrants and he has....well done all those who wrote to papers and MP's and gave this a lot of publicity...you got what you wanted....hope you feel proud.

Hear Hear. (Sorry Norman)

Roger

I fully support the last posts by Gunboat and Roger. This young man will have been treated more harshly than many much more serious offenders, and I trust that the University will have the sense to regard the matter as closed.

Keith

I remain concerned about the part played by the photographer. Why was he hanging around the memorial, did he have any communication with the drunk? How much did that revolting rag pay him, or was he a staffer sent out to look for trouble?

Anyway, it's not in the Mail. Norman and I won't believe it until it is :innocent:

One wonders what a few people round here would make of the case of Finchingfield, where a German gentleman broke his leg on the top of the war memorial...

Adrian

Let me guess - did his parachute land him on it ...?

:D

http://209.85.135.132/search?q=cache:t0DcK...nk&ie=UTF-8

Not only are you lot sharp, and quick, but that's my article! I just hope the spacing errors I can see in it are a result of justification, and not mine... In fact they must be, I remember spell chequeing it!

Adrian